C27TR Stem Reinforcement

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
This is a topic I've not seen on this website. I have a 1986 C27TR. The front forestay is anchored to the bow via a stem. This is a metal bracket approx. 6-8 inch below the small bowspirit on all Catalina TR's. It has 3 heavy bolts, bolting the bracket to the bow. The bracket is starting to pull away from the hull.
I've gone inside the boat and removed the small wooden bulkhead right behind the anchor well. As expected, the bracket has a wooden backing plate with a additional (but smaller) metal backing plate. Water has gotten to the wooden backing plate, it has begun to rot and needs to be replaced.

Has anyone preformed this repair. Nothing technical. Pretty straight forward.....except, I'd like to do this with the mast up. Has anyone done this job?

Jul 28, 2012
Catalina 27 Annapolis
I did this exact repair this winter. Step one was to track down the leak which turned out to be the fitting and hose on the anchor locker drain. Replaced that first. The plastic version of the backing block can be purchased at Catalina Direct: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...lock-cp-22-c-22-c-25-bow-eye-c-27-bobstay.cfm

When loosening the bobstay I attached one of the halyards to the bow cleat and bow rail stanchion to provide support while the bobstay was without tension.

The new backing block doesn't have holes drilled. This was by far the hardest part. I used my old block as a template. Transfer the hole positions on the front and back with a pencil. Draw lines on the sides of the block between the top and bottom of each hole. You will see the angles. Triple check your work. Pick the appropriate sized drill bit for you bolts. I was at the marina so I C-clamped the block to a picnic table and free hand drilled the holes by holding the drill at the proper angle. The plastic drills easily. Most likely the bolts in the new block and the existing holes in the hull will not exactly fit the first time. Dry fit everything. Enlarge the holes in the block as needed to give yourself a few degrees of freedom. Put it all together and seal the stem fitting with LifeCaulk or similar. Tighten the bolts and you are done. I reused the bolts and the metal backing plate. Don't forget to re tension the bobstay. I marked the position of the turnbuckle so I could achieve the previous tension.

If I had to do it again, I would:

1. Replace the nuts and bolts while I was there. Make sure to use bolts rated for those losds
2. Bed the new block in a bed of epoxy where it contacts the hull in the interior (wax or packing tape the block so it can be removed)
3. Maybe reshape block in lieu of (2) to avoid point loading

I have photos of the process if the would be helpful.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Sailorhokie,
Thanks for the reply. I thought it might be a simple repair, but was concern about the mast being up and relieving the tension on the stem. Your answer gave me exactly what I needed. ^*((*&% the torpedoes, full speed ahead.