C-28 mkII replacement spreader boots recommendation?

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Hi,

I need to replace the sheaves at the masthead of my Catalina 28 mkII, and while the mast is down I would like to do some other maintenance. The mast is not down yet. Does anyone have the specs on the spreaders so I can find the right boots? Better yet, can anyone recommend replacements and where you found them?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
Thanks, I already had the Defender page open, among others. My point was to find someone who could help me identify the correct specs for the spreader boots for a Catalina 28 mkII. Can anyone with a C-28 mkII, preferably around the time mine was built (1999, hull #608) please chime in?

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
You will likely not find specs for a spreader boot as they were not standard items from the factory.

Spreader boots are aftermarket add-ons by the dealer. Some use plastic, some use leather but the choice really is up to you.

I like the leather ones... :)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've used the rubber ones on a '94 270, because of the flat spreaders even the larger sizes do not completely close where they wrap the spreader. They are passable, when you tape them down.

Alec

Sep 23, 2005
Catalina 28mkII Bohemia River, MD
I use the LARGE vinyl spreader boots from West Marine. The spreader tips on the MKII are so big that even these are not a perfect fit. I use large tie wraps to wrap around them & then cover the tie wraps with tape. Expect them to become soft & self destruct from sun exposure after about 5 years. Not the greatest solution but better than plain tape.