Buzzer alarm sounding

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
So I was surprised today. I got a call from my storage facility. I was told that they moved the boat in front of me and asked when I wanted to go in. I said today works and so it was.

They put her in. I started her up (Westerbeke 12c-two). Started up no problem. I was about 1 mile into my 8 mile motoring trip to the dock when the buzzer started sounding. Engine temp and oil pressure was fine. I even confirmed the engine temp with a thermal gun. I continued motoring the remaining 7 miles with the buzzer sounding. The gauges never indicated a problem.

Is there any other reason that the buzzer would sound?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Sending unit fault. Gauge indicates numerical reference. Often the sound sending unit is different from the display.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... a short in the buzzer relay? A malfunctioning temperature sensor? Does the buzzer also sound if oil pressure is low?

Did the buzzer come back on after you let the engine cool down and your started her back up?

Dec 27, 2012
I need to go back later once it cools down to see if it will activate. I had a similar problem a few years ago. The oil sending unit was bad. What concerns me this time is all was well for about a mile before it activated.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I need to go back later once it cools down to see if it will activate. I had a similar problem a few years ago. The oil sending unit was bad. What concerns me this time is all was well for about a mile before it activated.
It happened before? After the winter lay up ?
Can we assume that the engine oil was changed in the fall and you checked the level before starting? Also, was the coolant topped off?

Dec 27, 2012
It happened shortly after I bought the boat 3 years back. In that case the one of the terminal ends on the oil sending unit broke. That’s not the case this time. The terminals are fine. I removed and reinstalled the connections in case they weren’t making proper contact.

The oil was changed in the fall then motored to my storage area, no problems. I checked the oil and coolant level before today’s trip to the slip.

I guess my question is: What mechanical functions are monitored by the alarm. I’m aware of oil pressure and engine temp. Any other functions, knock sensors etc?

Dec 27, 2012
I just found a section in the owners Manuel that indicates the buzzer alarm is only activated by low oil pressure or high engine temp. If due to engine temp the alarm omits a constant alarm. If it’s low oil pressure then the alarm pulsates. The alarm I’m experiencing is constant so it’s related to engine temp. I will have to check for some kind of solenoid Since it doesn’t appear that it heated up.

Dec 27, 2012
So I went back to the boat. The engine was completely cooled off. I confirmed again that all fluids were full. Started the motor and the alarm sounded immediately. So it appears that it’s sounding in error. Possibly a short.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Of all possible outcomes ,that's the one I would want. I'll always take a gauge over a light or buzzer .

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So I was surprised today. I got a call from my storage facility. I was told that they moved the boat in front of me and asked when I wanted to go in. I said today works and so it was.

They put her in. I started her up (Westerbeke 12c-two). Started up no problem. I was about 1 mile into my 8 mile motoring trip to the dock when the buzzer started sounding. Engine temp and oil pressure was fine. I even confirmed the engine temp with a thermal gun. I continued motoring the remaining 7 miles with the buzzer sounding. The gauges never indicated a problem.

Is there any other reason that the buzzer would sound?

Thanks
WAIT...I am still absorbing the fact that your marina launched you today....

I had to put my boat OUT today because they closed the marina and would not let me ven check on the boat...

Sorry to hijack the thread...but still in denial :poop:

Greg

Dec 27, 2012
Most of the marinas around here are a open. I don’t really understand how they deem themselves essential but I’m not asking. My problem was my boatyard. It seemed like they weren’t going to launch any boats. So when I got the call I jumped on the opportunity.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Temperature alarm sender usually is just a switch that connects buzzer circuit to ground when over-temperature is detected. Suggest that you disconnect the wire from the sensor and start the engine. If the alarm sounds you likely have a short upstream on that wire. If the alarm does not sound you may have a faulty sensor. With the engine cool put an ohm meter on the sensor terminal with the wire off. If you see a completed circuit you have a bad sensor. If none of the above go back to the oil pressure sensor.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have you considered a fault in the alternator charge circuit? Are there any idiot lights in the panel?

Dec 27, 2012
No lights for the alternator but the gauge reads 14 volts when running.

were experiencing some extremely windy days. once it settles down Im going to start with pulling the wire to the coolant sensor and see what happens.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No lights for the alternator but the gauge reads 14 volts when running.
Ok, what year model is the boat? The wiring harness from the engine compartment to the control panel is routed inside the hull with some bends around what can be sharp fiberglass corners. I have seen that older boats (15-30 yrs) with repeated hull flexing have chafed the insulation of the wiring harness and that of the wires. With the majority of the wires having to do with the sensors and the buzzer it is common that any problems will surface in those circuits. Usually a visual inspection specially around bends will reveal the location of any chafing. The idiot lights are sometimes useful in directing to the specific faulty circuit.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
You have a problem with the sensing circuit. I have a W20B and am constantly wrestling with it. I don't think the circuit can be much different. There are no relays or electronics in the hi temp alarm circuit. It is a simple connection to ground when in alarm state. Disconnect the wire from the sensor and if the alarm stops then your sensor is bad.

Dec 27, 2012
A little late but I wanted to follow up with my results. The alarm sounding was definitely a short. It appears that the overly wet winter must of caused a bit of corrosion. once we had a period of dry warm weather the problem fixed itself. Initially the buzzer was constant then once the weather turned it became more intermittent. Now the buzzer activates when I turn the key on and stops once I press the glow plug button. Nothing better then a problem that solves itself. Very rare occurrence in the marine world.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
My guess is that states with open marinas have governors who own boats.....:biggrin:
Yeah. I'm in Michigan and our governor has imposed some of the strictest restrictions in the country. Well apparently she and her husband keep a boat near where one of our morning radio DJ's lives and he knows the guys at the boat yard. Dj reported that the First Gentleman (don't know off he really is a gentleman but that's what they call the spouse of a female governor or president) called the yard asking to have the boat put in the water for Memorial Day weekend. They told him NO! What goes around comes around.