Cabin Sole Replacement

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
Wow, really appreciate the photos.

Now, I have an S2 9.2 A but the set up is probably the same. Do the photos point forward and aft? How does water get past the vertical barriers/substructure?

Don
All the photos are looking forward from the bilge access hole under the companionway , behind the stairs. Camera and flashlight reaching forward as far forward as I could get my arm in the hole.

The flat portion is the top of the lead in the keel. It seems to be well glassed over. The hose running the length of the "shallow bilge" under the floor, is the shower sump drain (I believe). The tube that the hose runs through is what allows any water to drain from the bow to the bilge.

I too thought the dent in the flooring by the main bulkhead was due to the "compression post" sinking, but it doesn't look like that under the floor. The bottom of the floor at the bulkhead above the fiberglass tabbing looks smooth and solid. No sign of rot or discoloration. hmmm, nothing under the floor looks bad, albeit, to my untrained eye. I don't even see what I would call a "mast step" under that bulkhead, or any buildup of the bulkhead for a post. i'm not even sure its a true compression post. It looks like the weight of the mast etc is taken by that bulkhead, mostly on the starboard side, because the head door is not structural.

I've come to the conclusion that the bulkhead and mast support is basically solid, although I can think of a few improvements if I were ever to take it all apart and rebuilt it. I don't see the need for it now.

Mar 11, 2013
S2 9.2 Port Washington, WI
Very informative.... I'm going to find a camera to do the same! Will advise what I find.

Don

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
this is what it looks like under the sub floor by the head area...the pic on the right is looking forward...the pic on the left is looking aft with the mast step support replaced from the old one being rotted out ..was replaced with mahogany timber and bedded in thickened epoxy and glass cloth aft of the mast support is a cavity with a lot of foam filled in it all the way to the bilge part of the keel ...the hose closest to center of hull is the new shower drain sump hose the hose on the left is the new wire chase hose to accommodate the flux gate compass and depth transducer cables

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
OK here is a pic of the striped floor it is coated with resin and was bonded with some kind of floor adhesive i took an air chisel and dug it up and then took a 4.5 inch angle grinder and cleaned the surface...in the top right of the pic is where i replaced some old sub straight that was rotted out with an polyester coated plywood it is coated on both sides and has a gel coat both sides you can see a couple of core drilled holes on the right side of the pic the were to locate the stringer i had a squeaky spot and need to fasten it down before recovering the sub floor

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
A little hijack.... Any idea of how u would clean the bilges if weren't pulling the sole up?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
A little hijack.... Any idea of how u would clean the bilges if weren't pulling the sole up?
if you mean under the sole where there is no access it will be almost impossible to do that the only thing i can think of would be to mix up some bleach water and pour it in every space you can and let it run through the the bilge in the keel and pump it out then rinse with clean water and pump it out

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Top of the keel could be relatively easier with a brush pole with a lot of articulations. Going up the hull would be tricky. Whole thing would have to go through a 12" square hatch between the galley and nav sta. (11.0a). This is one of many I think about if I can't sleep....there has to be a way.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Top of the keel could be relatively easier with a brush pole with a lot of articulations. Going up the hull would be tricky. Whole thing would have to go through a 12" square hatch between the galley and nav sta. (11.0a). This is one of many I think about if I can't sleep....there has to be a way.
if you look in my pic of the stripped floor just in front of the companion way stairs you will notice a 16 x 12 hatch cut in the floor to access the bilge area of the keel i can do some cleaning through that hatch but i did make a shower sump box and glassed it in killing the bilge access some what through that hatch....i can still remove the engine cover and clean it from there i also have 2 bilge pumps mounted under the engine 750 on bottom and about 14 inches higher on the ss pole above the first pump i have a 1500 pump mounted i can pull the pumps out for service and clean the bilge that way ...but the best sanitation thing i have done is to build the shower sump box with float switch ( water witch) mounted in it along with a 6" beckson inspection port for clean out of the ss strainer .... i have a diaphragm pump ( jabsco 3.2 gallon or is that amps ) pulling the waste water to the out side of the boat...i just hated the thought of shower water going directly in to the bilge and sitting there for great periods of time( the damn stuff sowers over time and we know that there is no way for the bilge pump to get it all out ) on a side note i had to vent the sump box to get the water from the shower to drain in the box...i will try to post some pics of all that later today

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wow...all I can say is better you than me....I definitely know the Admiral says that. But how do I clean my shallow bilge??

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Wow...all I can say is better you than me....I definitely know the Admiral says that. But how do I clean my shallow bilge??

if your 11.0 is like my 9.2 all you can get to is the main bilge in the keel area and forward into where the depth transducer is there should be an access for that transducer or your speed wheel ..you will have to clean that area by hand and in the deep bilge part use a scrub brush on a handle and use lots of disinfectant and rinse a lot or go my direction and gut the boat and clean it while its apart there was not much planning in the way of cleaning the blind spots under the cabin sole

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
OK got the teak and holly fitted and glued down over the t day weekend glued it down with a polyurethane based adhesive made by locktite call PL pro line

cut and fitted the panels and adjusted several times before gluing them down and it was tight in there when i put down the main sheet sorta like back one in to a corner with no place to be pics are attached they are from port aft to starboard forward and the last two are of the access hatches in the floor

now that's better

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Looking great! Did you bevel the edges forward? That must have been nerve wracking.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I was thinking about forward on the starboard side against the curve of the hull.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I was thinking about forward on the starboard side against the curve of the hull.
no its only 1/4 inch thick and i will have to glue carpet in that little area or saw kerf a sheet and scribe fit it to the hull curve and bond it down don't know which just yet more than likely carpet ...i will fill any void in that curve with with thickened epoxy......and yes it was a job matching the holly lines

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Didn't it have carpet there originally? Mine does. Was the original 1/4"? I kinda like the carpet there as u have a nice nonskid area while underway. (And other times)..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I also hung a fire extinguisher in a droopy horizontal position below the louvred doors. It's out of the way and visible..