Boom Support/Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
I put my boom on this weekend and noticed that it only has one attach point, which is on the mast. There is no cable holding up the other end. I suppose once the sail is installed it will hold the boom up.

Is this the way MacGregor designed it?

Jun 30, 2007
Macgregor - Spring Creek, FL
You need to install a topping lift. This is a line from the end of the boom to the top of the mast to a pulley and down to a cleat on the mast where you can reach it. You can then control the boom height from falling when you lower your mainsail. This is a must!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a topping lift also. Another idea is to add a pigtail on the backstay that clips to the end of the boom.

JDK

Jul 12, 2007
Mac 26D 1988 New Port Richey, Fl
The factory installation had a short cable with a clip on it attached about 1/4 way up the backstay. That was to be clipped to the end of the boom to hold it up when the sail was not hoisted. Then, when you went to lower the main, you'd attach the clip and the backstay would support the boom again while the sail was not tensioned.

As beamreach states, the easy way is to rig a topping lift. The downside to the factory arrangement was when you deployed the main and forgot to unclip the boom from the backstay. I've seen some serious side strain on the backstay from a mainsail that wanted to pull leeward but was clipped to the backstay...not on my boat, of course, but on some other boat...I can't remember the name...or the date...but it definetly wasn't mine because I would never have forgotten to unclip it.

JDK

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
Is the topping lift used while sailing, or like the pigtail only when the sail is down.

Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
JDK - Just saw your reply, thanks everyone for your input. I have a better understanding of this now.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
My 26S did not have a topping lift when I bought it. I added one to keep the boom out of the cockpit. I considered the pigtail on the backstay, but reading convinced me that the topping lift was more useful, since it is instantly and infinitely adjustable, and doesn't require the boom to be centered. Reefing should be much easier and safer. So far I have been well satisfied with it. All you need is about 60' of 1/4 or 5/16" line, a single block mounted on the chicken head (I used a single pulley wheel mounted in the chicken head), an ss eyebolt screwed into the end of the boom, a snap on the end of the line, and a cleat on the mast. -Paul

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Ok, what do you with the topping lift under sail? Is is still connected?
You should put some slack in it undersail so that the sail is holding the boom up and not the topping lift.

We installed one before we ever went out......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-3.html

....and love it. It comes in handy when reefing also as it holds the boom up. If you are in high wind and reefing it is not a good idea to clip the boom on the backstay if you have the clip there.

You will also love it when anchored and other times when lifting the boom up gives you more freedom in the cockpit.

On anchor we hook the boom to the backstay with the clip that came there (second arrow down on right) and then pull it up against that clip with the topping lift (top right arrow). That keeps it from swinging all around, but there is still some movement so we started keeping the boom control line hooked up and we hook it to a carabiner that is hooked to the stanchion base next to the cabin/cockpit bulkhead used by the life line (other two bottom arrows). We pull The boom control line (main sheet) snug and that keeps the boom in one place as the boat swings back and forth on anchor.

Put one on and you won't regret it,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID
Our Mac Pages
Mac Links

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.

I installed this tang on the 'chicken neck' so that I can attach a pulley and continous line to use as a topping lift, flag halyard, and in the future a camera hoist.

I tie it off to a push pit rail.

A topping lift is released for sailing.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
Toplift

Is the topping lift used while sailing, or like the pigtail only when the sail is down.
First: A toplift is not a necessity. Unless you have a really big boat.

It is a very nice convenience. I rig the topllift from the outer end of the boom through a mast head pulley and then tie it off at the sliding gooseneck. When I rig the toplift (Boat is trailered) I adjust the toplift to maintain the boom about six inches below the position it will be in when the main is raised. When the main is up the toplift is loose and does not interfere with the shape of the main.

The nice thing about the sliding gooseneck and the toplift is I when anchored or beached I can place the boom at any desired height above the deck.

Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
Sumner.

Thanks for the pictures and input, I like the idea for the sollar shower as well. Not to get off the subject, but what is the bolt on the top fwd side of the mast for (it is in the 3rd picture you posted within your link).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
/\ yeah that

I couldn't imagine not having something to support the boom when the sail is lowered. It's not only convenient, it is safer. :eek:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Not to get off the subject, but what is the bolt on the top fwd side of the mast for (it is in the 3rd picture you posted within your link).

If you are talking about the bolt in the picture above, I think it was where....

.... the windex wind vane was mounted before I moved it to the top of the mast next to the anchor light. I've forgotten 1/2 of what I've done :doh:, sorry.

Now if we could only remember to attach the windex. So far we have only remembered to attach it once and then we forgot to detach it before trailering 100 miles home, but somehow it survived that :redface:.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
I've Gotta agree with Justin. even the boom on a small boat like my old O'day 17 could put some serious dents in someone'd head when lowering the main. I have the same simple arrangement on my 21 as I did on the 17 - a light line from the mast top to the back of the boom set up to slack a bit when the main is hoisted fully. The 17 had no backstay, but I use the pigtail on the stay of the 21(only forgot to unclip it once-which was enough).:naughty:

Feb 19, 2010
Macgregor 1995 26s Windycrest Sailing Club, Lake Keystone, OK
I just looked through the owners manual someone posted under owner modifications for a 26c. It shows nothing as far as boom lifts go. Mine came with a 5/16 rope running from the masthead to the end of the boom. I just tie off the boom at level or just above with a bowline. However, this method makes small adjustments under sail difficult to do. May have to add a pulley and longer rope. However, for now what I have is satisfactory.

Dec 20, 2009
MacGregor 26D Fort Worth
yes, the picture below

I have the same bolt in question on my mast, but it is not being used for anything.

If you are talking about the bolt in the picture above, I think it was where....

.... the windex wind vane was mounted before I moved it to the top of the mast next to the anchor light. I've forgotten 1/2 of what I've done :doh:, sorry.

Now if we could only remember to attach the windex. So far we have only remembered to attach it once and then we forgot to detach it before trailering 100 miles home, but somehow it survived that :redface:.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.