C310 Bulkhead replacement cost?

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
I'm looking at a 2000 C310 that appears to have a significant leak at the chainplates that have damaged the bulkhead. Let's assume that the bulkhead is rotted and this is more than cosmetic. I'm trying to get a swag cost for the repair and curious if others have any idea on that? From what I read the buytl tape is easy enough to install to stop the leak. Did Catalina provide an updated chainplate design/part that reduced water leakage?

IMG_20200512_163547353-679x906.jpg IMG_20200512_161239975-679x906.jpg IMG_20200512_161255902-1207x1811.jpg

The bulkhead near the bench seat is damp still (even with a winter cover).
IMG_20200512_161937896-1207x905.jpg

Then there's additional water damage near the floor and centerline.
IMG_20200512_161541386-1207x1811.jpg

I appreciate estimates on the cost to fix as well as suggestions for how to fix it.

thank you!

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Catalina Yachts will have the temp plates for the bulkheads and cost that you are looking for.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Can't help on the cost. It's not too difficult of a project. But that is some of the most poorly maintained chainplates I've seen on a 310. Make sure you get a survey and I suspect you will find other issues.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My yard would charge by the hour on that job. I'd guess 2-3 days plus material, I don't know of any 310 having replaced the bulkheads, plenty of posts on rebeding hardware. I believe there is a different chain plate design on the later 310, I don't know if that helps stop leaks or not.

You could look up bulkhead replacement on Catalina 30s and O'Day 25s for work ideas.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Can't help on the cost. It's not too difficult of a project. But that is some of the most poorly maintained chainplates I've seen on a 310. Make sure you get a survey and I suspect you will find other issues.
+1. The sealing on the chainplates is really easy to do. No excuse for that.

Apr 19, 2020
Catalina 310 Kenosha, WI
Thanks everyone for the advice and estimates. I did speak with someone from Catalina and it seems there are a few options to address the bulkhead repair ranging from replacing the just the veneer in the affected section to replacing the entire bulkhead. He said they probably could sell me a piece of veneer pre-finished for the entire bulk head. So it looks like the cost is mostly in the labor assuming this is only a cosmetic problem. The surveyor will confirm that. The area that is likely the most damaged is the part below the settee.

As for rebedding the chainplates, it seems there are two different methods I found on the forums: buytl tape or something like 3M 4200 that can handle the flexing of the chainplate under load. Do I have that right? For what it's worth I'll note that Catalina said they used Sikaflex-505 originally at the factory. Any pros/cons to either?

thanks again folks!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks everyone for the advice and estimates. I did speak with someone from Catalina and it seems there are a few options to address the bulkhead repair ranging from replacing the just the veneer in the affected section to replacing the entire bulkhead. He said they probably could sell me a piece of veneer pre-finished for the entire bulk head. So it looks like the cost is mostly in the labor assuming this is only a cosmetic problem. The surveyor will confirm that. The area that is likely the most damaged is the part below the settee.

As for rebedding the chainplates, it seems there are two different methods I found on the forums: buytl tape or something like 3M 4200 that can handle the flexing of the chainplate under load. Do I have that right? For what it's worth I'll note that Catalina said they used Sikaflex-505 originally at the factory. Any pros/cons to either?

thanks again folks!
I like Sikaflex products better than 3M in general. But I chose Lifecaulk Polysulfide when I first did them in 2010. That helps up fine, even after 175 mph winds, until last year. Then I removed them and did buytl tape similar to Curt. For a quick band aid, you can lift the cover plate and use either product after some cleaning with dental picks. But I think butyl tape (Bed-It brand from Marinehowto.com) is the best choice.

Good luck with the survey

Jesse