Boom Secure to Backstay Catalina Capri 22

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
There is a U shape attachment on the aft end of the boom. A clip, which is rigged to the backstay, attaches to the U shape attachment. The system is used when you want the boom held fast so that it doesn't swing. The system is used only when not under sail. The U shape attachment has broken. Is there a replacement out there? If so, where can I purchase? Or if no replacement, are there any ideas for a substitute attachment. I can forward a picture if necessary.
Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pictures yes.
Only if you want comments from some of the skilled boat owners ( more than a few are or have been engineers, machinists etc.) who own a boat but not your brand.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
I may have been in your situation though the term "U shape" suggests otherwise. Several years ago, the nylon-looking bar that ran thru the boom's end fitting to which I'd attached the brass hook on the end of the braided wire spliced into the back stay broke. I elected to replace this with a stainless bolt/nut assembly. I inserted a nylon-like tube between the two holes at the end fitting so that my bolt was encased in nylon; after using the nut, I hacksawed off any protruding bolt; lastly I covered the nut with a plastic cap, so that any head to nut encounter would be softened.
This alternate material replacement of the original nylon-like bar has worked for me.
Wooster

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My old C22 just had a flat stainless piece of 1” flat stock with a bolt to fix it to the boom and an oval slot in the other end. Almost if not identical to the boom end of my C36.
Pictures help but it should be easy to fab up a replacement. Or take current one to a welding shop for repair.

I hate the pigtail method of a “topping lift”. It’s almost impossible to raise and lower main gracefully while solo sailing.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
While the pigtail on the backstay is not elegant, it serves the frugal nature of the C22 design. The spars are able to be man handled as compared to a C 36.
More than one C22 owner has experienced the type of issue and they have resolved it in several ways. @juradog the solution depends on your DIY skills and what you want to do with your boat.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
...I hate the pigtail method of a “topping lift”. It’s almost impossible to raise and lower main gracefully while solo sailing.
Les
Boom Kicker has been the best $200 I've spent on my capri 22 MKII. It consists of two fiberglass rods which mount under the boom/on lower section of the mast and serves as leaf springs. Now (well, since I got the Boom Kicker, 10 years ago) when I let loose the halyard and the main comes sliding down, the boom remains horizontal rather than dropping on the deck.
Wooster who lowered the mast today

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Boom Kicker has been the best $200 I've spent on my capri 22 MKII. It consists of two fiberglass rods which mount under the boom/on lower section of the mast and serves as leaf springs. Now (well, since I got the Boom Kicker, 10 years ago) when I let loose the halyard and the main comes sliding down, the boom remains horizontal rather than dropping on the deck.
Wooster who lowered the mast today
I second that....

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
Thanks to all. Jssailem- Can't master how to send photo. Tried Cust. Service. No return call. Can you help? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
Sure
Save your image in jpg format on your desktop.
Use the “upload a file” button.
Locate the file on your desktop.
Click on it and wait.
It will pop up on the website page.
Locate your insert spot in your text. Click on the space. Move down to the uploaded image and click on either the thumbnail or the full image button.

I use the thumbnail most often. Easier on members that have slow connections. They do not need to download a large file unless they want it.

Oct 22, 2014
Here is the image @juradog wanted to post.
Broken Boom Hook.jpg
My eyes suggest the broken piece at the end of the boom looks to be plastic not metal.
Assuming the purpose is as described
A clip, which is rigged to the backstay, attaches to the U shape attachment.
This serves like a boom loop. It has given up the ghost due to age.
It might be replaced by a
Boom Bail

or a Clevis pin straight across the end of the boom if the bail is too big.
D1162_S01.jpg
Even two holes and a length of dyneema might work.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
It is not the most elegant solution but a stainless screw does the job. A Clevis pin would be better.