Busted Mast

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
When I bought my boat a few weeks back, it was a cold and windy day. The mast had a slight bend in it, close to the top.

Today, I was raising the mast to see how that goes and make sure all is well. The job and mainsail lines were wrapped around the mast where the bend is. When I unwrapped them, I found out the mast had been kinked and is busted open on one side.

Looks like a sleeve repair on this 20 ft mast would be feasible. Have contacted Dwyer Aluminum to see if they have what I need.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Ouch! That's a bad break in a bad spot! I'd be concerned that any repair would make it difficult to pull the sail up. Hopefully someone here can chime in with some slightly better news

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
If I can find a 6061 -T6 pipe the right size, I'm comfortable it can be repaired; it's close to the top of the mast.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The twisted part of the mast has been cut out - it is 2-3/8" long. Do I need to compensate and add this length back in or would it be OK with a slightly shorter mast?

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
Ouch! That's a bad break in a bad spot! I'd be concerned that any repair would make it difficult to pull the sail up. Hopefully someone here can chime in with some slightly better news
What makes the location of the break a "bad spot"?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The twisted part of the mast has been cut out - it is 2-3/8" long. Do I need to compensate and add this length back in or would it be OK with a slightly shorter mast?
If you have stays (steel wire to support it) the mast height needs to stay the same so there isnt slack in them
What makes the location of the break a "bad spot"?
I thought it was smack in the middle of the mast at first

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
You will have best results if you maintain the original length of the mast rather than shortening it 2 inches.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I'm not sure how you're going to fix the break in the middle of your mast that you cut 2 inches out but I know that you can't just Weld a round piece of pipe in between the two pieces that you remove the part from.