Boat lift question

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I'm going to change out the centerboard uphaul on my '98 H240 before launch this spring. The only lift I have access to locally is stationary, and has straps that connect to a center block rather than on each side like a travelift. There are 2 blocks, one for each strap. Will this type of lift exert too much pressure on the rubrails or deck by pulling from the center? I asked the dealership about putting a long board across the deck at each strap to hold them off the rubrail, but they were not excited about that idea for safety reasons.
Anyone used this type of lift with a 240 or 260?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
send me a private message. This is one where I need to see a photo and talk with you as I would be the expert on this one to reply to.
Your friend, Dave

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I used some rough cut lumber to spread the straps on the deck use some padding of some kind between boat and lumber. Crazy Dave talked me through some of this process and was a lot of help.

Attachments

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
This was kind of scary way to lift but it was all I had.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Don’t rig like this! way to much stress on spreader boards. tried this first and boards started cracking.
48D2CB46-1A8C-4CDD-802D-98935150A0BF.jpeg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Don’t rig like this! way to much stress on spreader boards. tried this first and boards started cracking.
Lets see….
A little quick figuring off the top of my head….

I see about a 30⁰ angle on the top of the board to the straps there. Tangent of 30 is about .577. Force towards center therefore = about (1/.577)( down force on the strap). The boat weight is divided across both sides of the strap that goes under the boat, & force from the right = force from the left, so W(1/.577)/2. Therefore, for every 1,000 pounds of boat weight on the strap, the board is seeing about 866 pounds of compression. Sailboatdata says about 3600 pounds for that boat. Assuming that each of the two straps carries equal load, that gives 3.6(866)/2= about 1,500pounds of compression stress on that spreader board. That’s just from the top side of the board. Since the strap doesn’t go straight down from there, the bottom part of the strap adds more stress in addition to that.

Yep, the board might be a bit overloaded. I think that I might have gone with steel tube or at least screwed a couple of boards together to make a composite beam if it were me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Usually after I talk with someone I usually report backwith the findings and solution. I have built lifts, owned a travel lift and used other apparatus and see others I would not recommend. By talking to someone I know the questions to ask and a lot most of you would not think of. I just want to cut to the chase and get the meat of the information as I help many and you certainly do not know how much time I spend helping others on a daily basis not to mention traveling out of state to help as well.

Caverun. Will be gone Saturday but Sunday afternoon would be fine to talk as I will be snowed in per weather report.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks to all, will have a look at the lift tomorrow and report back. It sounds similar to the photos posted, but on a steel box frame, and lacks spreaders. This is a powerboat dealer who is used to lifting from eyes built into the hull. At least he is aware of the potential compression issues.

Feb 18, 2011
Ruled this lift out after talking to the owner. No spreader bars, and they will not allow any makeshift spreaders to be used. Photo attached. Guess I will drive a couple hours to the closest travelift. Crazy Dave- no need to talk now, but will be in touch, thanks for the offer.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2017
The boat is less than 2 tons. Right?

Do you really need a lift? Is it on a trailer now? Can you use a jack & blocks to move it off the trailer? If you get it on blocks or a cradle, will that give you the access you need to do the work that you want to do? That is the most cost effective way to do it & just about everything you need can come from your local Home Depot.

Alternately, do you know a guy with a bucket loader that can lift half the boat at a time with the loader? Can you attach a lifting strap to both sides of the bucket, so that the bucket acts like a built-in spreader? Will that be wide enough? Can you get two guys with loaders to lift from both ends of the boat? To give you a rough idea of what a common bucket loader can do, a CAT 580 comes with an 82" wide bucket standard & can lift over 6,000# on the loader end - http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specifi...hoe&make=Case&model=580+Super+M&modelid=91936 Some machines are more dainty. Other machines are even bigger. If 82" isn't wide enough, can you get two loaders on both sides of the boat & run straps between them for a wider lift?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Some sailboats in your size range (like a J-24) have a lifting eye that is built into the keel & accessible by running a single lifting strap up through the companionway hatch. I don't suppose that you might be so lucky as to have anything like that on this boat? My H-212 doesn't have that feature, but I thought that the question would be worth asking. If you do have that sort of hard lift point, then the motor boat lift would probably work fine.

Also, I have lifted my H212 with just straps & no spreaders. I can go measure the length of my straps if you like. Longer straps put less squeeze force on the boat. The 212 weighs about half of what your boat weighs (edit: when your water tanks are full).

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
I just checked the straps that came with my 212. They are 25' long x 2" wide. There are two of them. The previous owner launched with a single hook crane each time he used the boat. He used 2 slings with no spreaders. I did it with him once. We had no problems. My boat has a slightly wider beam than your does. My boat weighs about half of what yours does. My boat is about 3' shorter.

Edit:
Actually, I had a little goof when I looked up the weight of your boat on SailboatData. The 3,600# is displacement with the water tanks full. With them empty, the H240 is said to only weigh 2,300#. My 212 is 1,800# + gear. Since my 212 has been launched many times with a pair of 25' straps & no spreaders, I would not expect a lot of problems if you did the same with your boat.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
You can use the Marina Forklift with the straps they use to remove powerboats up to 32' from trailers. The fork are expandable to 10' on most.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When assumptions are made without knowing all the information nor any photos, then I frankly avoid making any suggestions.
@caverun Thank you for the photo and will make this suggestion. Going back to Roanoke any time soon? Call Pelican Point at Smith Mt. Lake which has a travel lift and ask for Tom Hardy who is a contractor and also operates the travel lift. He knows the Hunter water ballast boats and has worked on them for years. He is a close friend whom I have known for years and worked with him often. If you do decide to do this, call and I will help. Kermit and Rgranger brought their boats there and I helped them changing out the center board line.

I will make a few comments. First, I would never take a strap around any boat to a single lift point unless the straps are so long that they will not crush the hull in. I have done that just like Jimmy above did with a Hunter 26. Please note the straps were tied together so the straps would not slip from beneath the hull as the bow and stern are curved.

Jimmy also pointed out in the other photo not to put boards out spreading the straps one in front and the other in the rear. Why for several reasons. First it is unstable using two lift points not attached to one another. I would use a metal reinforced rectangular spreader to prevent from crushing the hull in with two straps and again tied together from one lifting point or again only using long straps just like Jimmy did so the hull will not be crushed by the straps. In addition one lift point and of course with a spreader it is more of balancing if anything. I have successfully launched boats much bigger just like the set up with Jimmy over bulkheads and even bridges (permission from highway dept and police of course) with masts up.

Caverun, thank you for the photo. I would have too been concerned just like you but worth a shot. I think a little higher and possibly could have been done like Jimmy. PM Jimmy to see from the deck of the boat to the lift point was when he lifted his boat and then go back and look at that rig again. If close, that of course would be your call.

As for forklifts picking up a sailboat with the forks alone, not good. Two contact points on the hull will depress the hull in unless it is a thick hull like some of the real old sailboats but again not recommended. As for using the two forks with straps, it would have to be the big wide long straps just like those used on the travel lifts at the lift points on some of the Hunters noted of course or guessing just right but the straps need to be tied together on the sides and the strap end on the furtherst point out on the fork needs to be secured to the fork so it cannot fall off or come in too far.

Some have taken boats off trailers successfully but from a liability standpoint, I will not comment as I have seen boats in the past damaged and in several cases folks got hurt. I have said enough on this point.

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
This might be a dumb question but since we are on the subject. How do you get the lifting strap between the hull and the trailer pads (whatever they are called) at the aft lift point on the H260?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Take a photo of your trailer with boat and post here. There was a redesign of the trailer and want to make sure before commenting further.

Aug 22, 2017
This might be a dumb question but since we are on the subject. How do you get the lifting strap between the hull and the trailer pads (whatever they are called) at the aft lift point on the H260?
I had a similar problem getting the straps out from between the bunks & the hull on my 212. At first, I tried using a hydraulic jack with some cribing blocks under the stern to make space between the hull & the bunks. Unfortunately the jackstand bracket on the front of the trailer collapsed. I then blocked up the front of the trailer & tried it again with success.