Boating Card

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
illegal" things
Wasn’t saying illegal Jon though some things are. Mostly it’s the dangerous things that come with lack of knowledge. I’ve ( and you I’m sure) have seen us sailors do dumb things as well. With power it just happens faster and maybe more often because there is more of them.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i hear you. i just worry about more and more rules.

little known fact. there are no, i mean zero regs on ice boats. no registration. no fees. no nothing. no rules of the road. no DNR. no coast guard. nothing.

go out on the ice, have some fun, go home.

lots of regs on fish shanties. fees to pay. rules to follow. money to the gov.

ice boating is from a different era. no rules. no fees.

i love it.

don't tell anyone

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
lots of regs on fish shanties. fees to pay. rules to follow. money to the gov.

ice boating is from a different era. no rules. no fees.
Shouldn’t say that out loud. You never know when some government employee might overhear you. I agree there are enough rules, maybe too many, and I don’t see the rules as the big problem. Errors in Navigation and reading a chart seem to cause more problems around here.
would love to try ice sailing but it never gets cold enough out here ( same reason I never learned to ice skate)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I never learned to ice skate
At your age you might just have to pass on that experience. It is kind of like running aground. It is not if you will fall just when. When your young you can bounce back quickly. My wife thought it would be fun to go ice skating with the kids. All went well till the kids went around the ice with their Mom. My wife pushed away from the rail, “I am going to take one last circle on the ice!” Swoop up, down, I‘m Ok. Your wrist is broken. “No I am fine” we are going to the emergency!

8 weeks later, When is this cast coming off. Can‘t you cut it just a little.

It was a long 10 weeks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jon I like your Ice Boating. But that means you need to find a place with lots of ice. Perhpas during the next Ice Age I can explore the sport.