Bug Pants

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the worst place on the lakes is off Harbor beach, mich. there was a sugar beet factory that we suspected to be the cause.

lake michigan, green bay, they can be anywhere, or none at all. it's hit or miss

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I call them May flies, but maybe only because they seem worse early in the season. They are vicious, blood-thirsty little critters. I keep a supply of swatters on board and issue them to crew as needed. When my boys were around, they could kill a lot of flies and the cockpit looked like a battle zone. Have to hose out the cockpit after a sail like that.

If catnip oil, tar oil soap or whatever that Victoria Secret stuff is works, it would a great find.

Greg

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Black Flies are the scourge of those of us who live in Upper Michigan. And the bites will definitely leave a mark, and hurt like the dickens

Then there's the lake flies of Wisconsin that don't bite, but will turn your windshield green and make you not even want to get out of the car when they're swarming.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
anyone try one of these tennis racket type swatters onboard...

View attachment 193586
I keep one handy in the salon. Using them is a lot of fun, if you have a bloodthirsty streak in you, sort of like sprinkling salt on garden slugs. You have to develop the right technique, though. Zapping flies is different from zapping mosquitoes. You have to approach them each in its own way.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
anyone try one of these tennis racket type swatters onboard...

View attachment 193586
Not that one in particular. I think I got a few at Harbor Freight with a coupon for $1.00. Was dubious of their efficacy but thought it'd make a good joke. The things are wonderful flies pop like popcorn when you zap them. Wish there was one large enough for squirrels.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yes, but more energy spent trying to swat them.:facepalm:

Jim...
Not that one in particular. I think I got a few at Harbor Freight with a coupon for $1.00. Was dubious of their efficacy but thought it'd make a good joke. The things are wonderful flies pop like popcorn when you zap them. Wish there was one large enough for squirrels.
Y’all be ready for the next pickle ball tournament.