british sub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The reporter needs to learn the correct terms :
1. To sink below the surface of the water: The ship struck a reef and foundered.

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
Ya but who's at fault for runining aground- the captain or the personel who laid out his course of action during the sea trials :stirthepot: LOL

jimmyb

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
HMS Astute!!! did they name it before or after this screw up? Who did they put in charge of the depth sounder?

I'm not one to laugh at someone who just stubbed his toe, but hell.......hahahahahaha!!!

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
Maybe this is another one of those deals where the Deck Officer's command was executed improperly by the Helmsman because of a "change in the steering system"?
:)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
it IS sea trials

Perhaps the depth sounder is mis labled or not calibrated. Or the new boat has a different depth of keel and the persons involved got it wrong.
They don't call them trials (and tribulations in this case) for nothing.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
My favorite part was:

"The ministry emphasized that only a part of the submarine was stuck."

Did the rest of it carry on?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I wonder how many mishaps would occur if we assembled a crew from the forum for an America's cup boat. After all, we know how to sail. How much trouble could we get into on a new boat with a knowledgeable crew?

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
I wonder how many mishaps would occur if we assembled a crew from the forum for an America's cup boat. After all, we know how to sail. How much trouble could we get into on a new boat with a knowledgeable crew?
Ross, I'll bring the video camera!! ;)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My favorite part was: "The ministry emphasized that only a part of the submarine was stuck."Did the rest of it carry on?
Reminds me of the cowboy who went into the general store to by ONE spur. The clerk said they only sell spurs by the pair. The cowboys says, "well, if I get one side of the horse to giddy-up, I reckon the other half will keep up".

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
From the comments on the article:

trankwill
i'd be loathe to spend too much time underwater in tight confines in a boat whose name sounds like the "HMS A$$-Toot"..

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
They are conducting a full fledge investigation about the amount of water in the "Grog".

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I think the defence budget cuts could means replacing standard eqpt with cheaper option like lead lines for depth sounder. So the ensign could report, "...depth checked 30 mtrs ....." and that was before the dive.

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
Ross,
Im not sure about a sailing crew but with the one liners you guys post in this forum you would kill at amateur comedian night at the local pub. :clap:

jimmyb

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well I guess this puts to rest anyone who relies on sensors ( GPS, depth, etc) instead of learning DR, one paper chart and the old guy that knows the neighborhood, eh. The British will fix it better, no worries.
All U Get

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
That captain is going to live the rest of his career with a lot of ridicule over this one......can you imagine in a pub and there talking about diving to some ridiculous depth and some one shouts "watch out you don't go aground"

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
sorry guys i am still spewing coffee over hms asstoot....LOL.....who gets to buy me a newer lappy????? come on , now-- is only fair.....

name of the sub will forever live in infamy--

Status
Not open for further replies.