Boat leaning to port

Issac

Jun 22, 2021
Hunter 27 Greers Ferry
Just had a 1990 Hunter 27 delivered. After getting it into the slip, and secured, I went to get something from my truck. On the way back to the slip I noticed from a distance that there was one mast among all the others that was not pointing straight up - my boat. After getting back to the boat, I could tell that it is the boat that is leaning to port, not the mast. I do not see how this could simply be a weight distribution issue. The fuel tank is on the port side, and it is full. The holding tank is port, but empty. The batteries are starboard. There really is nothing else on board. I am being told this is simply a weight distribution issue, and we could fix it by adding weight to the starboard side. I do not like the sound of that solution - make the boat heavier. I am looking for some perspective. My gut is telling me that there is something wrong, maybe in the hull. But, I have no experience with this issue, and I do not want to blow it out of proportion. Thoughts?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Many boat list to one side or the other. Sometimes it is a weight distribution issue, sometimes it is a build issue.

Laying up glass in a production factory is not all that exact. It is not unusual for the resin to be unequally distributed, such that one side of the boat has more resin in the hull than the other. That and other variables in the build can lead to a boat not sitting on her lines. At the factory, taking time to correct this costs money which leads to lower profits. The solution is to add some weight to the high side, typically lead billets glassed to the hull.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A full 20 gal fuel tank weighs 160 lbs. if you can counter the list by standing to starboard, you have your answer.
And a 20 gallon water tank weighs 160 lbs. Where is the water tank?

The boat weighs in a somewhere around 6000 lbs, small amounts of weight can have a big impact on trim.

• Helpful
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Investigate the possibilities mentioned in the previous posts first. Then think about (1) items stored aboard, (2) previously added equipment like air conditioner, (3) the standing rigging....is it tuned correctly, (4) perhaps you have a stow-away, (5) is/was the wind blowing and causing the heel? No need to panic, just do some thoughtful searching for the cause and then make the changes that seem appropriate.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Of all the boats I have sailed, just about all of them, including mine, have a list to port or starboard. For all of the reasons mentioned above. It just is. Try to use that to your advantage. Just like you want to use prop walk to your advantage. Get to know your boat. Have fun with her. :) She'll quickly let you know what she likes.;)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Could I pose a possibility that the mast rigging may be longer on the starboard side. If you measure from the masthead, are both sides equal? We had a Catalina that needed adjustment and it would lean to port until we got it done.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I do not see how this could simply be a weight distribution issue. The fuel tank is on the port side, and it is full. The holding tank is port, but empty. The batteries are starboard. There really is nothing else on board. I am being told this is simply a weight distribution issue, and we could fix it by adding weight to the starboard side. My gut is telling me that there is something wrong, maybe in the hull. Thoughts?
Add hard liquor to the stbd side, soft drinks to the port side. My 2 cents, plus deposit.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do you have a picture that shows how bad the list is?
Since you just aquire the boat, I assume she is very lightly loaded with minimal equipment and stuff.

As All U Get implies, small changes in weight aloft can translate to significant changes in trim. Have you seen her out of the water? Her keel is straight? No hard grounding in her recent past?

-Will

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
There was a rumor around that O'Day's designers forgot to take into account the water tank weight when full, though not sure if provable. Mine heels to starboard where the water tank is. For one overnight, I fill only half full.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If you trust the water line on port and starboard sides, measure that to the water.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
My new to me Hunter 265 has a list to starboard, caused by the outboard, sail locker full of random boat stuff and battery bank on that side. Easily corrected by shifting my round behind to port.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Rather than trying to do this by eye, just measure rail to waterline at the widest lifeline stanchion. The rail (coaming) is symmetrical, and if you pick the corresponding point, they may be at the same height above water, which tends to also level side to side for some reason. Anyhow, drop a weighted line overboard and measure where the wetness begins. Do the same with the opposite side (hint, use the other end of the line so it starts dry). All that said, all boats list a little and the only reason you notice is that it is new (to you) and you're looking for problems. Take her out on a date, and you'll soon forget about her small faults!