Brand New Boat What to anticipate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim McCarty

Just purchased my first (brand)new boat. A Catalina 310. It will be launched in about 3 weeks. Just looking for opinions/insight on what to anticipate that MIGHT go wrong on a brand new boat. I have read great reviews on the 310, however I have also read (with just about any brand new boat) that little things do go wrong, and I am curious to know what kinds of little things go wrong with the 310, OR any other new boat for that matter. Thanks in advance...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C310 Congratulations

...Tim, on your new boat. You'll love it. Peruse the web, there is usually a Sailnet email List or a Catalina Association for your boat. [www.catalina310.org, or www.c310.org] You get to the www.Sailnet.com list to sign up easily and find your model. This forum is also helpful, but not usually specific to any one boat, so going to a "specialized" for your boat site is preferable. You could do a Forum Archive search here on "C310" and maybe catch some hits. Try the link. New boats have the same thing in common as older boats: stuff happens. Be around with the dealer for commissioning, and read, read, read, learn, learn, learn. Find out as much as you can about boat systems and buy Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Manual for Mechanical and Electrical Systems." Everything you'll need for that boat is in this book. Best $50 you'll ever spend on your boat. There are hundreds of other smaller books that cover the subjects that are in this one book in different ways. Enjoy, Stu

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Keep those cards and letters coming

Stu suggests read, read, read - in particular, read all your owners manuals. You'll be amazed at just how many there are! Find all of the warranty cards, fill them out, make copies of them, and send them in! One of the benefits of this will be that in order to get, for example, the serial number of the hot water heater, you'll actually have to stick your head in some hole, find the unit, find the serial number and write it down. One thing we noticed in our new 350 was that the water pump would cycle on every once in a while. I finally was able to find a weeping connection at the (coincidence) hot water heater that would allow just a little pressure to bleed off, causing the pump to cycle on. Above all, enjoy! Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

J

John

C320

Tim, you will love your C310 and may you have many happy sails. When I purchased my 320 we sailed from the dealers dock for the first three weeks. Only problem we had was a minor water leak from the gallery sink ... clamp not screwed tight enough. Other than that our first year was seamless other than getting use to docking such a large boat after spending years with a 22 footer. Enjoy her. John s/v lady k

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Put all those manuals in a notebook and

guard it, invaluable in the future. There is probably a little filter on the fresh water pump that will collect all the little bits of plastic left from fitting the lines that you will need to clean after pumping a few tanks. There will be quite a bit of sawdust & fiberglass dust in bilge and other low points of the hull from all the drilling and filing done fitting interior. Try to vacuum all you can now while it's dry. Put a good coat of wax on everything that will benefit, fiberglass, stainless rails, chrome etc. I even like to wax the fiberglass interior cabin overhead, makes it easy to wipe clean. This is just little stuff, I hope it's all you need worry about. I've lusted after the 310 since it's introduction, congratulations. Oh, probably should check propshaft alignment after the boat goes in water, I think it's part of comissioning checklist.

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!!

Great suggestions thus far. This is my third boat, but my first new boat, so, though I know much about general boat maintenance, I know little about those little quirks that might go wrong with a new boat. I just want to stay ahead of the game, so anyone else out there with similar suggestions, feel free to say hello.

May 21, 2004
Catalina 320 Westbrook, CT
Leaks

Check for deck and other above-the-waterline leaks right now, before launching. Dry out your bilge. If any water collects there in the next three weeks (presumably, it will rain during that time), a leak needs to be identified and fixed. Of course, you'll need to check again after the boat is in the water and all the standing riging is installed. Try to get as much done before you leave the dealer's dock. Happy sailing!

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
New Catalina

Oh Boy Tim. Where do I start. I have been holding off, but now seems as good of time as ever. My brand new Catalina 387 has been nothing short of a nightmare. The first thing that happened was the running out of fuel in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay with 3/4 tank indicated on the gauge while trying to come back in without cooperative winds and little room or time for tacking; after all, that's what an aux is supposed to be for. Bad sending unit and gauge. Next, the bolts that connect the output shaft to the sail drive fell out and wound up under the motor. The battery selector switch was wired backwards and would drain down the opposite battery while showing full charge on the battery I thought I was using. The sales rep claimed there was no sea strainer, which caused the engine to overheat, thanks for the hi temp alarm, since the temp gauge turned out the be defective as well. There is no mention in your owners manual of the location of the sea strainer, or at least in the one for my 387. The UV protector de-laminated on the main sail which is on an in mast roller furler. When we dropped the main to send in for repair, the halyard is chewed up and ready to break from something in the top end of the mast that has chewed through the halyard line. This was by the way the first time the sail had been dropped or the halyard moved since it was installed. The neutral leg of the ship to shore connector on the boat melted and almost started a fire which I found on the 15th of Feb this year. This was a Hubble connnector. We have replaced it with a Marinco which seems to have much safer design features to contain the stranded wires. The wire was installed at the factory in Florida on the wrong side of the lug, so that when the lug was tightened, it turned the wire off the lug instead of drawing it in. (Should be wrapped clockwise instead of counter clockwise). Other than that, and a few minor situations with the Knot meter and water temp gauge on the knot meter for the bay water temp being off, it has been lots of fun. We have not had her in the water one year yet and we have put just under 1000 nautical miles on it learning the boat and our Chesapeake Bay. Would I ever buy a brand new Catalina again. NEVER, NO WAY, NOT NO, BUT H**L NO. Would I recommend a new Catalina to a friend, No Way would I put my reputation on the line for them. I do love this boat though and I bet that this can happen with almost any new boat, just like a new car. Quality Control has gone out the door just like customer service here in the good old US of A. They have been replaced by pursuit of the almighty dollar. What I have done is learn to not rely on any gauge, but on charts, physical measurement and inventory and the use of a good watch, compass and common sense. Hopefully, mine was one of those outside the 3 deviations of the norm under the curve and you will have nothing but a fantastic season. I do need to put in a plug for my dealer, Chesapeake Yacht Sales; they have been super on doing the warranty adjustments, without them I would have insisted on my money back. This was not a cheap boat and none of this should have happened. Good luck, fair winds and following seas my friend, welcome aboard!

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
New boat commissioning

I used to be the Operations Mgr of a large sailboat dealer in Seattle, so I can attest that new boats, every one of 'em have issues that need attention from the beginning. Buyers' expectations are that everything will work - understandably. After all, we buy a new car and everything works (usually) and boats are considerably more expensive. The reality is that although the manufacturing process has become more streamlined with mass produced boats, just about every component is handled by a person. Not only are humans fallible, but boats typically travel via truck many miles, bouncing and creaking over every bumo in the road. By the time the boat is put together in the water and handed over to the customer, most of the systems have never been fully put to use. I recommend any boat buyer take the boat out for a first cruise for a couple days (at least one night) with a legal notepad for notes. Buyers are the first to use the head, cook a meal, put reeds in the sails, anchor etc. Make an appointment before this cruise to return in 2 to 3 days with the pad noting issues that need attention. Invariably, you'll have a list and the dealer will be able to attend to your issues much quicker at their facility than if you took the boat to a remote location and reported problems down the line. This isn't to say more problems won't be encountered later - it just helps take care of the obvious problems up front so you get your relationship with your new boat off to a good start. Congratulations on your 310 and above all, have fun! Trevor

T

Tim McCarty

This was a good idea

I'm still here, so keep the suggestions coming...thanks to all incl. Trevor and ITMaster. Our dealer is 8 hours away (by sail). We sail on the western end of Lake Erie. The boat is tentatively being splashed the week of the 18th. We plan to spend the weekends of the 23'd and 30th "shaking" the boat down, or as my dealer puts it,"trying to break the boat". Then, the plan is to take it across the lake to our marina May 6 and 7. Don't really want to be caught on Lake Erie with a major problem, as it can be a very challenging situation (I know from past experience...which makes for a great sailing story...), so, to say I am very appreciative of every response is an understatement.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Travel Time

Tim I can relate to the 8 hours, if I get lucky, it is 10 to 12 hours by water and a bit over a 100 mile round trip the way the crow soars. Hope all goes well and that you get to use it a lot and not wait on warranty adjustments. I forgot to mention, the head was glued to the bottom of the boat and that came off also. They are supposed to actually bolt it down this week. I have a letter on the way to Frank Butler to see what he has to say about all my troubles, most importantly, the situation about the ship to shore power, I could have found her burned to the water line, or worse yet be inside it. I now have smoke alarm installed on board and check my electrical connections twice daily without fail. Good Luck, Tom

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks Tom...

I would sure like to know what 'ole Frank has to say (if anything). I met him at Strictly Sail in Chicago just this past February. He is a very colorful guy...actually quite eccentric ("an old salt"). So far though, I am still pro-Catalina. I do appreciate your suggestions, have listed them out, and will be checking them upon my next visit to the boat. the ship-to-shore connection is of primary importance. I would be interested to know what response you might get from Catalina though...thanks again for your input!

K

Ken

My New 310 Experience

My experience has been very good. Yes I have had some warranty issues, but so far nothing major. I took Delivery of my new 310 in June 2004 after ordering it at the Dallas Winter boat show. My dealer set me up with the factory tour and I was able to see her on the line in Largo, FL. I was impressed with the operation and the quality control systems in place. It really is a well built boat-yes I have minor cosmetic flaws but I don't stress over them. Biggest issue is the Head door knob came off (Loose bolts) and the topping lift bolt was too short at the boom attacment. My Dealer (Inland Sailing Center-Great people!) happens to be less than 10 minutes to my slip so issues get resolved pretty quickly. MY suggestion is sail around your dealers area for a week of two, shake out any warranty issues and have Fun!!!

Nooee

Jun 2, 2004
- - Sydney NSW
New C310 PROBLEMS

Tim I have a c310 Hull no 254 now just over one year old. I have to agree with replies 7 & 8. We found a number of major problems on our first overnite stay, luckily our dealer was just around the bay from where we were. For starters we had leaking transmission oil from the gearbox - turned out there was no breather in the ZF gearbox, the agent here agreed it should never have left the factory in Italy. Sewage all thru the stern of the boat and the bilge. The Y valve was wrongly connected (by the dealer) Twice the engine conked out, fortunately both times going into the dealers marina berth. That problem took two visits from the Yanmar mechanic. Our list to the dealer itemised 28 problems. We did not get to use the boat for 2 1/2 months ie most of summer, as it was at the dealers marina. I agree with Tom I would never EVER buy a new Catalina again. The faults were from Catalina ie Largo factory and from our dealer here. The issues are customer service and quality control. I previously had a 2nd hand Catalina 28 Mk 2 only a year old when I bought it. The difference between the 2 is like chalk and cheese. With the c28 which was built in California we had only 2 problems in 5 years compared to 30 or so in 12 months with the C31. Since our antifoul 3 weeks ago, we have replaced the cutlass bearing, ripped out the Wilcox Crittenden toilet replaced it with a Jabsco, fixed leaking coolant, had the engine idling adjusted, as the vibration was too much. All this, out of our pocket since we have given up dealing with the dealer. I hope you dont have many major probs, the only way to check it out is to stay on at a night or two and use and check everything, like Trevor suggests.I think now we are at the end of the problems run. For a new boat what we have experienced is totally unsatisfactory, I havent bothered to document all this to Frank it is such a saga and from what I read and hear no one will reply anyway. Despite all we love the boat and like many features of the catalinas, compared to the other European makes available here in Oz. My expectations were based on our lack of problems with the C28 so it came as a shock to have all these problems and took the joy out of purchasing a new boat. Good Luck with your new boat. Hope it is only little things that surface. Sue

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I must say I have heard of more problems

on the bigger boats then the boats made here in CA. rather disconcerting. The striker plates for head & aft cabin on my 270 were not "inlet" (I know that's not right term, but having a senior moment). A sharp chisel and some patience & the doors work as supposed too. The bolt is very short and it's tough to get it just right so it opens & closes but don't "POP" open whenever you hit a wave. Some mentioned this I believe, also sounds like it would be a good idea to get a cheap circuit tester and check all 110 volt outlets while it's plugged in at dealer's dock. Can't think of good way to check 12 volt other than turning everything on for a while and smelling for smoke, watch voltmeters.

K

Kevin

Catalina Problems

Tim, Good luck with your 310! I bought a new 320 in 2003. If I could do it over again I would; 1) With hold a sizeable amount of the final payment until I had fully inspected every inch of the boat and sailed her over a two week time period. 2) Not taken delivery until everything was 100% to my satisfaction. 3) Lowered my expectations, there will be issues its a matter of how and when they would be addressed. Catalina has no post sales survey for its owners to comment on their buying experience. Without it, Frank probably believes everyone is completly satisfied! Too bad. Knowing what's wrong and fixing the problems would help future owners and ensure Catalina's long term success.

T

Tim Ryan

New 310

Tim, Good luck with your new 310. We took delivery on our new 310 last year and we love the boat. All new boats will have some minor problems. We had the standard vibration problem and a charger that went bad. Work closely with your dealer on those things. Our dealer took care of those issues with no problems. The 310 is a great boat. If you have a major problem, you have to make as much noise as needed to get Catalina to take responsibility. Our boat has been a real joy to own and I would do it again. Tim R.

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks to all...

for the very helpful information. I have made up a list of all of the problems that people have encountered, and plan to inspect each area on my own. It's a shame that Catalina doesn't have one of their marketing people monitor this website. I know for a fact that Huntermarine monitors their owner's website, as I had left several threads that actually got some attention from my former (Hunter) dealer (He had been contacted by Huntermarine directly to follow up).

Status
Not open for further replies.