C275 Problems

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I've been putting uppers aft, but now looking at 2013 boat show pictures, looks like they put uppers forward. Makes more sense to give the most leverage to where it needs it the most. Granted 4" leverage is not much. The manual's "sail plan" and "mast, standing rigging" drawings shows aft. I've had the yard want to put them forward, but this was because they are about an inch short. Selden gave me extensions so now it isn't a problem.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2014
I've been putting uppers aft, but now looking at 2013 boat show pictures, looks like they put uppers forward. Makes more sense to give the most leverage to where it needs it the most. Granted 4" leverage is not much. The manual's "sail plan" and "mast, standing rigging" drawings shows aft. I've had the yard want to put them forward, but this was because they are about an inch short. Selden gave me extensions so now it isn't a problem.
seems like a simple question... but doesn't seem to be a consistent approach... as I've see other photos where they are like yours. In fact if you look at the Catalina site it looks like they have boats that are rigged both ways. this is the challenge that Catalina owners have faced since they subbed out the Mast to Selden, each says go ask the other...

Mar 11, 2014
seems like a simple question... but doesn't seem to be a consistent approach... as I've see other photos where they are like yours. In fact if you look at the Catalina site it looks like they have boats that are rigged both ways. this is the challenge that Catalina owners have faced since they subbed out the Mast to Selden, each says go ask the other...
Got a reply from Catalina - Their manual recommends the upper go on the aft chain plate. Funny how the picture of the boat on their site actually has them the opposite way (upper Forward)

Apr 18, 2020
J-boat J/105 Fort Walton Beach
So I stupidly stepped on the companionway perspex cover while rigging the main...it cracked. I'm only 180lbs so was a bit surprised it didn't bear my weight. I was wondering whether anyone else had had same issue?

Also, at least on my boat (#24) there's nowhere to add a lock on the hatch...what do others do?

Another also...there's no ventilation fan it seems. Anyone added a fan? (I live in panhandle of Florida where it can be steamy!)

I'm thinking of replacing the heavy perspex companionway slats with a lighter, single sheet that includes a vent/fan. We did this on our J/80 a few years ago. We felt good that we'd saved 5 lbs of weight...

Thanks chaps

Jun 6, 2016
It's scary to know that the cover to protect you from falling into the cabin may allow you to fall into the cabin. Wonder how much UV damage plays into this? I wax mine at least once a year with a paste wax, but I'll certainly avoid fully standing on them in the future.

As for the fan, I was with hole saw and fan in hand away from drilling into the hatch cover and bailed because I couldn't pull the trigger knowing it would cost $600 to reverse my work. I ended up installing a computer fan into the stern and I'll go make a post in "pimp".

Saving 5 lbs is always good, but with the C275, it's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Apr 18, 2020
agree on lipstick...but psychologically it helps!

interested in the fan idea!! I'll read the post with interest!

PMK

Dec 3, 2016
Catalina 275S Annapolis, MD
I lock my companionway by closing the top hatch and putting a padlock through the hole drilled in the aft edge of the sliding hatch.

Jun 6, 2016
Took a picture of the lock last night. For fit and finish the whole companion way cover is a little Mickey Moused.

P1040051.JPG

Jun 6, 2016
I did say it was Mickey Moused. It's only there to keep the honest people honest. Just another place Catalina cut corners.

Apr 18, 2020
ah that's a good idea - been trying to figure out how to lock it, even if it's a flimsy deterrent.

By the way, I stepped on the companionway cover while it was shut and it fractured... surprised it didn't bear my weight (175lbs)...