BUKH 20DV Engine. Ignition Issues

OOC

Mar 19, 2020
Canadian Sailboat CS33 YVR
Dear All,
Sorry to be so long reporting back.
Lockdown and all.

Here is the colour coded wiring diagram for the Bukh 20 DV marine diesel engine.

I'm no expert but can follow some of it.

I had ignition stop and start issues.I replaced the ignition block and the strating issue was resolved. It kept running. And then this week stops and starts as it should. I think it may be a solenoid problem for the latter ( stopping) issue. I replaced the solenoid a couple of years ago. On survey it was described as ' loose' ; but from my experience of putting it in the ' stop' distance on the front screw/insert is pre-set for the engine and locked down> It does seem ' wobbly ' when I move it; but the four retaining bolts on 'solenoid to engine' and the much smaller and shorter ones bolting the solenoid endt to the end//itself- are all securely in.

SO as it's starting and stopping I will just check the solenoid again and keep testing it unless and until there is a problem.

My issue now is that none of the alarms or gauges( save for rev counter) on the standard BUKH 20 panel are working. I am going to check the connectors and sensors this morning. And see if I can see any wiring and /or connection issues.
From the diagram it seems that each sensor is ' grounded' ? It is marked as such on all sensors at the point they appear on the diagram.

However I have the following questions.
1.The diagram has been coloured in by a previous owner. There is a post it note ( to himself) that reads
'' Find and Check fuses.
Find red and blue junction boxes
Check white at key/sld
Check black at key/sld
Finish colouring''

2.I thought that it's possible the alarms and lights ( oil pressure, sonic alarm for ignition/key being left in/on), water temperature etc; may be connected to fuses and did a through search. Removed the panels where all of the switches and indicator lights for the whole system are ( control panel?). No fuses behind there. I then remembered four red 'buttons' high up under the mapping station/desk on the inside of the partition by the engine companionway . These 3. buttons can be moved around a little. They are about 1/4 inch proud of the panel partition. On the other side they are bolted through to a circuit board with four sets of wires and contacts. See photos of both. The diagram indicates the 4 fuses are next to the ignition block but I can't find any in the recess to the side or behind the recess or the ignition panel? The only grouping of ' fuses' ( apparently only 3 from the photos), is right down under the mapping table/bolted through the partiton to the wiring inside? Is this the 'grounding point' for the sensors?

3. The post it note says ' find and check fuses'. The diagram in the upper right corner has four fuses marked as ' fuses for start /temp gauge. Are there fuses inside these red housings? I suspect the old style glass tube style- and that they may have been blown by the mechanic who 'worked' on the ignition and disabled it? I am thinking to unbolt the through bolts and inspect them? If fuses are there I will replace them and see if this resolves the issues.

4. Do I need to do anything about ' grounding' any of the sensors? Is there a common 'grounding ' point in the electrical system? If so where would it be please? Would it be marked on the diagram? Does each sensor, as it seems to indicate on the diagram have it's own specific grounding connector( black) wire? Each sensor appears to have green or yellow wires. IN UK and I think here black is usually grounding( we call it 'earth'.
5.I don't have a photo yet but will get one, there appears to be some kind of oblong box down low in the engine which may be a fuse box ?

If anyone can advise I would be mighty grateful.I doubt we will have a 'sailing season' this year but we can only but dream.
Thanks and Happy Easter to all .
Stay Safe.

OOC

Attachments