Bottom Paint on a Cradle

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I’m going to strip the bottom coat off my 78 Hunter 28.5 (1978) that sits on a cradle. Sounds like the normal thing to do is to hang the boat on the crane over a weekend to paint the two sections where cradle sits. Trouble is it has to be done no matter what the weather is (been there, done that - weather was really crummy!). Minnesota spring weather can be fickle!

Looking at the cradle, if I have it moved back about 6 or 7 inches, I could calculate the geometry to figure out how much I would have to raise the keel and bow of the boat on the cradle to fill it in with straps of wood (1/4” pieces to bend... and some padded carpet) so that it should safely sit back enough to finish the two sections that would need to have the epoxy base and bottom coat Painted on, more at my leisure (and weather conditions).

Is there any real driving reason that I wouldn’t be able to do this?

Sir Michael
0424171716b_320x192.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
First, why not ask the yard what they recommend - they've probably done one (or a hundred) of these jobs before.

Second, I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing, but be careful. As @Brokenarm said, the thing is actually sitting on the keel, with the side supports just keeping it upright. That said, every year some jerk tips his boat over, sometimes with tragic results, trying to lower a pad or jury rig a support. Once it starts moving, it's on it's side (with you under it?) in a flash: Be careful in the boatyard, check those chains and jack stands...

Unlike, Brokenarm's comments, I think that you are less in danger of damaging the boat as the bottom is probably pretty resilient to bending regardless of any interior bracing, particularly as it will be static (not being beaten on a rocky shore by waves). I think that your best option would be, after you finish all prep and re-painting of 95% of the bottom, to get your yard to lift and replace it 8 inches back or forward to allow you to do all the prep and coats on the pad areas. There looks like there is plenty of room on the keel board to move it at least a foot in either direction. This is what my yard did when they stripped and re-painted, but they did it with jack stands rather than on her cradle.

1617022090529.png