Bristol 19/Sailstar Corinthian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Who else sails one? What do you think of sailing performance, etc, compared to other similar boats, such as the Cape Dory Typhoon?

I bought mine a year ago, and actually got it on the water for 1 day last year. I've sailed in 3 club races so far this year, against larger boats, up to 35 feet. In milder conditions I've done very well, actually posting the best corrected time. In windy/choppy conditions, less well; finishing about the middle of the pack.

I find my Corinthian to be a great little sailer. It's realitively easy to launch from a trailer.(I dry sail it.) Holds up well in stiff winds, and yet sails better than expected in light air.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2010
Bristol Corinthian Falmouth
I have been sailing mine for 35 years or so. I've never raced her. Mostly been a day sailor, although my wife & I used to do overnight cruises. It's a rugged little boat, seaworthy enough for the changeable conditions of Buzzards Bay.

Jul 5, 2007
The only reservation I have about my Corinthian, is the non-self draining cockpit. However; mine still has all the foam flotation built in, so it would probably stay afloat if swamped. The low-to-the-water position of the cockpit seats are a fair trade for the inconvienience of the non draining cockpit. It feels as if I'm right on the water when sailing.
I like the motor well set-up. I use a 2hp outboard that I can lift out easily after motoring. I have a plug for the small well that helps her to sail better. I also have the halyards run back to the cockpit for easy singlehanding.

I'd love to try mine in saltwater. I've had my Bristol 24 offshore a few times, but the Corinthian has always been on a lake.

Jul 23, 2010
Bristol Corinthian Falmouth
I wouldn't be too worried about the cockpit. In my years of sailing I've never shipped significant water. Alberg was well known for his conservative designs, and the Corinthian is very sea worthy. I did sail once in a whole gale across 14 miles of open water, taking perhaps a bucket or two over the coaming.

I have at times used a motor in the well, but mostly I find it to be more trouble than it's worth. It might be different on a lake, but where I sail, wind always comes up eventually. It can be a little tricky to pick up a mooring solo under sail, especially if it's blowing in the harbor, but it's not worth the bother to me to set up a motor just for that. I'm not crazy about the motor well, stowing and unstowing well insert and motor, plus the tendency to ship water with the insert out (and a bit while in) while on a starboard tack. I guess I'm just a purist at heart.

Since I'm nearby where the Corinthians were made, there used to be a lot of them around. Now there's only one other in the harbor, I guess time and hurricanes have taken their toll. Mine dragged a mooring and banged a few other boats during one hurricane (Bob) but survived with superficial damage, Corinthians are pretty overbuilt by today's standards.

I've resisted the temptation (and advice) over the years to upgrade to a bigger boat. For me there's a sweet spot between a day sailer and a cruising boat in a size that I can sail casually into shallow water and yet sleep on occasionally and get me home in a blow. This was my first boat and will likely be my last.

Jul 5, 2007
I just returned from a morning sail in the Corinthian. The GPS read between 4 and 5 mph in a very light wind. I'm really impressed by the light air sailing qualities of a boat that was probably 3300 lbs loaded. It doesn't take off too quickly; but once moving, she keeps a good speed for the amount of wind.

I plan to keep the Corinthian as my last boat. I bought it from an old timer in New York, that had sailed Corinthians for decades. It was his last sailboat.

Jul 5, 2007
New picture

Another picture of Pheonix crossing the finish line of a hare and hound race...1st place! Winds were light for this race. Came in 3rd in the next, longer race in slightly stronger wind, but beat several other, larger boats scratch time. These are great little boats!

Attachments

Aug 22, 2010
Bristol / Sailstar Corinthian 19 Trailer Sailed
I recently purchased one. #83 is on the main, but we can find no further information on the boat as to hull number--appears to possibly have a wooden rudder that has been covered in fiberglass. I am presently working on refitting her.

She is being trailer-sailed in Ontario, Canada. She was purchased from a yard up here that was buying boats in the States and refitting them for resale in Canada. They were going belly-up and sold off the contents of the yard for $900 a boat, including cradle.

If anybody could supply information on the winches, etc. that came with the boat, that would be useful! I have it rigged enough to sail at the moment (just got back from a cruise on the North Channel of Georgian Bay, in fact), but I am missing deck hardware and will be setting her up for singlehanding.

Jul 5, 2007
Congratulations on the Corinthian. The early Sailstars didn't have a hull number as far as I can find. Mine is a 1967 model with the 361 sail number. Yours is probably hull number 83, made in 1966.

Although I have never used the winch handle on my Corinthian, even in races; I believe my winches are #6 lewmars, and are not original to the boat. I have the mast hinge bolt replaced with an eye bolt, with an eye nut. That allows a place for attaching blocks at the base of the mast, for leading the halyards back. I single hand "Phoenix" most of the time, including racing.

Attachments

Sep 27, 2010
Bristol Corinthian 19 White Rock Lake
New Corinthian Fleet One Website

http://corinthiansailing.com
FYI: Corinthian Fleet One at White Rock Lake, Dallas, Texas has a new web site now up and running. We sure would enjoy having Corinthian owners nationwide visit the site and check out the forum section. The site is brand new, so content is being added quickly. Go to the forum there and start a topic. We would love to get to know you and have some conversations regarding these boats we all love!

Sincerely,
Shaun
Corinthian Fleet One | Dallas, Texas

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
I have Hull#150 that I am tring to get back into shape to sail again. It ia definately a "Project Boat". I bought he boat in Hull and have it now at home in Pembroke, am looking forard to the summer or late summer when I get done Do you hae any idea where I could get a copy of an Owners Manual to help me through the "What Goes Where" issues. Thanks
Rich

Jul 5, 2007
owners manual

I've never seen an owners manual for a Corinthian 19. Your best bet is to ask for specific pictures to be posted on this forum, and look at the pictures of the boats for sale on the internet.

The Corinthian is a very simplly rigged sailboat. You should have few problems finding suitable parts for it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2010
Sailstar Corinthian Island Heights, NJ
I just bought #151 in Toms River, NJ, on the Barnegat Bay. Strange coincidence. It is in sailing condition, though many cosmetic improvements could be used to really make it look good. I'm happy to correspond about anything Corinthian-related. I do not have an owners manual, nor have I seen any on the web.
- joe

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
Corinthian

What I have recently been told is that there was never an Owners Manual for the Corinthian. Do you know what year yours was built? The previous owner of my boat says she was built in 1970 and that the hull number is 150? That does not seem to fit with other boats built before that with higher hull numbers.

Jul 5, 2007
Year of Manufacture

my hull# 361 was built in 1967. It is a Sailstar Corinthian. Bristol bought the company a few years later. I suspect your boat is a late 1966 or early 1967 Sailstar.

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
Re: Year of Manufacture

That's what I think as well. I have looked over the hull closely everywhere except on the stern port side where there is an outboard mount that I plan to take off. Since I cannot find a hull number anywhere maybe there is one there? If not then it is a wild guess?

Sep 27, 2010
Bristol Corinthian 19 White Rock Lake
Bristol Corinthian Fleet One Website

A new point of reference for the Bristol/Sailstar Corinthian 19 sailboat can be found at

http://CORINTHIANSAILING.COM

Go there and register your profile and log in and contribute to the Corinthian class legacy at Fleet One. Site is new, so the forum lacks content. Why not add some now?

It's a site not just for the fleet but for the class!

Attachments

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
Re: Bristol Corinthian Fleet One Website

I have been told that some 19's were fitted with self draining cockpits. Has anyone seen this done or is it even possible? Could the cockpit deck remain at the level it is or would it have to be raised to get the proper drain. I quess that this would be similar to what the Typhoon has?

Jul 5, 2007
cockpit

The original cockpit is at or below the waterline. The seating position is one of the neat things about the Corinthian. I really feel like I'm right on the water.

One could easily build a new cockpit sole a few inches higher, and drain it into the motor well, but you would lose that great perspective of being close to the water.

I keep the cockpit covered in the slip, and use a bilge pump when needed.

Nov 27, 2010
Sailstar Corinthian Island Heights, NJ
What I have recently been told is that there was never an Owners Manual for the Corinthian. Do you know what year yours was built? The previous owner of my boat says she was built in 1970 and that the hull number is 150? That does not seem to fit with other boats built before that with higher hull numbers.
My Hull #151 is only determinable by what I think is the original sail's number. My title says 1966 vintage. There is some type of HIN but it is not the modern standard format. I don't have that number with me now.

RichS

Sep 29, 2010
Bristol 19 Marshfield MA
Thanks for the input, I will stay with the original arrangement for the cockpi, just not enough room to play with and you are right about losing the efect by raising the sole.

Hey Joe mine is #150 so that seems to set mine boat sometime in 1966 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.