bulkhead- teak plywood replacement

Nov 16, 2008
Oday 23 Sacandaga Reservoir-Upstate NY
I need to replace plywwod on my 23 ft oday
im told it is teak!!
i would like to replace with another type of plywood specifically okoume- iwould have to replace both sides so they would match!!(cheaper costs than teak)
i could also replace just the one side of doorway with teak-not sure if it would match what is there now
i would like any input what would look the best or if you have also done an upgrade
Thanx

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Joubert Okoume is BS 1088 certified. Lloyds approved. The downside is it doesn't match teak. That and once you start you may not be able to stop. At 140.00 for a 12mm X 4' X 8' sheet you can do both sides with one sheet. I used 4 on my 27.

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
You may be able to stain the okoume to match the color of the teak. The grain won't be the same but if the color matches it won't be that noticeable.
If you plan on over coating with epoxy (and you should, okoume has terrible rot resistance), use a water or alcohol based stain to be compatible with the epoxy. Oil based will prevent the epoxy from penetrating.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
How about a cheaper plywood on the one side, then a teak veneer over all of it?

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Spend the money and buy a sheet of marine grade teak. Remeber those bulkheads are what hold your mast when you are having the most fun sailing. It is also beautiful and will match everything else in the boat. Trying to use other woods and color matching will not work and cost you great amounts of time. Buy the teak plywood and never look back.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
D&R Marine should have the original teak-faced plywood, or know where you could get it closer to home. Marine Fir plywood, or the Okoume plywood could be used instead, just be sure it is the same thickness. I would stick to the teak-faced or okoume, or another type marine mahogany plywood for looks and due to the tendency of any fir plywood (even $$ marine type!) to check. Anyway, teak-faced will be best for matching, but any marine grade plywood of the correct thickness will work.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Buy marine grade plywood and use a veneer. I used that on the 25 I used to own. I put mahogany veneer on mine. Should be 1/2"

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Be careful of plywood. There are few standards. The average lumberyard considers "marine" plywood to be submersible fir plywood with few plies, possible voids, and other voids filled with putty. Better plywood is the BS1088 and BS6566 rated plywood. This is boil proof glue, laminating a higher ply count, with no voids. I believe BS-grade ply does not have putty filling knot holes; rather it has inlet wood. 1088 is A/B faces, 6566 is B/C faces more suitable for structural builds. You can order all manner of plywood from Noah's Marine Supply, http://www.noahsmarine.com/index.asp They will also sell plywood cut as small as 1/8th sheet.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
My original bulkheads and the interior were all pretty dark, but I'm not sure it that was due to something a PO did or not. At any rate, I used Okoume, staining it to match the old woodwork. You can see some pics in my profile.

Nov 16, 2008
Oday 23 Sacandaga Reservoir-Upstate NY
i did but teak, what should i use on surface-sealant, stain, clearcoat...the old teak is darker than one bought and does not have a glossy finish-any suggestions

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I experimented with some different stains and found that a red oak and chestnut stain mixed together approximated the old teak stain in my boat. Trial and error, using strips of left over scrap. I pulled the old forward half bulkheads and refinished them when doing the new ones, so that all would have a glossier finish.
You may consider sealing the edges of the bulkheads so that if you do have leaks, the water will not penetrate. I used CPES on the edges and the outer 3 inches. Some people use straight epoxy instead.

Mar 26, 2016
oday 27 newport, or
I am re-doing one of the bulkheads in my 27 and am using Hydrotek BS-1088 from http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/marine-ply.html who are local to my boat. It is Meranti faced, but looks like it can be stained to match the teak on the other bulkheads. It was $100 for a 12mm sheet. Someone had replaced that bulkhead previously with teak, but it only had 3 plies and delaminated quickly (softwood core?). The Hydrotek is much better, similar to the other bulkheads and door in the boat.