Bottom Paint

May 19, 2017
Catalina 27 Al Larson Marina San Pedro Ca.
Hello all!
Seriously, what happens if I don't haul out and paint bottom?
If I have to paint bottom how often?
Thank you,
SF1

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
If you don't you get a very dirty bottom and will cost much more in the long run,
all paints are different and all areas are different and ask in your area and what they recommend.
I have a friend keeps boat on lift and no bottom paint and went out cruising
for 2 weeks and on way home boat was running Hot and it was a power boat and the bottom had become dirty and causing the motor to run Hot from more stress on the hull speed.
Nick

May 19, 2017
Thanks Nick,
I just bought the boat,
previous owner and my diver advise painting, just saving up! How long can it go?
Other than accelerated marine growth what is the worst that can happen?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hire a diver to clean the bottom on a regular basis... usually once a month. should cost around $40/cleaning. The diver will also give you a report on the condition of the bottom... which will help with future decisions.
Bottom painting is a fairly easy DIY project... the biggest expense is hauling the boat out.... so do some research and save your money.. then you can make a plan that fits your budget and time frame and still enjoy the boat.

May 19, 2017
I know Joe!
It's stressing me out and I bought this boat to try and relax!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's stressing me out and I bought this boat to try and relax!
You should have taken up golf.

Boats will always have something. You either enjoy that process or you buy the services of BMW's. (Boat Marina Workers). Like with your house repairman, some are great and worth more than the ask for. Others not so much.

Or you continue here reading what others share and asking for help so you can do the work yourself and know what was done. Soon you'll find that there is less work and more sailing. At least that is the dream.

May 19, 2017
Ok, I've chilled,
I'll do the work myself, I'll tape the water line and apply epoxy barrier to all leading edges and then paint the rest!?

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I kept a Boat in Marina Del Rey for 10 years on the water. I used Petting Trinidad bottom paint. I also used a diver to wipe the bottom clean every 60 days. The paint lasted 2 yrs and required scraping and the iron keel required filling in the electrolysis holes (from boats with power and lights underwater full time). It was not that bad it came to approx $2500 every two years for bottom job and keel repair and about $ 100.00 every 60 days for diver (he also checks zincs). In addition I had a cleaning service for 125 mo that cleaned the boat every 2 weeks on Fridays.
Having boat on water is pretty good. You can go and spend weekends in it or sail off to Catalina for several days.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Bottom paint is very noxious. There are a lot of restrictioons on application and location. The paint has a funny habit of sticking to your skin harder than to the boat bottom (like crazy glue). You should wear anti contamination gear.

May 19, 2017
Funny how the Coast Guard can use any paint they want but joe shmoe gets regulated, noted, I will get some tyvek coveralls! I remember when getting your Merchant Mariners Document you just needed a letter from your maritime employer. Recently I just spent thousands on meticulous training i.e. how many gallons of fuel does a sea stallion helicopter hold and ways to deal with pirates! Just venting......

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Seriously, what happens if I don't haul out and paint bottom?
Nothing horrible will happen. However, anti fouling paint that is no longer effective will allow rapid fouling, reducing your boat's performance under both power and sail

If I have to paint bottom how often?
A high quality anti fouling paint, properly applied and maintained, will provide 3-4 years of good performance. In the LA/Orange County area, "properly maintained" means having the bottom cleaned every 4 weeks. Relatively frequent, gentle cleanings will significantly extend the lifespan of your paint as opposed to less frequent (and therefore more abrasive) cleanings.

Last edited: