Bow Falls off!

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
I come in at 2.1 kts. Keep the engine engaged so the prop wash over the rudder gives you more control. I have a 3 bladed 13x10 prop, and it will stop me in about 5 feet of travel from that speed. Your astern thrust will probably kick your stern to port, so plan to accommodate that. Don't come in idling in astern, as it will just walk your boat, not stop you.

Go find a mooring buoy, and practice "docking" repeatedly at it, coming from different wind directions, until you are familiar with your boat characteristics. Practice spinning your boat in place so you can get out of tight spaces (helm hard to stbd, alternately pulse ahead and astern)... note Clockwise rotation works better.
I will try buoy practice, still cleaning up boat after launch. We were antsy to get in water to check thru hulls that were redone recently. It is nice to be back at the dock again!!!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have same boat and noticed the same thing. It seems to have a lot of windage and needs plenty of water passing the rudder to track straight in winds.

I also have the same issue with prevailing winds on the starboard side trying to push me into my neighbor on port side.
The old adage to never enter your slip faster than your willing to hit the dock doesn’t work with this boat if your in a slip that is not protected from the wind.

I use the a stern bridle as mentioned by @jssailem and a variation of what @RoyS does. I use a Docking Stick which snaps onto my boat hook to put the loop of the stern bridle over the aft piling.

You do need to come in with enough speed to keep enough steerage to overcome the wind trying to blow you into the boat alongside you.
How much speed depends on how much wind. There is no set speed, you need to have enough to overcome the wind.
Then when you are far enough into the slip to put on the stern bridle, put it in reverse with enough throttle to almost come to a stop, put on the bridle, then move slowly forward so the bridle swings you into starboard side.
As the boat settles against the dock I put the wheel hard over to port. This causes the prop wash to push the stern to starboard away from the port boat.

i use permanent dock lines and dock solo. I have one line on all four corners before anybody gets off the boat. It may be different if you have regular crew but I do not.

My bridle line runs forward to a block attached to the bottom of forward shroud attachment, then runs back to the winch.

It took me while to learn learn a good technique to enter my slip in strong winds.

Good luck.

PS: Somehow I missed @Hayden Watson s post. I do practically the same thing he does, except my attachment points are different.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I also never come into the slip straight (parallel to the finger). I approach at an angle of about 15º into the finger and when the boat is just short of the dock, I turn the stern into the finger and reverse to stop.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Perfectly normal, in a light displacement boat, for the bow to be blown leeward at slow speeds (especially when docking or leaving slip). As others have mentioned, you can rig a bridle or use an aft spring line attached to midship cleat to help. Also realize that docking with wind from port side of boat will exacerbate problem because reversing prop will cause prop walk that shifts stern to port and bow to stbd + wind blowing bow to stbd also. It’s always a problem, especially when operating single handed, you have got to stop the boat and when you slow down, the wind will blow the bow to leeward.
Try approaching dock with bow at an increased angle to dock and using an aft spring line. Attach the spring to midship cleat when boat is moving slowly and is about half way into slip. Return to helm. When spring line tightens, turn wheel hard away from dock and power up; the boat will “walk” to dock. Adjust power to keep boat against dock to allow ample time to secure lines & to avoid hitting your neighbors boat. Realize that the stronger the wind, the more power will be required for the boat to walk to dock.
I am fortunate to have finger piers and pilings on both sides of my dock, so I have spring lines as well as other lines pre positioned on both piers. I always approach the windward pier first and walk the boat onto that pier using the aft spring line. I maintain just enough forward thrust to keep the boat against the dock while attaching all windward dock lines. Then return to neutral and the boat drifts to the center of the slip, enabling me to pickup the leeward lines with a boat hook. I would suggest practicing with the help of a mate to get the hang of it. This is an essential skill to master, especially if you single hand.

Last edited:

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
Two thoughts for you.
  1. You might check your prop. You got a great deal for the boat so there is no way of knowing it the previous owner has the best prop for your boat. I had a squatting problem when I powered up to hull speed. This is the prop that was on the boat when I bought it.
    View attachment 169902
    I changed to a prop called a CampbellSailor. Made by WestbyNorth.com
    Here is what the new prop looks like.
    View attachment 169901
    It generates more straight thrust with negligible squat. At cruising power I gained a full knot. An improved prop may also help you.
  2. The docking procedure I now use is kind of like what @RoyS shared, only no one has to jump off the boat and try to do anything. Not having to jump makes me happier and everyone safer.
    It is explained in this video. Docking using a Stern Bridle.
I will change to the Giles style as it looks so much safer and easier than trying to hook a cleat with a 10" eye splice!

Oct 11, 2019
Catalina 30TRBS New Bern
Mine pulls port and pushes starboard at slow speed. That being known, i put the bow to the port side when I enter knowing it will pull over when I reverse. Wind adds another dimension to this that practice will polish for you.