Brown stuff no rotary device yet.

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Have a 2002 Catalina 310 Hull 166, on the hard here in Nova Scotia. Was away from the boat for about a week, weather was all over the place, rain, snow, sun, fog and pandemic. Upon uncovering the bilge I noted in its forward section there was very dark brown "water". It wasn't there before. I looked further and it is coming from the starboard side fitting in the transverse member that the fresh water hose goes through. It is only on the aft side of the fitting and transverse member, nothing on the forward side. The hose is intact and is not leaking in this area. The transverse member is also the support for the deck stepped mast. The brown stuff is consistent with some rotting or wetness in that area or coming into that area from elsewhere. Had the same colour on my Catalina 30 when I replaced the area under the deck step that was soft and leaking brown stuff.

Has anyone had this occur on their boat? I am prepared to cut out the area for investigation and repair, but its a yoga exercise and I only have one elbow on each arm. Any advice or experience anyone can forward would be greatly appreciated. The photos are of the brown crud, then looking to starboard at the source, then looking at the source more directly, the forward side of the same fitting and lastly close up of the forward side with PW hose. Again thanks to all for your help. Tony.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It looks like the stain is coming from that transverse member. I'm guessing that the wood core of that piece is rotting - if it has a wood core. That was a sloppy way to make a hole and I doubt the evil doer bothered to seal the hole to protect the wood. You could make some test holes around the hose and see what comes out in the drill bit. That would size the problem and,of course,seal them up after.

Apr 10, 2010
Have contacted catalina regarding this matter and the only response has been "picture is worth a thousand words" . Extremely disappointed as catalina has been very helpful with my previous cat30. I trust this is not the demise of what used to be called "customer service", this really sours my opinion and trust in catalina given that I consider the only response from them as flippant and cavalier. Disappointed barely scratches the surface.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I don't think I'd be so hard on Catalina support except to say that a better way to respond to you would be "can you send pictures so we can better understand the issue you are describing?" However, without pictures I had no idea what you were talking about and and the extent of the problem. With the pictures it is pretty clear. Now days that expression "a picture is worth a thousand words" has become so common place, especially on the internet (if you made your request by email or a service request form") and I am sure the support people get tired of trying to "guess" what you are trying to describe. Think telling your wife about how to adjust the throttle linkage by words only. You see it everyday here on this forum and I don't consider the poster as being flippant, but rather saying pictures can be very helpful in diagnosing problems. Send them the pics and see what they do then. I'm not being critical of you, just saying read your description and imagine not being able to see it?

Apr 10, 2010
The email was to Warren Pandy and it did have three photos showing what the problem is. I have no indication that the photos did not go through along with the email. Don't wish to get sidetracked here and I certainly accept your valid and factual critique. Thank you for comments and those of shemandr.