C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I like your rubber mat-- can you give me the source?
Sure.

I bought it from Princess Auto, a locally based Canadian chain store.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/checker-plate-rolled-rubber-mat-by-the-foot-/A-p8681645e

Based on the MSDS, it is imported by Premlene, a US based, chinese rubber goods importer.
https://www.premlene.com

I bought the lighter weight checker plate pattern.
It is on a 39" wide roll.

Give Premlene a call and they may know where you can find it in Texas.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I've been able to tie a 11 lb Worthington tank on the narrow deck outside the stern pulpit, between the starboard foremost stern pulpit rail, and the starboard stern cleat.
Great minds think alike. That is the same area I will likely be installing mine.
I previously had my solar panel on the starboard side, but I swapped things a month ago due to our slip position at the marina.
We tie up on the starboard side, with the tiller stowed over to port, to ease access.
Our solar panel now sits on the top of the port stern pulpit, with the life ring below it.
BBQ is mounted on the starboard stern pulpit. That corner is just the right size to hang a propane tank. Having the BBQ there makes it even better. :D

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I wisely credit this to the Admiral, for how well she packs things.;) And I installed a couple padeyes to bungee the Yeti in place, up in the forepeak. Not taking chances with that sucker.
Packing IS the key. Though, in our case we have nothing of any real weight forward, ABOVE the lockers. We have our cooking pots and misc stuff in a tote, stored in the actual big forward locker.
Now that access is easier, more stuff with be put there next season.

If we are really worried about the item, but need quick access, it is in the side cargo nets. (not in photo because they got in the way when trying to trim the rubber)

Having the yeti up there makes sense. That keeps the weight forward and there is not really another place to put it.
Some have it under the table but that isn't ideal IMO.

I have a plan to partially solve the cooler issue.
I have a bunch of leftover teak and veneered plywood, which may just become a custom wood, hyperinsulated cooler, that fits in the original cooler location.
I may also convert the garbage bin to a cooler/fridge.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice to you are making progress James !
(not that progress is the point of being retired and sailing) :D
Maybe you can meet up with some of the SBO forum crew ?

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
Hmm, I wonder if that rubber matting would be good on the cabin sole too? Right now we have carpet, but being able to pull the mats out and hose them off is attractive... Of course, the has to be a way for water to run into the bilge, but that shouldn't be hard to do. (This thread is full of good ideas!)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hmm, I wonder if that rubber matting would be good on the cabin sole too?
We have a rubber mat on the cabin sole right at the companionway.
It extends from the cooler step to the middle of the table.

It is one of those mats with rubber fingers that trap and hold dirt.

Unfortunately it was a bit too wide, and trimming it to shape has decreased it's dirt holding ability due to the port side edge of the mat being trimmed away.
In spite of that, it still works well enough.

Easy to pick it up and dump the sand/dirt over the side. :)

Now if I could just figure out a way to make this unseasonably cold fall weather go away..

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Send it here!! We'll take it!!
I doubt you would want this.... It is 50 F right now.. tonight's low is 33.8 F

Sunday night will be just below freezing, So I need to put new carpet on the trailer bunks and go get the boat this weekend. :(

Winter seems to be coming a month early. :(

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I hope you will check my personal F B page https://www.facebook.com/jmczzz to follow our cruise. I do plan on a lot of looking out for some of those guys. planning a stop in the FLA Crystal River. is the C22 sailor there around? Don't recall his Boat name but think I remember the color green somewhere. jmc

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
You're probably thinking of David Heckman and his beautifully restored green C-22 "PeeWee." If my memory serves me right, he sold the boat a couple of years ago.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
He's sailing a Sea Pearl 21 these days. Very cool boat for the thin water around here. He can literally sail in six inches of water, and the setup/takedown time is under ten minutes singlehanded.

He's active on the trailer-sailing facebook groups, if anyone is looking for him.

Really ? I hope @hawk232 still sailing something. His C22 looked great.

Based on forum software not accepting his user ID as a tag, I can only guess he is no longer a SBO forum member. :(

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
Howdy everyone!!! I am still around, and still sailing (seriously, what kind of question is that??? once sailing gets in ones blood, one does not "stop" sailing!!!)

I did sell peewee a few years back. Setup time and depth requirements made it a two plus hour ordeal to go sailing (drive/motor time + rigging time), so i bought a boat that rigs in under 15 minutes and can sail in 8" of water!

@jmczzz if you think you will make it to crystal river, send me a message and i will give you my phone number.

Here is video of the sea pearl in the gulf between Placida and Cayo Costa