Bug Pants

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm not sure these are the same creatures, but we used to encounter big biting flies when doing the ICW. I distinctly remember them between Beaufort SC and Thunderbolt GA and many spots I don't remember as distinctly. They seemed to be very territorial, and on the fast sport fishing boat deliveries (25 to 35 knots) they were usually only a bother for 20 minutes or so. I couldn't imagine passing through these areas on a slower boat, taking hours or most of a day, unless you had inside steering.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
One thing about the Great Lakes flies (stable flies) is they are programmed to bite legs of animals. It actually helps to get your legs up on the seat so they aren't vertical. Strange, but try it. It works.

In one sense, the gnats are worse. They get so thick the deck and seats get slippery with them. So gross. At least they don't bite.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Lots of interesting information, but so far I have not heard from anyone that actually tried Bug Pants. I see them advertised on Amazon and other places. Bug pants do appear to be an inexpensive solution that does not necessitate the use of chemicals. I still would love to hear from anyone that actually tried them.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I’ve been using Amber Mist from Victoria’s Secret. It works as well as the others and smells good. If you’re a little squeamish about going in and buying some, I’ve got you covered. Last count was over eleven cases in the boat. I don’t mind. In fact if you mention my name you’ll get a good seat.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Fly swatter makes a nice anniversary gift. Hard to find a good one though.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Whoever said white clothing would work? I would dispute that considering the days when those buggers would look like somebody exploded a pepper mill all over my white sails. I have to tell guests not to swat them when they’re on the sail, they leave a bloody mess. They only wait to bite ankles until your hands are busy and you have to be at the helm.

The things are cannibals too! Swat one on the deck and 10 more appear to dine on the carcass. I’m glad the boat has on open transom. That makes it easier to hose out the carnage when we get back to the dock.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Those flies are nasty. I was at a regatta in Hudson on the Ottawa River a couple days after crossing Lake Ontario and people were asking what happened to me, my legs were covered in scars from the bites. A nurse friend said I should see a doctor to get them checked out. I planted trees for a summer in Northern Ontario, the black flies and mosquitos were incredibly thick, to the point that it was hard to breath without inhaling them if you faced down wind where they congregated. They are nothing compared to the nasty lake flies that take a chunk out of you but look just like ordinary house flies.

The bug pants would likely work but they look kind of baggy and might catch on deck hardware. Maybe if you tuck them into socks they'd be good.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Nope, not black flies. We are familiar with these critters, especially in the Adirondack Mtns. They hatch in running water, like brooks, springs, and creeks.

The Great Lakes flies are quite visible about the size of a house fly and when slaughtered are filled with blood. Our cockpits can seem to be the scenes of great carnage on a bad day.

Some have resorted to high powered weapons to counter their assaults.
I have a Bug-A-Salt. Very satisfying, and IMHO the best tool to get the critters when they're on your ankles.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
at the sign in for the chicago/mac they issue 2 flyswatters to all the captains. i carry a dozen more on board. my record for one swat is 14. i baited a small area with moist sugar, just to be fair on the rules of the contest.

May 25, 2012
i suggest you buy the pants and report back to us.

now, what about the mosquitoes at dusk in the north channel?

May 25, 2012
the flys ride on the side of the hull. i carry yard guard to clear the hull.

May 25, 2012
i've had 10,000 on board during a mac race. it can get ugly!