butly tape

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
If you need it real quick you will find it in a well-stocked RV/Camper parts store, like at an RV dealer. Down side is it's probably black. I got beige from Palamino, when I was repairing my camper, and got about 10' of 1" wide stuff real cheap.

If you're ordering I recommend MaineSail, but I can't figure out how to order it from his photo site.
Be carefull in the RV/Camper section. The sell some stuff that is Beige... and looks like butyl tape... it is (Putty Tape)... and will dryout.:confused:

Jun 9, 2013
Rafiki 37 Novato, California
RE: Beige... and looks like butyl tape... it is (Putty Tape)

Be carefull in the RV/Camper section. The sell some stuff that is Beige... and looks like butyl tape... it is (Putty Tape)... and will dryout.:confused:
I think that's what I purchased from a storefront on Amazon. Most of it was already dried out. Definitely not a good buy. Ended up throwing it away.

I cannot emphasize the importance of using a recommended seller for marine quality butyl tape. My experience is you will not save any money by trying to shop around but you will end up with an unusable product.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 21 MN
I've used the butyl tape from Maine Sail. This is great for bedding stanchions and port lights, where you don't need an adhesive; i.e., you have screws to hold things together. Unlike most of the RV stuff there is no clay filler. However there is some RV stuff out there that is very similar. I found it on my RV sealing the roof vents to the roof...

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
HVAC Supply house. Duct seam sealer for bolt together duct. It is sold in 1/2"x 25' rolls. It is separated by waxy paper and is exactly what Maine sail describes. If you pay cash you should be able to purchase it with out an account. I have great luck with it and it is as sticky and flexible after installing two years ago.

Jul 2, 2012
Jefferson 45 Naples
Its interesting that they have listed as white in title but in description it says off white

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have been trying to source a white or off white butyl tape, people want it, and my manufacturer has tried two formulations for me and each one has failed my testing. I have tested at least 15 white/off white tapes including the same tape sold by a company mentioned on this thread. The adders and fillers in the white/off white butyl tapes lead them to have less stretch when compressed thin and in cold weather they lose a significant amount of ability to not lose or break the seal.. They also tend to flow, creep or bleed worse in hot weather.

I have conducted marine specific testing on over 40 manufacturers of butyl tape from places as far away as England and China as well as a pile of North American manufacturers. Suffice it to say there are very,very vast differences in what is sold or marked as butyl tape.

The old formulations used by boat builders in the 70's are long gone and the new replacements are not the same. This is all due to changes in EPA regs. The old butyl tape ofthe 70's was excellent stuff and finding good stuff I suspect was easier.. Finding premium tape that compares to those today is not such an easy task..

I can very easily source a white or off white "butyl" tape but I will not compromise on the characteristics I feel are necessary in a good premium quality tape for marine applications. This is why I still don't offer one.... I am always looking and testing but it appears that in order to make it white compromises are made which affect the qualities I find necessary for the application.....