Buzzer not Buzzing

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I know this isn't the first time this issue has been on the forum, but it still has me baffled. I have the M25XPB engine, and when I turn my key one position, I do not hear the buzzer. When I turn it one more position there is a faint single chirp coming from the buzzer. I used a meter and there is 3.4VDC on the buzzer with the key turned one position...this is what baffles me. I took the cover off the control panel and all connections look good, everything else seems to have 12VDC. I have a special jumper in case the pressure switch malfunctions, when I jumpered the PS the fuel pump came on.....so I at least know that the lift pump is operating when I'm motoring. So are there other connections that I need to look at? Maybe someone has had a similar experience and can streamline my troubleshooting for me. I should have jumpered 12VDC to the buzzer to make sure it operates, didn't think of that at the time.
This is not a new problem, I'm embarrassed to admit that this is the way it's been for the 3 years I've owned the boat. I didn't know the buzzer should come on at start-up until I read it on this forum...

Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I used a meter and there is 3.4VDC on the buzzer with the key turned one position...this is what baffles me.
Your ignition wiring may be wired so that in position #1, only your fuel gauge is powered and your alarms are by-passed so that you're not listening to your alarms while taking on fuel. In position 2 everybody is powered up. I rewired my panel after listening to the oil pressure alarm a few too many times when fueling up.

Now, is that 3.4V on the power side (+) or on the ground (-) side of the buzzer ? If on the power side, you have a corroded connection in the supply. If on the ground side, a corrosion problem on that side. Be sure to let us know.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
I put the DMM on the (+) and the (-) of the buzzer.
My buzzer is wired so it is 'on' when the key is in the first position, as soon as oil pressure closes the pressure switch the alarm shuts off.

Thanks for the reply, hope this helps.

Cheers

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Check connections also at the oil pressure switch on the engine. Or with key on ( engine off)
1)make sure you have 12v at the buzzer to gauge lights ground
2) with jumper ground side of buzzer that goes to OP switch to the gauge lights ground
3) jumper the wire going into the OP switch to ground on engine
4) if still wimpy sounds ground to the battery.

1) if you don't have 12v follow the wires back to the switch until you do
2) you now know the buzzer works or if it has failed
3) if second test sounds the alarm either the sensor is bad or sensor was installed with pipe compound or you have bad connection from buzzer to Op Switch.
4) If it works going to the negative battery you have a bad engine ground.

Note it is good practice to use a fuse holder with a 2A fuse as your jumper. And check fuse often. None of the above will blow fuse if done correctly

Les

Jan 4, 2006
Now, is that 3.4V on the power side (+) or on the ground (-) side of the buzzer ? If on the power side, you have a corroded connection in the supply. If on the ground side, a corrosion problem on that side.
Dave, what I neglected to say was to reference your meter to a known good ground at 0.0V to get an idea where the poor connection is.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Test the buzzer with known 12 volt source. Mine failed in a similar manner.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks guys.
Ralph, after I re-read your suggestion I realized I forgot to say that I used more than one 0VDC to test the voltage. There was still only 3.4VDC at the buzzer on the positive terminal.
As for the trailer plugs...where are they? I haven't crawled over the whole boat but I also haven't seen them? Would it be at the bottom of the pedestal?
Cheers

Jan 4, 2006
There was still only 3.4VDC at the buzzer on the positive terminal.
That was easy, it's a poor connection on the (+) side. Now to find the faulty connection .................... yeah, maybe not so easy :soapbox: .

As per others here, it's a matter of following the wiring back to the source until you see 12V again and it's between the buzzer and there. Sorry, but not familiar with the Catalina so don't know where the cheap "trailer plug" is located.

May 20, 2016
There are 2 sets of trailer plugs. One on each end of the harness that goes between the engine and panel. If you read MaineSails article they will be obvious. I personally don't like the CatalinaDirect kit to replace the plugs. I think a BlueSea terminal strip and ancor heatshrink rings are a much better solution especially at the engine. I'm going to replace the CD strip at the panel with weatherpak connectors. Be sure and use a quality crimp tool if not using the CD solution

Les

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
There are 2 sets of trailer plugs. One on each end of the harness that goes between the engine and panel. If you read MaineSails article they will be obvious. I personally don't like the CatalinaDirect kit to replace the plugs. I think a BlueSea terminal strip and ancor heatshrink rings are a much better solution especially at the engine. I'm going to replace the CD strip at the panel with weatherpak connectors. Be sure and use a quality crimp tool if not using the CD solution

Les
Leslie, the C310 doesn't have the gummy bear trailer plugs. There is a terminal strip in the engine control box on the pedestal, but it's reasonably beefy.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I will be at the boat this weekend armed with DMM, length of wire for 'remote' testing, supplied schematic and copious libations.
Will report back with findings....
Cheers

May 20, 2016
Save the libations till after working with the sparky stuff. You don't want to release any of the magic smoke from the wires.
Lees

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
How many parts on the motor are connected to the Buzzer. So far I have found 2. When I disconnected both of them the buzzer still buzzes. The motor is running. I checked the oil gauge and it is working but the red light is on. Any ideas?
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Where is the ground for the buzzer and light? Do you have a picture?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Finally I had a chance to trouble shoot this issue. Interestingly, the colour of some of my wires do not match the schematic, but it looks like original wiring??? I have owned the boat for 4 years, the buzzer has never worked properly and I now think I know why. Stamped on the side of the buzzer is 24vdc. When I jumpered 12v directly to the buzzer it made a low pitched whining sound like a sick cat. I am going to source a new buzzer and hopefully this will be the issue. I'm assuming the low voltage reading at the buzzer is due to the resistance of the lift pump.

As a further note, I always worried that the lift pump may have something to do with this, since the buzzer uses the lift pump for it's path to ground, when the key is in the first position. I jumpered the oil pressure switch, put the key in the first position and I could hear the lift pump running. When the engine is running I can't hear the lift pump, and since I never let the fuel go below 1/2 tank, I never really knew if the lift pump was working.

If anyone has a known source for the buzzer please let me know.

Cheers

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks Curt. Interesting, that alarm shows 24vdc as well. I will get one, since 12vdc directly on my buzzer produced a weak sound.

Cheers