Bottom Paint, centerboard lift replacement, and shroud problem on Hunter 240

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
This thread contains three questions for my 2002 Hunter 240 (I have attached pictures for each question)
How important is bottom paint? I included a picture showing the original (2002) bottom paint flaking and rubbing off. I sail mostly in local fresh water lakes, but I plan to sail in the ocean too. Should I get her painted?

The centerboard lift line has never been replaced but it looks in fair condition as it exits the deck. It only gets a momentary load dropping the cb when launching and raising it when returning. Should I replace it? It looks like it can be accessed with the cb dropped while the boat is on slings and simply replaced with a messenger line. Any advice?

My upper shrouds tend to fall out of the mast holes as it is being raised. The little plastic retainer does not seem to help much. Is my boat missing something or is this an inherent problem with the boat design? I have fixed the problem by simply attaching a small bungee cord around the front of the mast to hold the shrouds upward as the mast is raised - and this seems to work. Any comments?

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I’ll leave the issue of bottom paint to others that may be better informed. (Ours has never been painted.) but can give some insight on the other two points.

i believe the cb line on the 240 is similar to the 260 - they both use the same bracket. The line can be changed while the boat is in a sling. It involves dropping the bracket from the interior, connecting the new line and then lifting/securing the bracket back into place.

Unfortunately the design of the Center board and the location of the connection with the line does not allow a simple change and messenger line. There are several good postings of the overall process for the 260 which should be the same.

here’s one of the Threads on cb line replacement.

The issue of the shrouds is a common one, your not missing any parts. The 260’s experience it as well.

Some suggest masking tape before raising. I hold them in place with my hand as I raise the mast from the cabin top, others have riveted pad eyes or conduit straps over them to hold them in place.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Re: Bottom paint. Do you launch for each sail or keep it in a slip? If launching, and day sailing then no bottom paint is required.

Regarding the lift line... UV damage is more likely than any load wear. I have replaced mine and here is a write up of the process (see attached file)

Attachments

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Re: Bottom paint. Do you launch for each sail or keep it in a slip? If launching, and day sailing then no bottom paint is required.

Regarding the lift line... UV damage is more likely than any load wear. I have replaced mine and here is a write up of the process (see attached file)
Thank you very much. Good advice about the bottom paint. Yes I always launch it but someday I plan to go harbor hopping along the southern california coast from Ventura to Ensenada and maybe around the Baja - should I bottom paint it for an extended trip over a month? I also included a close up of my current hull condition - the flaking and slight blistering concern me. Is it just the paint coming off?

Thanks also for the excellent instructions on cb lift replacement. Mine is slightly worn on top mainly from UV. When you replaced yours, how old was it and how bad was it inside? I am wondering if I should go through the trouble.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
That looks like paint flaking off to me. And your line looks okay for a few more seasons.

A month in the water and you will start to develop some slime. A soft bristle car wash brush on a telescoping pole should do the trick. I have one on my boat. When I anchor out in a cove, I'll slip on a life vest like a diaper and float around my boat and brush the bottom with this

1581010518160.png

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
That looks like paint flaking off to me. And your line looks okay for a few more seasons.

A month in the water and you will start to develop some slime. A soft bristle car wash brush on a telescoping pole should do the trick. I have one on my boat. When I anchor out in a cove, I'll slip on a life vest like a diaper and float around my boat and brush the bottom with this

View attachment 174762
Thanks for the advice! But if I just keep it trailered to fresh water, do you think I will ever need to repaint it?

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
On the centerboard line, my 1998 is still on the original, plan to change it this spring, but have to find a lift.
On the bottom paint, I've been using Interlux VC-17 but still get substantial slime/algae growth in freshwater. Still have to clean it off. Makes me wonder if it is worth the trouble and expense to paint.
On the shrouds, the rubber retainer plugs work well on my 240. This San Diego dealer has them- you need 5/32 size I think:

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice! But if I just keep it trailered to fresh water, do you think I will ever need to repaint it?
I used to own this boat...

2011-wax1.jpg

I would sail a week or two each summer in the Pamlico and Albemarle sounds. The rest of the year I day sailed off of the trailer. The bottom is painted with Rustoleum - not a traditional bottom paint. "Bottom" paint is a toxic paint that inhibits growth. But before things can start clinging to your bottom an ecosystem of slime must first become established. That takes a few weeks.... good news is the slime is easily rinsed off with a little water under pressure (garden hose w/thumb over nozzle, car wash or home pressure washer). So as long as you remove the slime every week or so, you are good to go. So the brush idea I mentioned earlier is just to knock the slime off.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
Thanks again for the great advice! I will order the plate retainer plugs and use the bungie cord strap in the meantime.

So I think that I will just leave my boat as is and be diligent cleaning off any slime. What's left of the paint will probably eventually rub off but will still provide a little protection. Doesn't look great but saves me $900.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
For perspective, my 240 has always been kept in a slip in fresh water and on the trailer indoors from mid-November through early March. I’ve always used bottom paint, switching to hard epoxy 15 years ago. it’s easy to scrub off minor sliming and do quick touch ups of any chips or scrapes before spring launch. A quart of paint drys up before it’s used up.
The lifting line has never been replaced, but that’s mostly because I don’t have access to a lift. The line still looks good on the top side and at the keel attachment point.
Those little rubber plugs are a pain. A long time ago I began using replacement wedges cut from artificial “corks” from wine bottles. Works perfectly.
Happy sailing!

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego
For perspective, my 240 has always been kept in a slip in fresh water and on the trailer indoors from mid-November through early March. I’ve always used bottom paint, switching to hard epoxy 15 years ago. it’s easy to scrub off minor sliming and do quick touch ups of any chips or scrapes before spring launch. A quart of paint drys up before it’s used up.
The lifting line has never been replaced, but that’s mostly because I don’t have access to a lift. The line still looks good on the top side and at the keel attachment point.
Those little rubber plugs are a pain. A long time ago I began using replacement wedges cut from artificial “corks” from wine bottles. Works perfectly.
Happy sailing!
Mr. Ed, thank you very much. So you put on your own paint (hard epoxy)? Which brand do you recommend?
How old is your lift line?
Thanks for the cork idea - I'll try it. Right now I just jury rigged a small bungie cord to hold up the shrounds as the mast is being raised.

MrEd

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 240 Louisville, KY/ Patoka Lake,IN
Mr. Ed, thank you very much. So you put on your own paint (hard epoxy)? Which brand do you recommend?
How old is your lift line?
Thanks for the cork idea - I'll try it. Right now I just jury rigged a small bungie cord to hold up the shrounds as the mast is being raised.
Being a lazy guy, and having a busy schedule at the time, I had the marina crew sand the VC17 I started with and do the initial application of epoxy based paint. That was at least 15 years ago and all I’ve done since is annual minor touch up. I have used West Marine Bottom Shield and been pleased with the results. A quart holds me for at least a couple of seasons before the remainder dries and clumps up in the can.
The lift line is original, so it’s 20 years old. I always leave the board down when she’s in the water so there’s no strain on the line. Of course, being in fresh water helps. Still, I know the clock is ticking!
Good luck with everything.

Apr 14, 2018
Hunter 240 San Diego

rgranger, thanks again for your help. I think that I am going to finally replace the lift line. Should I also replace the cb bracket pin and roller too? I want to make sure I have all the parts before I pay to put it on slings.

Joseph

Jan 19, 2010
I did not do that with mine and they were in good shape so no need. Wish o could be more definitive but I think you will just have to see what condition yours is in. Does the board seem to lift easy?