Cabin light wiring, ground location

Oct 12, 2018
Catalina 30 Holiday Harbor, San Pedro, CA
Hello everyone,
I’m trying to locate the ground lug, strap or location. I lost my cabin lights. So I started checking voltage and showing about five volts. I suspect it’s a corroded or dirty ground. But I started tracing circuit from breaker and the black wire (- ground) is in the wire bundle with cabin, running, steaming lights. So I’m thinking the black wire must connect with a common ground point. Obviously I’m going to do some more investigating.

but I’m thinking why wouldn’t the ground connect directly with the battery ground? The batteries are directly below the circuit breaker panel.

thank you in advance,
Ed Garcia

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
First, take a wire and connect to the ground bar on circuit breaker panel and the other end to ground wire of light fixtures and see if the light works as expected. If so then run a new ground wire.

Oct 27, 2018
Catalina 30 San Francisco
In my '80 C30 there's a few three-way connectors up above the ice box. They were corroded. This didn't solve MY problem, but I was glad to know they were there.

Oct 12, 2018
Thank you. I’m on my way to the boat now to attempt to solve my electrical problem. I appreciate you helping out. I’ll report back with update.
Ed

Oct 12, 2018
Quick update. I replaced a section of ground wire in the wire harness that included the cabin lights circuit. It solved my problem. At some point I’m going to have to replace the entire wire harness just due to age.

thank you