Bristol 19/Sailstar Corinthian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2010
Sabre 28 Newburyport
Merry Christmas. I have own a 1969 boat for the last 3 seasons. She was in rough shape when I got her but have slowly reconditioned the boat. I bought her for a handle of rum and had some concerns about the open cockpit but the price was right. After sailing for the last three years and having little kids I wouldn’t change the cockpit arrangement at all. It is deep and safe and gets you really close to the water. I have the boat on a morning in Newburyport Ma without a cockpit cover. I mounted a flexible solar panel on the companion way hatch that I purchased for about $120 on line. That connected to a small car battery provides enough charge to keep up with rain water and occasional water coming over the rail.

After sailing her for three years I would make a few design modifications to improving sailing. I would increase the roach of the main sail to increase the weather helm, The boat has some lee helm in light air coming out of a tack. I would also cut away the front edge of the keel to reduce the turning radius and increase the size of the rudder. The rudder being triangle shape results in the top portion of the ruder to be very narrow and inefficient. I will make the modification to the rudder and increase the roach and add a small salt water trolling motor as I have not used a motor for the last 3 years.

My good friend has a Cape Dory Typhoon. In general Typhoons tend to be in better condition as they have less wood work and less maintenance Sailing wise the Corinthian is faster on every point of sail and in all wind conditions from 1 knot to 25.

Overall I am very happy with the boat and after refinishing the the wood work this winter the boat should be in “like new condition” this winter.

Happy sailing.

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
I would be very interested in what you would suggest about the rudder. Mine is sandwiched between two slabs of aluminum that someone must have done as a repair for the rudder disintergrating. This is one of my high priorities to get the boat back in the water safely. I would be interested in what size and shape you suggest as well as material suggestions?

I had planned to core with okume and the sheath with cloth and epoxy but any suggestions? Thanks

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
As a note I also was going to rebuild the framework with stainless rod welded to the rudderpost, similar I think to the original , but add more stainless rod as a webbing for strength. I have seen other boats (not Corinthians), with a stainless shell build around the frame then fiberglassed but that can be very expensive when considering the cost of stainless plate even just 16gauge

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
I would be interested in the type of trailer you use. The trailer that came with the boat is toast, I am patching with welds just to be able to launch this year. Afer that I either have to build a new one or buy one which will be worth more than the boat.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Rich,

I would keep the rudder the same shape as the original. My teak rudder is still in good shap, and I am happy with the way the boat handles. I can usually steer with 2 fingers, and can make tight turns.

You might be able to make a stainless steel rod framework and fill with foam. You could then shape the foam and cover with a skin of fiberglass. You should be able to match the original shape. However; I have seen pictures of 2 different rudder shapes on Corinthians. Mine is squared off, and I have seen a rounded rudder.

I made a trailer for my Corinthian from an old power boat trailer. I made 4 adjustable stands, and a longer tongue with a 7' extension for launching. I have about $400.00 in the trailer, including the $200.00 I paid for the powerboat trailer.

Attachments

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
I agree about the rudder and am thinking of doing as you say. My neighbor has an old powerboat trailer that looks similar to yours and once I get the boat off the existing old rusted trailer I will use that to fabricate one similar to yours. Thanks for the picture she looks fantastic. Happy New Year!

Feb 9, 2011
bristol corinthian Buffalo
I need to replace my spreaders. They were missing when I purchased my project boat. I would love some good pictures. Can any one measure from the outside of the mast to the shroud? On my mast there is just a hole through the mast (side to side) ehere they belong.

Feb 25, 2011
bristol corinthian Kittery, ME
My corinthian has a through bolt with spacers that the spreaders slide onto. I can measure the length of the spreaders tomorrow.

Nov 27, 2010
Sailstar Corinthian Island Heights, NJ
Corinthian #151 just launched

Here is a photo; just got it launched. I've decided to sail it this season and take stock slowly of what it needs. The rudder will probably be the first major improvement.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Wow, what a cutie! (uh, the boat looks nice too) Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.