Boat renaming insperation

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Ive read post after post on renaming the boat im getting, seen numerous videos. but has any one read any books that had a renaming ceremony in it ? im thinking a good fiction book

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Google John Vigor Renaming --- it's actually all written down. :) You don't need a whole book, it's all on one 8 1/2 x 11 page! :)

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I've done 3 renaming ceremonies over the years, Each time I've written a new set of vows, Basically homage to the gods of wind and sea. Libations are required, dock party usually follows. Spend some time googling the various sources and then make it unique to you and your boat. The gods will honor your heartfelt and sincere words as long as they are accompanied by the proper amount of alcohol to wash them down properly. Other things to remember, if the boat had a name you must do a denaming ceremony prior to your naming ceremony

Also, Please be sure to avoid copper and gold, either too cheap or too lavish if placing a coin under the mast for additional luck.

Most of all proper homage with the correct amount of ceremony (and humor) will go a long way towards ensuring your naming ceremony is both successful as well as fun.

Enjoy

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've renamed every boat I've owned, well one went back to her original name, and never bothered with that stuff. Sailed oceans and survived storms aplenty, even some hurricanes at sea and caught lots of fish, so if you are worried about bad luck, I wouldn't.
If it's just for fun, then have on.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Gosh, I was just going to buy some sticky letters and apply them on my stern with my new chosen name on my project boat. Good thing I haven't applied them yet since I have change my mind at least 50 times. I hope I don't offend any Gods. ;)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
homey_article_story_large.jpg

To the OP, I hope your renaming ceremony goes without a hitch. But as far as superstition is concerned, "Homey don't play that".

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
Boat - Renaming
After a boat is de named, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

This article was taken from Good Old Boat Magazine, Volume 2, Number 4, July/August 1999

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Boat - Renaming
After a boat is de named, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:

"I name this ship ___________, and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."

This article was taken from Good Old Boat Magazine, Volume 2, Number 4, July/August 1999
Queen Elizabeth wanted to attend our renaming ceremony but I chose rather to let Queen Debbi have the honors.

btw. Remember to use white Champaign so it doesn't stain. ;)

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
My ceremony involved a lot of buffing where the vinyl letters used to be.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Today, you don't want to break the bottle (the environmentalist will go haywire), so as mentioned, use white champagne (or your wine of choice), poor a little for the ship, poor a bit for Neptune and a nip for each of the four wind gods. the rest is for friends and family.

Did I mention you will probably need more for the friends and family than the gods, just make sure they get theirs first.

Enjoy, its a great way to start the season with a new boat.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
LOL , I didn't mean to say how do you do a renaming ceremony, I meant to say has any one read about one in a good fiction book?