Bypassing the winter blues

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
To do this month before leaving on 7 day Sail with @Stu Jackson and @jssailem,
So, they tell me we're going sailing in the middle of the bloody winter, and, of course, I say "Sure!" Have you ever tried to use a heat gun in 5C weather to get your old California bow numbers off to put new Canadian numbers on? I think I'll bring the boat home and do it in our living room. Other than that, there's that pesky power drop out to the autopilot and rebuilding the rw pump. Once I chip the ice off of the dock lines I should be able to get out of my slip. Just another boating day....

For those that don't know me, this is only my second winter with my boat here in the Garden Spot of British Columbia, formerly from SF. Hah! What did I know about cold??? I used to ski, so I think I saved that ensemble...

clean off the green slimy stuff
That, too...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I spend the winter doldrums reading your threads. When I go out the boat to work on my PSS project I take pictures of the bald eagles and pelicans out on the ice.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I’d love to see you document your work. What is it?
It is a 1963 30' Allied Seawind. My intent is to have the restoration complete when the current job I am on is finished.
Then I will trailer it to the gulf coast and island hop around the carribean for a few years.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It is a 1963 30' Allied Seawind. My intent is to have the restoration complete when the current job I am on is finished.
Then I will trailer it to the gulf coast and island hop around the carribean for a few years.
You sound like @woodster. I’m envious.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
So, they tell me we're going sailing in the middle of the bloody winter, and, of course, I say "Sure!" Have you ever tried to use a heat gun in 5C weather to get your old California bow numbers off to put new Canadian numbers on? I think I'll bring the boat home and do it in our living room. Other than that, there's that pesky power drop out to the autopilot and rebuilding the rw pump. Once I chip the ice off of the dock lines I should be able to get out of my slip. Just another boating day....

For those that don't know me, this is only my second winter with my boat here in the Garden Spot of British Columbia, formerly from SF. Hah! What did I know about cold??? I used to ski, so I think I saved that ensemble...

That, too...
We will both be sporting dry suits so toasty warm
Mahalo

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am in the process of building a shed to complete the restoration of my project boat.
Isn't it
step 1: build a shed
Step 2: build a boat in the shed
?
Not
Step 1: build a boat
Step 2: build a shed for the boat

I keep myself busy with chickens, turkeys, ducks, cats and the Rougarou
20180204_121840.jpg
20180202_115941.jpg

- Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
When people come over and ask about it being in my yard, their response to my answer is "What is a cowboy in the middle of Oklahoma doing with an ocean going sailboat?"
Oddly enough I've heard almost the same thing since I bought my Seawind II.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
It’s been raining incessantly here. 1.9” in 24hrs @50*. Fields/roads are flooding. Been visiting the boat that has new windows and checking for leaks. Windows are good but had to do an emergent procedure on a chainplate. Last few weeks are leak free which is good as I’m recovering from a small hernia repair.. I’m slowly replacing polysulfide for chainplates with Maine’s butyl tape. Even though there is low compression, it seems to work.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Learning responsive website design in order to rewrite my website. Planning my boat repair and upgrade projects. Surfing SBO and other sites for parts. Planning what repairs we will video for youtube. Snowboarding!
Sooo much to do!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN

• A Harken ratchet block on a ice fishing shanty? Only a sailor would do that.
ROTFLMAO!! Good catch. Only a sailor would identify that. There's even a nylon cleat in the opposite corner.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I am fortunate enough to live in Texas, but I do live in Cypress, which is sort of far away from my boat docked in Kemah; although it isn't covered in blocks of ice, the weather is frigid, and us Texans absolutely DETEST the cold, even Texas sailors do. Thus, we usually avoid going out into the bay, but we do hit the docks and get down to business doing maintenance and overhauls. When I was in Kemah just last weekend, I installed a new mainsheet system on my Catalina 25 and re-sealed the chain plates and windows. I also replaced the forehatch gasket and installed a gasket in my anchor locker, as water has a habit of getting in there and adding up to at least a few gallons. When I'm not in Kemah working on Valiant, I'm in my garage in Cypress working on either my Sunfish or Sunbird. Just last week, actually, I spent four hours sanding the old paint off the deck and rolling on the leftover anti-foul hull paint I had in the garage refrigerator (most would call that a waste of money, but I've got two more gallons for our next hull job on Valiant). I did have to move mom's new Lexus into the driveway in the rain...she wasn't too happy about that :).

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I downloaded a log app on Jan. 13 and it shows I've been able to get out on 10 days since then, I don't like to sail when it's below 60 so it's been a real nice mild winter so far.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fly to Long Beach (LGB) with a couple of friends and get a 7-day bareboat charter out to Catalina Island.:yeah: