Bypassing the winter blues

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
This might be a good time to argue port vs. starboard furling line.
We typically board on the port side from our slip. Did not want another line to have step over.
Plus we are both right handed so if were on the tiller with our right hand we can pull in the furling line with our left. Seems to work for us.

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
20170728_193432.jpg

I guess it works equally as well with her left hand too. So much for that idea. Honestly I wasn't aware there was a proper side to run it down.

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I remember that day I took that pic. Towards the end of the season. Great winds and warm breeze. Was a full moon that night on the hook. Man, when is summer going to get here!!!

Sam

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I remember that day I took that pic. Towards the end of the season. Great winds and warm breeze. Was a full moon that night on the hook. Man, when is summer going to get here!!!

Sam
I'm as impressed that you can remember THOSE particular details as I am surprised:confused: that THAT'S what you remember. Considering the other vista.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We woke up 5:30 this morning to huge half dollar sized snow flakes falling outside. We opened the shutters to the bedroom window and watched them fall. Sure doesn't look like the 4th day of spring around here. Saying 3 to 7 inches of wet heavy snow, i.e. slush.

Sam

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Snowing here in the PNW. CRAZY.
Can’t finish the floors till it warms up. Guess I do wiring.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Are florida residents allowed to comment on this thread?

It been really cold here lately, the ladies at work are still wearing the knee high boots with heels and ive had to wear a blazer to work on a few mornings.

The sailing lately has been fantastic. The storms north keep the winds strong for most of tbe day and we arent melting in the heat and sun.

Last week was sail #2 with the repaired centerboard. So far so good.

The wind last sunday was at least 10kt with gusts. The direction seemed to change from west to north often, my son mentioned that he didnt think we had ever tacked so much. One of those days where as soon as we got close to the lake edge, we would tack and the wind would change the wrong direction and we have to turn more than 100 degrees. Wed get as far from shore as we could to get back on the favored tack and tbe shift would switch, so back to shore.

Another day of not using the motor at all, and used the reefed main and unfurled jib entire time. We came really close to planing once. When we were going at a fast clip the wind stalled as we got close to shore and the boat just stopped. The wave from behind came in our open transom line a tsunami.

Great times.

You guys will get warm soon and while you are out i'll be melting in the heat, trying to stay out of the thunderstorms.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Are florida residents allowed to comment on this thread?
You can only comment here if the highs are under 32* ;)
It been really cold here lately, the ladies at work are still wearing the knee high boots with heels and ive had to wear a blazer to work on a few mornings.
I lived in the Tampa/St Pete area for about a year back in the 70s. when it got below 70* it was easy to tell the locals from the Northerners. the locals were wearing coats and the Northerners (me) were still in cutoffs, t-shirt and flip flops ;)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Snowing here in the PNW. CRAZY.
Can’t finish the floors till it warms up. Guess I do wiring.
From 300' over our house (S.W. Oregon) this morning:
UPAIR_PHOTO_032418-0002.jpg

Forecast is for high 60s to maybe 70* by Friday.
You know what they say: "If you don't like the weather here, just wait 5 minutes". ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A dusting of Snow yesterday here in Centeral Oregon. Having fun with grandkids swimming indoors. Big wet flakes. 15 inches fell in the mountains.. Passes are all white. 22 degrees last night meant the wet snow has formed to ice on the road bed. Picture window gives me a view of the river canyon, clear sky’s, sun warming the earth and juniper trees being blown in the wind.
16878E1B-398C-470D-99E8-58E6BEAEE3B8.jpeg
Snow, rain and cold, slowing the boat progress in the yard. It is going to take 2 weeks for me to get ready for my May 1st cruise.

@BobbyFunn Sure you can share here. I like girls wearing boots. Someone said “Boots were made for walking”. But pictures are better shared among these sailors in cold weather climes.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Well winter continues, Indy got 10.2 inches yesterday. We got 3 on top of the slush. Headed to Eagle Creek park before sunup this morning with the skinny skis. Wasn't expecting great conditions but it sure was pretty.
20180325_081803.jpg

We managed to ski about 2 miles before it got sticky. Had to walk back 3 miles carrying our skis on the ice covered road. The slush was working up from the warmer ground under the snow. Didn't take long before we were ski walking with big chinks of ice stuck to the bottoms of our skis.
This is surely the last blast of winter for us here. Surely...

Sam

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Here's a bypass for you.

If you were in central fl today and had anything that floats, you were out today. Nearly 80 degrees, 10 mph wind but shifty from sw to west and not reliable. 25% cloud cover for moments of universal shade.

Barely got a parking space for the trailer. Saw about five to six 25-35 footers tacking out the manatee river to tampa bay. Great crowd at boat ramp.

Did a textbook MOB to pick up floating clear plastic bag across from bratenton yacht club. Ramp requires a motor to navigate the channel. It was only about 2 feet deep on either side of channel. One guy tried to cheat and got his 35 ft offshore powerboat stuck.

Screenshot_20180325-161043.png Screenshot_20180325-161148.png

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Well winter continues, Indy got 10.2 inches yesterday. We got 3 on top of the slush. Headed to Eagle Creek park before sunup this morning with the skinny skis. Wasn't expecting great conditions but it sure was pretty.
View attachment 147991

We managed to ski about 2 miles before it got sticky. Had to walk back 3 miles carrying our skis on the ice covered road. The slush was working up from the warmer ground under the snow. Didn't take long before we were ski walking with big chinks of ice stuck to the bottoms of our skis.
This is surely the last blast of winter for us here. Surely...

Sam
Closeups man. We want closeups!

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
There is no such thing as winter blues. One has to go out and enjoy it. Btw. about 6 weeks to launch.
29365791_1918316031514662_2061172827033174016_n.jpg 29468673_1918326104846988_7024049516571525120_n.jpg
(Ottawa Masters' Finals (SL and GS))