Box above my electrical panel

Dec 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Middle Bass Island, Oh.
I have an 1984 Catalina 30. My electrical panel is located on the back of my navigation table. Above the electrical panel is a matching but separate "box". From the left, the box has a battery charge meter, a battery switch, a cigarette lighter socket, a stereo, and a battery charger switch, in that order. Sorry, I don't have a picture but I'll get one. Does anyone know if this is or sounds like original equipment? I need to remove it to change out the stereo, but after trying for an hour or so, I couldn't get it out. It doesn't seem to be attached, but there isn't any clearance. I am hoping that someone else has run into this and may have a suggestion?
Thanks
Roger

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I need to remove it to change out the stereo, but after trying for an hour or so, I couldn't get it out.
Most stereos come with installed with "sleeves" to hold them in.

IMG_20170316_113140.jpg

The "trick" to get them out are two small sheetmetal tools that come with the radios, called Radio removal tools/trim panel tools. They slip in the sides of the radio to remove the unit from the sleeve.

Nothing you mentioned seem to have come with a stock C30 of that vintage, other than the battery switch which could have been moved by a PO from the main electrical panel below.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If the new AM/FM/etc. radio is a "standard" car unit, it should swap-out and have the "sleeves" that Stu Jackson describes above.

You can find odd-ball units that don't -- but if you do that, then you'll have to perform reconstructive and plastic surgery on the panel over the nav station. (My advice, be conventional).

You probably could ask around and borrow the "sleaves" from a shop that you buy car radios from.

Dec 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Middle Bass Island, Oh.
Thanks guys. I have two keys or sleaves and used them with no luck. Maybe some luck as one side of the stereo was loose but the other was tight. I'll try that again. Might just need to get aggressive.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I have two keys or sleaves and used them with no luck.
Make sure you put them in the right way. In two regards: which end and which side is in or out.

Any and all car stereo instruction manuals will show you this, but almost all are different. If you know what radio you have (and you should since you have the tools), see if you can find the manual on www.crutchfield.com or Google.

Good luck.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Our boat has a teak box on the Port side for the stereo. Problem with it was that it was made back in the "day" and would only accept stereos with a tuning and volume knob. We had to buy a small jig saw and hand cut the face to accept the above pictured new style sleeve for a modern radio.

http://a.co/3ZpkgFB