Boating Card

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
For my fellow California sailors... Do you have your CA Boating Card yet? I have a few more years (I think) before I am required to get one. What about you guys?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Nope. I still have time, but thanks for the reminder. My daughter needs hers. I may just get mine anyway.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Well, I'm in New York, but I believe we have the same time frames as you do in CA. So technically I have the same time frame before it's mandatory for me to get a New York issued card. But my insurance agent told me I'd get a discount on insurance if I had one, so I got one last year. I now feel so much safer... ;)

dj

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm afraid to ask what a Boat Card is. Especially in CA
Virgina also has them. You need to take and pass a boater safety course/quiz (BoatUS has the course/quiz free online) and you get a card that looks similar to a driver's license. I have mine and most states respect recipricosity. Alabama also had a "boater's license" but it was mostly a tax you paid and got a note added to your driver's license. So if you are boating in Alabama... be aware! There are people on the water with even less of a clue than what you normally assume.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I got one here in Oregon a year or two ago. operating any boat with over 10hp motor requires it (I had bought a power boat, but sold it since). I was actually quite surprised at how in depth the test was. I figured I would just blow through it but I actually had to do some fairly serious study to successfully pass my test. guess I'm not as smart as I thought I was ;)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've always wondered whether a local LEO would accept a USCG 200 ton ticket, not that I carry that in the dink or off my boat.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Yes the admiral and I both have them. We went the route of totally free state testing a few years back. At the time I said I wanted to do it while I could still pass it.
This could not be a better time to get it done if you are in “covid retirement”.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've always wondered whether a local LEO would accept a USCG 200 ton ticket, not that I carry that in the dink or off my boat.
Yes, commercial fishing license also exempt. Following are GC licenses that are exempt.
  • Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (6-pack),
  • Limited Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels
  • Master 25-200 Near Coastal
  • Master 25-200 Inland
  • Limited Master

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Is there an initial cost then annual or periodic fee required for new card along with new test similar to drivers' license? Since it is issued by coast guard, is it accepted in all states? Seems that rules on the water can't be that different.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is there an initial cost then annual or periodic fee required for new card along with new test similar to drivers' license? Since it is issued by coast guard, is it accepted in all states? Seems that rules on the water can't be that different.
It's my understanding that the New York safety card is once and done, for life. No annual or periodic charge. Also, this was not issued by the Coast Guard, it was issued by NASBLA - National Association of Boating Law Administrators. It is endorsed by the Coast Guard, but not issued by the Coast Guard. At least that's the card I have.

dj

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
It’s free and it’s good for life

• Helpful
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The California Boater Card is only issued and recognized in state and they don't accept similar cards from other states. It's $10 for a lifetime card and if lost a replacement is $5. You must take an approved course one of which is a free home study provided by Department of Boating and Waterways.
Boating Safety Classes and Courses
It's only required of residents, visitors not required if less than 90 days in CA waters.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Thanks, that is good to know.
This is a good time to get started.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I've taken the USCG Auxiliary safety course twice and got a certificate but no card. It does save on insurance costs. Curious when Massachusetts will start requiring it.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
I got the test booklet from the local DMV and was dutifully studying for the test. Then I left my office open and my dog got in and ate it.

No joke. He loves to eat paper and that book must have been especially tasty. It will be some time before I decide to brave the crowds at the DMV offices just to get another copy.

• Ha
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Damn. I passed the test back in 2017. Thinking that I wouldn't need the card until 2025 I never applied and just forgot about it. Now I see that if you took the test before 2018 it doesn't count! Back to the drawing board....