Bulkhead stay reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

I have on older 27, 1977 w/standard rig. Over the years it appears as though the through bolts that hold the upper (center) stays to the bulkhead are beginning to pull through or at least work through the bulkhead. This is apparent when observing from the inside of the cabin looking at 4 bolt heads on either side. I was considering a teak "face plate" and then reinstalling with longer bolts. Has anyone ever made such a modification? I'm wondering if there are other considerations when making a modification like the one described. Thanks...PLR

D

Dave

Bulkhead Problems

Peter: The question is your chainplate movement due to rot of the bulkhead? or due to enlarged bolt holes from loose bolts? If the bulkhead is rotty or punky then the new face plates have little to hold onto. If you have a solid bulkhead then all you need to do is put in bigger bolts. My guess is that you have a "soft" bulkhead and it best to replace the bulk head with a new one. The downside of losing to main stays is that the mast can come tumbling down. Great pictures of this during the Louis Vuitton cup challenge. Not a pretty sight.....good luck.

J

Joe Ford

call Catalina

Contact Catalina, e-mail or phone, and request information on your boat. They will send you lots of cool stuff, including a list of upgrades and modifications suggested by long time Cat 27 owners. The chainplate issue is discussed. There are modification kits available. It's a pretty easy upgrade.

T

Tom M.

how thick is the teak?

If the bulkhead is dry, and not rotted, then try to sandwich the bulkhead with 2 pieces of aluminium, 1/8" thk x6" x10", backing off the turnbuckle, and undoing the bolts, drilling the holes for the chainplate, centralizing them, then adding 6 bolt holes 3 per side, now the load is displaced. if you use teak it will be 1/2" to 1" thick, it would move the chainplate aft by that amount, and would mis align with the deck orifice, which will create a leak problem, and so the story go's.

Status
Not open for further replies.