Building a Basic Sailboat Toolbox

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
just out from:Sail magazine
:plus::plus::plus:
That covers my Primary, Secondary and "Once in a while" servicing tools for Sailing.
Add too that a Rubber mallet, strap wrench, and mini-"open and box end" ratchet set.:clap:
Jim...

PS: The drill pump "didn't".

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
The Shadow's idea of an everything I might need/everything I actually use two box solution is brilliantly simple. And simply brilliant. I bought 28 lbs. of harbor freight tools, and spend a lot of time digging for what I need. Now I just need that extra box.

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
Big Easy suggests craftsmen tools from Lowe’s using the 10% off deal for vets on the 4th. Not long ago Lowe’s came out with a Lowe’s card for veterans that you get 10% all year round. Home Depot does not do that. Shame on them. All you need to do is show up at the service desk with a copy of your dd214. So if you are a vet and shop at Home Depot maybe it time to try out Lowe’s.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
The one thing that is not mentioned here is preventative maintenance. While costal crusers may be lackadaisical about doing that, the price they pay if something break is a call for the tow boat, while blue water sailors take preventive maintenance very seriously. Of course they normally have spares for every system on the boat including rigging, also not mentioned here. The point is if you look at all the systems on your boat and properly maintain those systems you will decrease the chance of breaking down substantially therefore decreasing the amount of tools and spare parts you need on your boat. That said, you should have the basic tools and spare parts needed to make the emergency repairs that you are capable of handling. For example, if you are not comfortable changing fuel filters what is the point of having them on board? Besides that, there are many things that can and do break when you least expect it. Last summer our cooling water injection hose blew of the exhaust riser a half mile from the dock. We were in heavy currents in a busy river and could have gotten out of the channel to deploy an anchor, but we had no way to fix it we slowed the engine speed and motored on to the dock. The idea of being able to fix anything that breaks and have the necessary parts and materials on board is not alway possible. The key thing is to maintain all the systems on the board to prevent having to do so in the first place.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So lots of excellent comments and suggestions, but there is one tool I haven't seen mentioned that I find really handy to have on board. A high quality portable vise. Here's a picture of mine, it's about 50 years old (it actually looks better that this picture implies). Can't tell you the number of times this has allowed me to make/fix/whatever while working on the boat.
I have a portable clamp on vise, but it stays on the truck. If I was going offshore, I might bring it.

The Shadow's idea of an everything I might need/everything I actually use two box solution is brilliantly simple. And simply brilliant. I bought 28 lbs. of harbor freight tools, and spend a lot of time digging for what I need. Now I just need that extra box.
Two tool boxes. One for hand tools, and another holding the power tools. Plus plastic bins for spares labeled: Engine spares, Plumbing, Electrical, Etc.. Also a couple of tackle organizers filled with spare stainless/bronze screws, bolts, nuts, washers, cotter pins. etc.
organizer..jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The one thing that is not mentioned here is preventative maintenance. While costal crusers may be lackadaisical about doing that, the price they pay if something break is a call for the tow boat, while blue water sailors take preventive maintenance very seriously. Of course they normally have spares for every system on the boat including rigging, also not mentioned here. The point is if you look at all the systems on your boat and properly maintain those systems you will decrease the chance of breaking down substantially therefore decreasing the amount of tools and spare parts you need on your boat. That said, you should have the basic tools and spare parts needed to make the emergency repairs that you are capable of handling. For example, if you are not comfortable changing fuel filters what is the point of having them on board? Besides that, there are many things that can and do break when you least expect it. Last summer our cooling water injection hose blew of the exhaust riser a half mile from the dock. We were in heavy currents in a busy river and could have gotten out of the channel to deploy an anchor, but we had no way to fix it we slowed the engine speed and motored on to the dock. The idea of being able to fix anything that breaks and have the necessary parts and materials on board is not alway possible. The key thing is to maintain all the systems on the board to prevent having to do so in the first place.
Well said. If you keep your boat in 'good nick', a basic tool supply will suffice for some near home sailors. A surprising number of things that go wrong on a boat are repairable with basic tools, supplies and some know how.

A long distance cruiser could have a full shop onboard but still be stranded somewhere not having a part of tool.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
One factor, that I don't recall being mentioned is the distance from your boat to your home workshop/tool supply. If you live a few minutes away, running home to get a special tool is easy. I live about an hour from the boat and 20 minutes from the nearest hardware store. Having a well stocked tool box and parts supply saves a lot of travel time.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
One factor, that I don't recall being mentioned is the distance from your boat to your home workshop/tool supply. If you live a few minutes away, running home to get a special tool is easy. I live about an hour from the boat and 20 minutes from the nearest hardware store. Having a well stocked tool box and parts supply saves a lot of travel time.
That is why most of my tools remain in the Van instead of on the boat or at the house.

2017-07-23 19.20.48.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Hunter 28.5 leach lake Walker mn.
The tool kit suggested by PATECO is perfect!! I have the same stuff, less the power tools. The best advice I ever got was Yanmars are good engines, If you give them clean oil and fuel they will run forever . Lots of oil, fuel and air filters, and the tools and knowledge to install them... and a few spare impellers...

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Have a piece of hardwood say 8 or 9 inches long. Sometimes you have to tap on metal, and you do not want to do it with a steel hammer directly. I don't use toolboxes, I have two tool bags with zippers in nylon. Easier to stuff into places. One for the tools I use often, the other for those I don't use often.

Mar 20, 2012
Hunter 28.5 leach lake Walker mn.
I did notice him/her earlier... is his name HOBIE? That was the inspiration for my log on name that is one nice tool box!!!!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I did notice him/her earlier... is his name HOBIE? That was the inspiration for my log on name that is one nice tool box!!!!
No to hijack the thread, but her name was Luna. We rescued her from a Starbuck's parking lot in the Florida Keys on my birthday about a year and a half ago. Sadly through tragic circumstances we had to euthanize her two weekends ago. She was hanging out with me by the pool in our back yard, at about midnight while I was having a smoke exploring and walking along the fence top. Neighbors Pit mix jumped up on the fence, ripped her off, and savagely attacked her. I instantly jumped over the fence and tried to save her. Fought off the dog, and rushed her to the emergency Vet. After several hours at the vet, it was determined she had a crushed pelvis, and broken spine, and would not recover. She was a great cat, and Michelle and I are still crushed over her loss. RIP sweet Luna.

2017-02-20 14.39.50.jpg She was so tiny when we rescued her.
2017-02-22 15.31.25.jpg 2018-03-02 08.17.20.jpg She got a long great with the dogs
2017-10-27 22.25.53.jpg And our other cat.
2017-09-12 00.01.44.jpg And was extremely vocal and affectionate.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Chip... So sorry for your loss. I am saddened.:frown:
I continue to be amazed how a little ball of fur can come in and take over our lives even if for a short time.
My thoughts are with you.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Chip, that's a terrible way to loose a pet. None are good, but that one is particularly saddening. We had a kitten that was born in our backyard and we saved it. He only lived for about a year and a half but was one bundle of joy! We all still miss him. He passed away from a type of leukemia. When he was with us, a friend of mine sent me this picture, which was the epitome of his personality!
kitten-tiger.jpg