Bought an ODay 25 - Question about cracking/spidering around the mast

Aug 27, 2024
Oday 25 Marina
I'm new to the forum, and the boat. I bought it sight unseen and went out and took a look yesterday. The cabin needs some serious TLC, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the shape she is in, all things considered.

My primary concern right now is what appears to be some cracking around where the mast attaches to the deck (see picture). My question is how concerned should I be, and how do I determine if this is a crack/spidering is structural or just cosmetic? When walking on the deck around the mast, it was very firm and hard, so that makes me feel a bit more comfortable.

As some background, the boat was abandoned at the marina. The mast has been up for at least three years. I inspected the stays, and the connection points on all four sides and they seem to be strong (see a few more pictures).

Any thoughts or input would be appreciate! I'm really excited to get started cleaning her up and in a perfect world might be able to get her in the water next summer!

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The crack at the mast doesn't look like a spider crack. It looks like it involves the underlying laminate. The crack there can foretell rot of the support for the compression post if one exists. Or that the deck structure needs to be strengthened.
The cracks around the port chainplate could be described as spider cracks but thy are still a concern to me because of the position - around the chainplate - and because they radiate out from the chain plate.
To further investigate you could test for wet core. Maybe with a moisture meter or with test holes. Also sounding may be useful.
Both areas are under stress and are important structurally.

• Helpful

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Welcome to the forum!
You don't say what year the boat is but it's 40 years old or more. It will definitely have some wet decks around the mast and chain plates.
I agree with @shemandr, the crack running from the wire gland looks to be a bit brownish, an indication of rotted core.
Pour a glass of water around the base of the mast. Does it pool like it's a bird bath? If not, you're OK until it does, unless you want to tackle repairing wet decks now rather than later.
Look inside at the bulkheads near the chain plates. Are there water stains on the bulkheads? if yes, is the wood rotted or soft? If so they definitely need to be repaired or replaced. Look at the bottom of the compression post, the 2x4 on the bulkhead under the mast? Does it show signs of rot top or bottom? If not that should be good. If it does it should go on the list for future repairs.

I had a friend who sailed a boat with wet decks that were spongy in areas. Mast and rigging were secure. Some people would be concerned. He wasn't and I wasn't when I crewed with him in races.

Enjoy your boat. I sailed one for 6 years. Fun boat.

Aug 27, 2024
Oday 25 Marina
Thank you @shemandr and @Ward H for your quick input! I'll do some more investigation when I get back out to the boat in the next week or two report back with any new information.

Oh, and yes, it is a 1977, so in its mid-40s ;)

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
This fall marks 19 years with our Oday 25 . I second the suggestion about the bulkheads . Check where the chainplate attaches . Is it rotten ?
I replaced ours because the through holes were elongated.They were never wet .I've been convinced that in and of itself is highly unusual.
However the bottom of the compression post was rotten . This was due to leaks and standing water . When I installed the replacement
compression post the bottom 4 inches were saturated with epoxy and fiberglass .
The two small triangular plates on your upper stays are for raising and lowering your mast easily . Be glad you have them .
Once you get done pressure washing your new boat let us see .

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Welcome aboard. I'm curious as to the configuration of this vessel. CB or fin keel? I'm guessing the former. OB or inboard?

Jul 19, 2022
Oday 23 Lake Murray
The two small triangular plates on your upper stays are for raising and lowering your mast easily . Be glad you have them .
I don't have those on my 23. How are they used? Something must connect to that third hole, I'm assuing.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Welcome aboard. I'm curious as to the configuration of this vessel. CB or fin keel? I'm guessing the former. OB or inboard?
There are fin keel O25's but they're pretty rare. Ive only seen two or three pics of them in the past five years

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
The triangular plates provide an attachment point for lines the go to a gin pole . The length of the gin pole is the distance from
the mast base to the bow stem fitting where the forestay is connected . These "baby stays " keep the gin pole and mast from going sideways when the mast is either being raised or lowered.I runa line from the tip of the gin pole through a set of double blocks that end up back on the mast winch .
This set up allows me to easily and safely raise and lower the mast . I can do this on the trailer or even on the lake .
The original setup from Oday had the mast being lowered forward towards the bow.
The lines from the triangular plates went to the rear of the boom .
Set up this way ,theoretically one could use the mainsheet to safely lower or raise the mast.
When we tried this with the 25' ,we found that the weight of the mast over the bow was much more than 2 very fully grown men could safely manage .