Buzzer alarm sounding

Wojtus

Aug 2, 2020
Beneteau 331 Chicago
A little late but I wanted to follow up with my results. The alarm sounding was definitely a short. It appears that the overly wet winter must of caused a bit of corrosion. once we had a period of dry warm weather the problem fixed itself. Initially the buzzer was constant then once the weather turned it became more intermittent. Now the buzzer activates when I turn the key on and stops once I press the glow plug button. Nothing better then a problem that solves itself. Very rare occurrence in the marine world.
[

Wojtus

Aug 2, 2020
Beneteau 331 Chicago
Interesting issue, this similar thing has started happening to me recently. I purchased a Beneteau 331 with westerbeke engine this year and I sailed it with the guy I bought it from for about 8 hours with engine running for about 1 hour out of the 8. I thought I heard a buzzer/alarm sounding intermittently while running The engine but it was rather sporadic so I did not make much out of it. After few days sailing it became obvious, although not greater or more frequent. Today I called the previous owner and he says that he has timnitus in his ears and really didn’t hear anything before. I went down under the panel and looked at the alarm/buzzer while running the engine in the marina and it sounds like chirping almost, once in a while. Every few seconds it will chirp, then stop for a minute, than intermittently start chirping again. The sound definitely comes from the black bell audiolarm alarm. I wonder if there’s anyone out there who can tell me what this may be. All gauges show normal temperature, all fluids are within normal limits.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Interesting issue, this similar thing has started happening to me recently. I purchased a Beneteau 331 with westerbeke engine this year and I sailed it with the guy I bought it from for about 8 hours with engine running for about 1 hour out of the 8. I thought I heard a buzzer/alarm sounding intermittently while running The engine but it was rather sporadic so I did not make much out of it. After few days sailing it became obvious, although not greater or more frequent. Today I called the previous owner and he says that he has timnitus in his ears and really didn’t hear anything before. I went down under the panel and looked at the alarm/buzzer while running the engine in the marina and it sounds like chirping almost, once in a while. Every few seconds it will chirp, then stop for a minute, than intermittently start chirping again. The sound definitely comes from the black bell audiolarm alarm. I wonder if there’s anyone out there who can tell me what this may be. All gauges show normal temperature, all fluids are within normal limits.
I have a Westerbeke and had the same problem. It sounded like "crickets" while the engine was on. I tried troubleshooting it for years with little or no success. It came from the low oil pressure alarm circuit. I don't know about Beneteaus but my Catalina had a really weird circuit that connected the lift pump to the O/P alarm. I think the circuit is particular to the Westerbeke engine and not the boat. When my mechanic rebuilt my injector pump, he also changed the circuit. He said it was stupid and did not accomplish anything. One day I was bored and rewired it and the crickets disappeared and never returned. I can send you the diagram of what I did but it may not apply to your engine/panel/boat/arrangement.

Wojtus

Aug 2, 2020
Beneteau 331 Chicago
I have a Westerbeke and had the same problem. It sounded like "crickets" while the engine was on. I tried troubleshooting it for years with little or no success. It came from the low oil pressure alarm circuit. I don't know about Beneteaus but my Catalina had a really weird circuit that connected the lift pump to the O/P alarm. I think the circuit is particular to the Westerbeke engine and not the boat. When my mechanic rebuilt my injector pump, he also changed the circuit. He said it was stupid and did not accomplish anything. One day I was bored and rewired it and the crickets disappeared and never returned. I can send you the diagram of what I did but it may not apply to your engine/panel/boat/arrangement.
That Would be great if you could. I had no time to try to fix it, there seem to be a lot of valid points in all replies as to the reason for the crickets. The predominant thought that it is some kind of faulty ground and rewiring is necessary. Go ahead and please send me the diagram...

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
OK. You asked for it. The O/P circuit is traced in red. The only real change from the factory is that the lift pump (lower right) is completely disconnected from the circuit. It is run off the key switch (IGN) and grounded to chassis. The pull down resistor is 1K at the glow plug solenoid. One item of note is that the O/P switch closes on good oil pressure and the 12 volts quiets the buzzer by eliminating the ground. Hope that helps.

Attachments