Building a Basic Sailboat Toolbox

Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 1990 Hunter 30 Kentucky Lake
My 1990 Hunter 30 is my first foray into the world of diesel (yanmar 2GMF) and actual working systems on a sailboat. While only 6 ft up on my old Hunter 240 it seems worlds apart in terms of keeping it running smoothly. Just what kind of tools are prudent for me to carry in my stay on the boat toolbox? Also, I noticed there are minor and major spare part kits available for my motor. The major kit goes for about $650. Is it worth buying and keeping onboard just in case. I would really appreciate hearing what you keep on board your board.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No use buying a tool that you don’t know how to use. Once you gain operational skills, the tools that you need will seem obvious.

The basic $100 set that you can buy at places like West Marine suit many people for years.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The major kit goes for about $650. Is it worth buying and keeping onboard just in case.
I don't think so, generally speaking. But then - what kit are you referring to? Got a part number for it, or a list of contents?

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
Are you just day sailing or leaving the dock for a few days weeks. If so then ditto on a full set of belts, engine hoses the preformed ones, hose splice kit and lots of clamps all sizes, add to that some spare hose for your water intake as well. then add in a spare or two for every filter you have. For tools just a wrench and socket set for the sizes you use and a couple of wrenches for the stuffing box and exhaust elbow. Should be a good start.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Start with a basic tool kit, no need for top quality as they will likely rust in a boat's humid environment. Screw drivers , plyers, a hammer and a set of metric wrenches should do it. Don't waste money on spare kits. Just purchase what you need to have handy. I require from time to time maintenance parts like, impeller, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and separator and usually and usually purchase two at a time of each for convenience. I also keep hose clamps and Duct tape. I have seen people pack as spares, alternators, starters, mixing elbows and other things that unless you are planning on a trip to Timbuktu makes no sense. In today's world any part is just a couple of days away by Fedex. Also when replacing belts and hoses you could keep the old ones as spare but the truth is that these parts are hardly ever re-used and just end up as clutter. One thing that I would urge you to purchase is a shop manual for your engine. Clymer used to put out a very good manual which included 1,2,& 3 Cylinder engines for Yanmar's GM and HM series. Catalogue #B800. Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2013
Hunter 1990 Hunter 30 Kentucky Lake
This is the description from the vendor of the kit.
Lube Oil Filter Minor Kit Parts Plus:
Fuel Oil Filter Kit Full Gasket Set *
Air Filter Element * Injector Washer *
Set of Zinc(s) + Gasket(s) * Can Engine Paint
Belt(s) Lift Pump + Gasket *
Water Pump Impeller & Gasket Parts & Service Manuals
Coolant Treatment * Fuel Injector *
Marine Diesel Fuel Treatment Heat Exchanger Gaskets *
Fuel Bleed Screw & Washer * Thermostat & Gasket
MACK 726 Dry Box Water Pump Seal
MACK 727 Dry Box (XL)
*Does not apply to all engine models*

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
CA,
When I was first starting out, an old sea salt told me of the best way to keep the important tools
in my onboard toolbox.

FIRST, start out with 2 toolboxes. One empty & the other one loaded with the tools you
first brought aboard to use for whatever projects you feel would need to be done.

Moving ahead to various projects, go to the full toolbox, pull the tools for the project at hand,
THEN, transfer these to the empty toolbox. You may also find that that in the future, you will need to
bring additional tools to use, but if having to use them again, also add these to the once-was-empty toolbox.

Finally, when you don't have to go into your first initially filled toolbox looking for a tool,
the second toolbox will hold most of the tools you will need onboard. Then, take whatever's
left in the original toolbox back home.

Sometimes you may find a frozen aluminum or stainless steel bolt that has stripped at the points.
If so, I would look into Metwrench socket tools. If the points are stripped, these sockets bite
down on the flats for easy removal. The added beauty is that you have less Metwrench sockets that fit
both SAE & metric sizes.

It's that simple pal..........

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The "kits" are made for just this purpose. "do you want to upsize that burger meal sir?" What are you prepared to need to do out on the water, vs what are you prepared to do at the dock. The first two items are prevention - can you plug any thru hull failure and what tools may be necessary to accomplish that task, and when was the last time you checked or changed the fuel filter or raw water strainer and what tools may be necessary for that. The list grows from there, and should probably stop before you go shopping for a 34 out of storage need. :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Those bundled spare kits are very over priced. If you shop around you could replicate for $200.

I bought my wrenches and such from harbor freight. Yes they are not quality tools but have done just fine for boat usage. For battery tools drills impact vacuums... find a brand you like and stick to it. For my shop I use Bosch, but for the boat I’m using the one+ system from Ryobi.

Drill bits don’t go cheap.

Les

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
As to tools start with this article. https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/33_3/features/Boat_Tools_5413-1.html.

Spare parts are necessary but these lists do go on a bit. The major and minor parts lists are actually pretty subjective and I daresay these are a manufacturers way of selling parts (some of which are very useful) and some of which you will use rarely in a pinch. Spare oil is one thing for sure, maybe a filter too.

Of the things in the typical minor kit - belts and water pump impeller are useful - the rest is really periodic maintenance items that you don't need to carry around. Of those in the typical major kit a spare thermostat might be useful, so also a spare lift pump. One doubts the rest - paint for example - is very useful. Also consider the spare injector - how are you going to know which of the two or three needs replacing? So do you replace all of them? If so, then you need the copper seals for all the injectors and a full set of spare injectors. Plenty good idea for a remote cruise but otherwise?

Charles

Oh and always - a hammer

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
From my experience with my 2GM:

SPARES
  1. Fuel Filters
  2. Belts
  3. Impellers
  4. Complete spare raw water pump. (not critical, but saves a whole lot of time when an impeller fails on the water)
  5. Electrical Tape
  6. Watertight Heat-Shrink Butt Connectors and Ring Terminals.

HAND TOOLS
  1. Hammer
  2. Crescent Wrench
  3. Socket set (Metric & SAE) 51 Pc SAE & Metric Socket Set
  4. Screwdrivers 8 Pc Professional Screwdriver Set
  5. Pliers set 5 Pc Pliers Set with Comfort Grips
  6. Wire Crimping Tool
  7. Self Priming Shaker Siphon
POWER TOOLS
  1. ShopVac
  2. Cordless Impact Driver (your favorite brand)
  3. 3/8 in. Metal Keyless Chuck for Impact Driver
  4. Hex Drill Socket Driver Set 3 Pc for Impact Driver
  5. 100 Pc Security Bit Set with Case for Impact Driver
  6. Oscillating Multi-Tool Not necessary, but I use mine alot.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
For somewhere between $100 and $150, you can get a reasonably decent toolkit in a nice plastic case which has a place for each tool. Wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, Allen wrenches, the whole enchilada.
As for your tools rusting, that's completely in your hands. I have tools that have been continuously aboard that I bought in the 70's, even unchromed ones, and they aren't rusty. As with everything else on a boat, if you take care of things, they will take care of you.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have tools that have continuously aboard that I bought in the 70's, even unchromed ones, and they aren't rusty.
I like using good tools. The best ones I have are on the boat. I also have a spray can of Rem-Oil, and keep the tools oily to prevent rust.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I like using good tools. The best ones I have are on the boat. I also have a spray can of Rem-Oil, and keep the tools oily to prevent rust.
Never heard of Rem-Oil, but I'll look for it. I've always liked PB Blaster to coat my tools, but it's getting hard to get in the islands these days. Our day to day box in the engine room weighs 50# (got curious so I just weighed it), and there are less used tools stored all around the boat. Doesn't every sailor have a 4-Ton Porta Power aboard?

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Thanks. I looked it up and as weapons aren't allowed down here, there's little chance it is available. Not a very good item to import either, I should imagine, unless you want the officials tearing apart the boat, looking for weapons. lol.
A light coat of 3in1 oil or wd-40 will keep the rust off your tools. I spray wd-40 on a rag and wipe down my tools when I think of it and the only tools that have rust on them are the ones that came rusty with the boat.