C22 New Style "Stormwatch" Purchase and Refit

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yup. those are Safety Hasps.
I have a set of new ones in my toolbox which i plann(ed) to install.
There are cheaper units available but they don't latch as well.
Good choice... unless @Gene Neill can find photos of those magic beneteau latches he mentioned. :D

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I was worried about flooding in a knockdown too. I just installed these new latches on my cockpit lazarettes. If you twist the ends, they have substantial friction that seems to lock them very tight, even without locks attached. I had to bend the latches slightly on a vice, and file the bolt heads flat (under the padlock eye) to get them to fit properly, but no real trouble at all. I did have to install them with the hinge bending the other way, so that the bolt heads are exposed, rather than covered by the latch. The tolerances are tight after installed. I like them a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHBWQAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, those are what I have now. But it’s so much troublllllle to have to turn the little thingy every time!! LOL

The Beneteau had latches that clicked shut when the hatch closed, and a push button to release them.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
The dog will save himself. So it's down to the Admiral or the rum.

How much does your wife earn annually? :laugh:
LOL!!! ...always leave it to Gene to put things into proper perspective!!!

(Gene, if you're ever done sailin', local comedy clubs are in demand for talent...you could give Rodney Dangerfield and Groucho a run for their money, really!)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The Beneteau had latches that clicked shut when the hatch closed, and a push button to release them.
I have looked at slam latches but so far can't find one that works perfect due to how the lid is designed.
The latch would need to be mounted on the side of the lid, like the existing hasp.

What is really needed on both is something that latches onto a metal u shaped bar. Like an old vehicle hood latch. Or a hook that locks into a slot.

The Safety hasp is good, but I worry about that one time we forget to latch it.
I figure since I'm installing new ones anyhow...

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Do tell if you come up with something. I've given up and moved on. Tried my best to make it a routine to turn the little padlock-thingy every time I close the hatch. I've also succeeded in only getting knocked down on the port side. ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
After much searching I have come up with a automatic latch solution for the port side fuel locker:

A Southco 93-303 Locking pushbutton latch, Sarasota Products GL202 or similar would work.
Basically a glove box latch design used on boats.

Installed like this. Blue is the latch. cockpit floor to left
FuelLockerLatch.png

The problem is the Starboard locker...
The lid's lip has the fiberglass cockpit behind it. There is no gap that would allow a simple locking latch.
The best option IMO would be having the latch itself installed in the cockpit side, and a metal pin/catch/lip etc., on the lid.
That would require cutting a section out, and installing latch+fibreglass so that no water gets into the locker itself or into coreing
With some fibreglass modification anything is possible, but I don't think the benefit outweighs the effort.
I don't see the point in modifying just the fuel locker latch, so... Safety hasps are what I will use for now.
Making sure they are secured will just need to be another thing on the mental checklist.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I was worried about flooding in a knockdown too. I just installed these new latches on my cockpit lazarettes. If you twist the ends, they have substantial friction that seems to lock them very tight, even without locks attached. I had to bend the latches slightly on a vice, and file the bolt heads flat (under the padlock eye) to get them to fit properly, but no real trouble at all. I did have to install them with the hinge bending the other way, so that the bolt heads are exposed, rather than covered by the latch. The tolerances are tight after installed. I like them a lot.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DHBWQAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

----------- I just thought I'd post an update on this product link above. I just repurchased these same safety latches recently, and the quality has evidently has gone downhill. Much thinner build, and I wouldn't really recommend these anymore. They must have a different supplier...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Todo list gets bigger:
I have decided to do a modification, which I have been pondering since I first used the boat's Kuuma propane BBQ.

I HATE those little propane bottles.

Expensive, PITA to use, and far from environmentally friendly.

Frank Butler was nice enough to put a fuel locker in the New Design Catalina 22, and it got me thinking.
My Tohatsu fuel tank is a reasonable size, but there is extra space in the locker.

So... I just bought a 5lb propane tank.

KIMG0095.jpg

The propane tank is 1 inch too tall, to fit in the locker.
I'll cut a round hole in the locker bottom and fibreglass a recessed area into the locker bottom.
2 straps to secure it, and Robert is your uncle.

There is even enough space to store the bbq hose, and outboard supplies.

P.S. Excuse the tree debris. Our huge Elm has dumped a lot of seeds this spring.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The propane tank is 1 inch too tall, to fit in the locker.
I'll cut a round hole in the locker bottom and fibreglass a recessed area into the locker bottom.
2 straps to secure it, and Robert is your uncle.
With full respect to Bob,

What would happen if you turn the propane bottle on it's side? Is the diameter at least an inch less than the height?

Also, I do believe that there are other small refillable propane cylinders out there that are different shapes. Some of them are made from materials that are more rust resistant than steel.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What would happen if you turn the propane bottle on it's side? Is the diameter at least an inch less than the height?
Of course, it would fit but...

If you turn a propane bottle on it's side, you need to make sure the relief valve and outlet is sitting in the vapour portion of the propane, not the liquid portion. You don't want liquid propane venting out when in storage, or feeding into the hose when in use.

Consumer tanks are not designed to lay on their side, because the valve/relief valve are combined and are in the middle of the tank. Some bigger tanks, like those used on forklifts, can sit on their side due to their design.

Also, I do believe that there are other small refillable propane cylinders out there that are different shapes. Some of them are made from materials that are more rust resistant than steel.
I searched locally and online.
There is a 4.25 lb tank but it's almost the same height (just under 12 inches, but still too tall) The common 10lb tanks are the same height (12 inches) as the common 5 lb tanks.
I saw a 5 lb horizontal aluminium tank years ago, but can't seem to locate one.

You can get aluminium tanks for a premium, but I've left steel 20 lb BBQ tanks outside all year, -30C to +35 C, rain,sun,snow, and they always date expire before the tank rusts badly.
That 5 lb tank cost me $35 new.
In the old days I could easily/cheaply get the tank recertified but with the advent of simply exchanging empty tanks for full ones, it is even getting harder to get one of the 5 lb tanks filled, nevermind tested for a reasonable price.
Worst case I use a spare can of spray paint and touch it up. Heck, by the time the tank rusts badly enough, I'll likely have a different boat.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Yeah, whatever, man. :kick:
LOL. That kick is what I wanted to do when my Leaf blower/vac died, just as the tree flooded the yard with seeds. Gardens, Pond, boat, eavestrough, every damn surface.. then it rained... grrr. I even found seeds inside the boat. Been doing more yardwork than anything else the last couple weeks. Sod, fence, move garden, plant some salsa.. :p The guys in the marina must be wondering why my slip is still empty.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Of course, it would fit but...

If you turn a propane bottle on it's side, you need to make sure the relief valve and outlet is sitting in the vapour portion of the propane, not the liquid portion. You don't want liquid propane venting out when in storage, or feeding into the hose when in use.

Consumer tanks are not designed to lay on their side, because the valve/relief valve are combined and are in the middle of the tank. Some bigger tanks, like those used on forklifts, can sit on their side due to their design.

I searched locally and online.
There is a 4.25 lb tank but it's almost the same height (just under 12 inches, but still too tall) The common 10lb tanks are the same height (12 inches) as the common 5 lb tanks.
I saw a 5 lb horizontal aluminium tank years ago, but can't seem to locate one.

You can get aluminium tanks for a premium, but I've left steel 20 lb BBQ tanks outside all year, -30C to +35 C, rain,sun,snow, and they always date expire before the tank rusts badly.
That 5 lb tank cost me $35 new.
In the old days I could easily/cheaply get the tank recertified but with the advent of simply exchanging empty tanks for full ones, it is even getting harder to get one of the 5 lb tanks filled, nevermind tested for a reasonable price.
Worst case I use a spare can of spray paint and touch it up. Heck, by the time the tank rusts badly enough, I'll likely have a different boat.
I was considering storing the tank on it’s side, not using it while it’s sitting on it’s side. You are correct about not wanting to feed liquid propane out to a device that is designed to take in propane gas. That is a problem. I am not sure that it is also a problem to have the safety vent facing sideways. Perhaps you can turn the tank so that it is near the top???

As for forklifts, most take in liquid propane & first feed it into a vaporizer before the mixing valve. A few of the smaller forklifts lack the vaporizer. Those are the ones that you see with the tank staining upright.

One advantage of the 10# tanks over the 5# tanks is that they have more head area, & therefore can vaporize propane faster than the little tanks can at the same ambient temperature. If you are running a big grill, this may make a difference. If you are running a small grill & it’s not the dead of winter, then it may not be an issue.

You can get tanks as small a 1 pound that are refillable. They look almost the same as the disposable ones, but they have a different overpressure relief system on them & they have brass threads in the neck, rather than steel. I think that they carry a 12 year rating on the DOT inspection. You can get them with fill kits that work off of standard 20# tanks. The fill kits for them are kind of nice. You can also go pirate & refill the disposable tanks, but it is against DOT rules to transport them after refilling. If you do that, I recommend getting the brass caps with gaskets to be sure that the necks don't leak after being refilled.

If you are having trouble getting a 5 pound tank filled, then you may want to consider investing in a double ended hose & fill it yourself from a commonly available 20# tank. It’s an option. I’m considering doing that myself for a small portable stainless steel grill that I recently purchased.

If you got that little 5# tank of yours for $35, then your source is better than mine.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am not sure that it is also a problem to have the safety vent facing sideways.
Every documentation i've seen by manufacturers of domestic upright tanks says you should store them upright due to the relief vent location. I've also read that liquid propane can trigger the vent. I'm not sure how much real risk it is. I've never had a tank vent in normal use.

If you are running a big grill, this may make a difference. If you are running a small grill & it’s not the dead of winter, then it may not be an issue.
That exactly why I use a white gas stove for land camping. It works better in spring and fall. Not to mention the lack of hauling tanks around. It takes 2 years for me to go through a single can of coleman fuel.

You can get tanks as small a 1 pound that are refillable.
I considered that. A refill kit can be had for $15 or so. but it requires filling, carrying, and storing a bunch of little tanks. I'm looking for simplicity.

If you got that little 5# tank of yours for $35, then your source is better than mine.
Yeah it was cheaper than expected. I got it on a sale but the normal retail price here is $50 CAD ($39 USD)

Who knows. I may just end up making a box at the back of the cockpit and sticking my 10lb tank in there. It's likely that either option won't happen this season though. Too many other projects, boating and otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'll keep my eyes open
Please do ! I've already put word out to my buddies.

Like I say i'm not in a rush. To many other projects. But if need be, I'm more than willing to make a mould and create a recessed circle in that locker, so this is officially on my todo list :)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Erm.... how will the "recess" drain of the inevitable collection of water?