Bristol 24

M

Member 131497

Anyone installed a bow roller on a B24?
If so, could you provide photos /advise
pls?... and thx to all who so far have assisted with previous questions... Thx again!
C

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Send pictures of your boat's bow and fore deck both on the surface and from inside the bow. Will be needing to look at the way too support the roller and provide a fairlead to your windlass.
I installed a bow roller on my CAL 35. Was not too difficult.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I installed a bow roller on a Bristol 32. First mistake was not getting a big enough roller. Because it was so short and didn't project out enough, the CQR's plow point would make contact with the hull. I got a piece of white rubber and glued it to the affected area. Because of the toe rail I need to elevate the roller. I used a piece of pressure treated 2x4. Today I'd use PVC dimensional ..

Oct 22, 2014
It is about location, setting a good angle, alignment, and properly bracing and backing.

I selected a Mantus for my primary anchor. Selected their bow roller because it came with a fitting positioned below and in front of the roller that grabs the anchor tip when drawn tight and secured.
Here are a couple of images showing the anchor roller, tip guard, anchor, and windlass installation.
25C2EFED-437B-4644-AAED-2B6FF61306B4.jpeg5D841BC8-CF41-49DC-9559-83EEB449F997.jpeg

M

Member 131497

Thx sooooo much for the time and effort to send me this.. Very interesting, it looks very good. Ill post the final result of this task.

M

Member 131497

Send pictures of your boat's bow and fore deck both on the surface and from inside the bow. Will be needing to look at the way too support the roller and provide a fairlead to your windlass.
Photos show interior of boat v berth area
Also topsides where the bow roller coyld be installed. Noticed its far back since if it was further forward the weight would
Tilted forward for ilustration purposes and fall. The port rope choke must be removed so tbe bow roller will use that spot.

M

Member 131497

Photos

Attachments

M

Member 131497

M

Member 131497

Cant get the rest if the photos up, the menu is not showing up... Sorry... Anytbing im missing while trying to do the upload?

M

Member 131497

M

Member 131497

Im having trouble uploading photos.
Here's my email
B24sailing@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2014
Hey sailors...
Here are the photos from Carlos's Bristol 24. He would like ideas on installing a Bow Roller to hold his anchor.
20191118_151504.jpg20191118_151848.jpg20191118_151005.jpg

Ideas are most appreciated.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If it were me.... I'd establish the height difference between the foredeck and the toe rail. Then come up with a filler. Teak wood, PVC or pressure treated. It looks like the chocks are in play. I might toy with leaving the chock in place and building up enough so a hollowed out area could encompass the chock. Consideration for the furler drum ( clearance) must be regarded. AZEK is a PVC product that also has a generic copy. These could build up the space to allow for a solid mounting surface. Good luck

Oct 22, 2014
I am looking at it in a similar way. You need to locate the roller such that it extends far enough off the bow for the anchor to hang with out striking the bow. This means the roller has to be attached to the deck with something like a block of wood to make the roller lay horizontal to the bow edge. Under the deck needs to have a solid backing plate with bolts secured running up thru the backing plate/deck/deck block/roller. It looks like you have the room in front of the twin cleats but you are going to eliminate one of the bow chocks making one side unusable.

I would make a backing plate for the cleats or at the least get larger fender washers. The small washers curently on the cleat bolts are not satisfactory to hold the cleats on in any type of weather.

I suggest first before diving into this and all of the possible compromises, consideration be given as to how you plan on using the anchor.. Do you even need a bow roller? Looks like the pair of bow chocks and the cleats are there to handle a bridle. For a 24 foot boat you do not really need a big heavy anchor and a lot of chain unless you are planning to anchor out in a force 8 gale or bigger storm. I think I would try to evaluate the way I was planning to use the boat before I would go into this work and expense. One could get by for a while with a 150 foot line and an anchor tossed over the bow and tied to one of the cleats. A small anchor and rope rode would be easy to deploy and retrieve by hand. Stow the anchor below deck and only break it out as needed. Would keep the weight low in the boat instead of hanging heavy off the bow.

If my use had me anchoring out in heavy weather often then I would take a look at the roller option. The anchor and the rode would be usable on the roller option or the manual low key system.