Brand new EV-100 Wheel pilot with "NO DRIVE DETECTED" error.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Well my new EV-100 wheel pilot worked great for about 1½ hours.
Then I turned it to standby and back to auto and got an error "NO DRIVE DETECTED". The manual said that error was due to a bad connection between the ECU and drive but the wire is very well protected and nothing was in that area in the 5 seconds between working and error.
I removed the wire connector from the drive and reinstalled. Nothing.
I tested that two connectors for voltage when I ingaged auto. Nothing.
I tightened the connection at the ECU. Nothing.
GRRR! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Electrical fixtures and instruments are fickle, they can last a lifetime or fail in seconds. Suggest you call the Manufacturer's Customer Service for help in troubleshooting or replacement.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I believe there is thermal overload protection for the motor built into the system as well as a fuse in the ACU. (The fuse I’m thinking of could be in the iTC5)
I was on a buddies boat when the motor got hot and the ACU shutdown for a bit a couple of times. Once and we found the wheel brake on, once for no apparent reason other than maybe it was working too hard.
Definitely a :banghead:moment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The drive is the motor. It needs to be connected to the ACU. BLUE WIRE to “A” terminal and BROWN WIRE to “B” terminal. Then pluged in and secured to the motor. Check the motor is properly assembled.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
No drive detected, check your Rudder Feedback Unit connexion. Rudder may move but movement is not detected. Other possibility is the fuse of the drive unit. You get the same error message when the fuse of the drive unit has blown, ask me how I know :banghead:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Moving down the possibilities list, once in while you will find a new wiring harness/bundle with a bad or, more likely, intermittent open circuit somewhere in the wire length. Can you, as a further test, remove the power cable to the motor and test each side with an ohm meter?
And, strictly FWIW, I have found that feeding the motor end of the loop with a 12 volt cable is sometimes better than depending on the smaller bus circuit wiring. These are just guesses, tho. :(
Good luck!!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
The Raymarine tech staff is great to work with. At least that has been my experience. The folks that answer your call don’t know much and have given me bogus info. Ask to be transferred to the tech staff and they are excellent. They will walk you through the process of solving your problem.

Apr 5, 2009
The Raymarine tech staff is great to work with. At least that has been my experience. The folks that answer your call don’t know much and have given me bogus info. Ask to be transferred to the tech staff and they are excellent. They will walk you through the process of solving your problem.
Do you have a phone number? The only contact info I found was by email.

Oct 22, 2014
Try the number on this link.

Questions? Call us at 1-800-539-5539
Do you have a question about a Raymarine product? Raymarine's Product Support Team has answers you need. Ask us about product installation, operation, troubleshooting and just about anything else you can think of. We can also help you choose the best combination of Raymarine products and accessories to make your boating experience more enjoyable.
Our Nashua, New Hampshire USA support center is open from 8:15 AM to 5:00 PM (Eastern), Monday through Friday.

Apr 5, 2009
Yesterday I did some furthar diagnostics.
  • Cable from ACU-100 to wheel pilot motor was tested for continuity and it is fine.
  • 12v touched to pins on motor and motor turns so motor is fine.
  • P70 display is normal
It seems that the problem is somewhere inside the ACU-100.

• Wow
Apr 5, 2009
I talked with Raymarine service and they say that the "NO DRIVE DETECTED" error is due to wiring fault in the ACU. The most common reason for this is that the wires in the 5-wire STng cable have a bit of the non-stripped insulator in the wire terminal. I will check that out this evening and see what happens.

Oct 22, 2014
Have a buddy to pull you back out from the "Hole" should you succumb to ACU frustration.

Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
I’m had a similar issue when I installed the EV-100 on my boat. And ran similar checks. It turned out that it takes considerable pressure, at least on my unit, to fully engage the connector with the motor. The protective cover prevents you from being able to confirm this visually. Removed the connector reinstalled it with greater pressure and it fully engaged. It’s worked perfectly ever since. Just a thought.

Apr 5, 2009
I’m had a similar issue when I installed the EV-100 on my boat. And ran similar checks. It turned out that it takes considerable pressure, at least on my unit, to fully engage the connector with the motor. The protective cover prevents you from being able to confirm this visually. Removed the connector reinstalled it with greater pressure and it fully engaged. It’s worked perfectly ever since. Just a thought.
I am pretty sure I got the connector to the motor fully seated. I pulled the water-protection rubber boot back up the wire from the connector and was able to get it to ingage and lock with 2 clicks like the STng connectors. After the second click the connection was solid with no wiggling. Then I slid the boot back into place to protect it.

Apr 5, 2009
Time for a mea culpa. <edit for jssailem ;)>
I found my problem and it was all relating to my "knowing" how I had connected the system and not checking to see "how" it was acctually connected.
I installed a 4-fuse block to provide seperate fuses to
1. 5A - old analog gaugeses and VHS
2. 3A - new Garmin plotter
3. 3A - SeaTalk network
4. 10A - AP drive motor power

When I got the "NO DRIVE DETECTED" error, the first thing I did was check the 10A fuse in #4 and it was fine.
Yesterday, I checked fuse in the ACU and it was fine so I checked for 12 at the ACU drive connection A&B terminal. 0-V utoh!

I check for 12v at the 10A fuse and all good. I then check the other fuses and yep, blown fuse on #2. I used identical 14-2 safety cable (red/yellow) to extend supplies cables for #2, #3 & #4. I obveouly connected #2 to #4 and #4 to #2. :facepalm: I had power to the plotter so there was no reason to check the fuse in #2, right?!?!? D'oh!:banghead:
The wires are now connected to the correct terminals and I have a 10A fuse on the motor drive instead of a 3A. Good to know that under normal loading, the motor uses less than 3A. It blew, when the pilot lost way under a big wind shift and turned to lock which cause a locked amature spike and blew the fuse.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That sounds like something I would have done.
Glad you found it before pulling the ACU.

Oct 22, 2014
Time for a mia copa.
MIA -an English rapper, singer,
COPA - Conservatory of Puppetry Arts

Not really sure how it is time for that.

Perhaps you meant “mea culpa”
Latin phrase that means "through my fault" and is an acknowledgement of having done wrong.

Who would think 3 years of High School Latin could be helpful.