Boom questions

ULost

Sep 24, 2019
Hunter 23 My driveway
Can someone help me to identify the lines on this boom. From left to right, I believe the middle one (wire attached to rope on other end) is the outhaul. Other than that I have no idea. This is off my H23 1988.
20191012_121658.jpg

20191012_121708.jpg

For extra credit identifiy the 'hoops" on the bottom of the boom.
20191012_121744.jpg

I'm guessing this is for the boom vang?
20191012_121751.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Ofthe other two, one may be the topping lift and the other could be the clew reefing line. Just guessing.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I agree with the other Rick, reefing line and topping lift. You should be able to tell which by the length. Oh, but if you have 2 reefing points on the main, then these would be for the 2 reefing lines.

The loops under the boom: farthest aft is for the reefing line, farthest forward is for the boom vang. The next one aft of the boom vang is for the mainsheet. If there are 4 in total then I'd say both the aft ones are for reefing lines.

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
My 87 H23 is topping lift, outhaul, reefing line. agree with both Rick's on the other. Does look like a 2 reef setup.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I had a 290 and those two are for reefing and can be set up to run back to the cockpit if you have enough clutches for them. Manual should have a diagram of how to run them.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The hoops under the boom are for the vang. Only one is used but having two gives you a choice of angle and purchase. I think both of the lines aside of the outhaul are for reefing. There should be an eye on the side of the boom for the reefing lines to tie off on. They should be close to lining up with the reefing grommet on the sail. This boom doesn't appear to be set up for topping lift. The manufacturer may be assuming that the user will have a rigid vang or boom kicker.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Does that tang at the aft end of the boom not have a hole in it for the topping lift?

ULost

Sep 24, 2019
Hunter 23 My driveway
Thanks for the responses, I've looked in the manual for answers. Its a little lacking. Ill look for a loop for the topping lift, maybe I missed it. I want to clean the lines and cant seem to get the outhaul line to move more than a few inches. Any reason why? Besides its rusted.

ULost

Sep 24, 2019
Hunter 23 My driveway
So after a little more online research and browsing the forum I found this by @Tony_Furst. While talking about a 23.5, the setup seems similar to mine.

"There should be three lines in your boom, one line is for your jiffy reefing, usually the starboard most line, the center line is your outhaul, and the line to port is for your topping lift adjustment. The topping lift should be attached with a shackle of some fashion to the end of the adjuster line so that you have control of sail shape as well as the ability to lift the boom up and out of the way if your anchored and want the clearance."

Last edited:

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
I don't have a cable like yours I use double braid Polly.

ULost

Sep 24, 2019
Hunter 23 My driveway
@P100D are you talking about the outhaul line? Really? Do you remember the size? I'm thinking it will need to be replaced.

Oct 17, 2017
Hunter 31 Deltaville
On my Hunter 31 the left port line is the first reef and the right starboard line is the second reef on your first picture. The center is outhaul for main full sail sail. I am about to run a triple block and four single blocks to run the reef lines back to the cockpit so I can reef without leaving the cockpit.