Catalina 309 lists to port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2006
- - Austin
I performed a sea trial of our new Catalina 309 yesterday. My wife and I both noticed a fairly sustantial list to port both at dock and underway. The dealer says that listing is common and probably caused by the a/c unit that the dealer had installed in the port lazerette. He says that he is prepared to strategically place lead on the starboard side to correct the problem. My questions for Catalina Owners: 1. Is listing typical on Catalinas of this size? 2. Does the remedy he recommends sounds reasonable? Would it adversely affect the performance (we are cruisers, not racers), present and future value, or the future ability to recieve a "clean" survey? I have a couple of days to accept or return the boat so I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2004
Catalina 380 T Holland
I don't know about the 309, but

both the 30 and the 320 have a slight port list. Your dealer exacerabated it by putting the AC on the port side. I believe that I have also heard that the 310 has a port list, and the 309 has the same hull as the 310. Unless the list is excessive (say more than about 2 - 3 degrees), you're in with the majority of Catalina owners that have a (slightly) askew boat. The dealer can correct the list (as he sugggested) by glassing some lead in on starboard. Just make sure that 1) he doesn't have to add to much (the closer to the center he glasses it, the more he will have to add), and 2) that he doesn't affect the forward / aft trim of the boat. Steve Alchemist C-30T Alchemist C-320

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Why add weight?

FWIW, almost all Catalinas list, and most to port! I know, this sounds crazy. But what happens after a while is that YOU add weight to the boat by your possessions, food, tools, etc. So, I would recommend avoiding any lead, and "do it yourself" with your own gear.

T

Tim McCarty

hmmm, we have a 310 that doesn't list to port

I'm pretty anal about our boat...adjusting shrouds, etc. and I would surely notice a port list...having said that I do know that boats WILL list if they add things like a genset, or possibly an AC compressor...just my two cents...

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
Avoid adding "useless" weight

Cruiser or Racer, slow is slow and weight=slow. In my opinion, don't add any useless weight to your boat. I can't speak to "...almost all Catalina's list...", but adding a heavy piece of equipment - A/C, a generator, etc - could make any boat list. If you're dead set on correcting the list, think about what already exists on the boat that might be reasonably easily moved to offest the weight of the A/C, or think about what other useful things you might be adding to your boat that could offset the weight. Things such as additional water tanks and additional batteries can be heavy, but can be very useful - unlike 200-300 lbs of lead. Good Luck! Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
adjusting trim of the boat....

is a primary responsibility of any skipper. Cargo and equipment on any vessel should be arranged to give the boat it's best sailing trim. When racing, that would mean crew also. A boat whose bow is down will be slow and not respond well to it's rudder, so an effort should be made to shift weight aft to let the bow rise to its proper trim. If the boat has a 3 degree list to one side it would make sense that it will perform better(or worse) on one tack than the other. Moving 50 lbs of ballast (weight) from one end, or one side, to the other effectively changes the balance by 100 lbs. So to compensate for the additional weight added to your port side you need relocate approximately half of that weight to the starboard side. Figure out how much extra weight the dealer added with the AC unit and move half that much to the other side. You could start with the ground tackle, extra water jugs, portable genset, inflatable dingy and it's outboard motor, etc. Be creative, look under the aft bunk and see what can be moved from one side to the other. Since it's a new boat, keep the hull trim in mind when you start adding your own gear. Adding a little weight will not hurt the boat's performance as much as an improperly trimmed hull. Don't be afraid to add the dealer suggested ballast if you can't find any existing weight to shift. If you were worried about extra weight then you wouldn't have added the AC unit anyway.

P

Phil

Useless lead?

I have a 350 and it has a slight starboard list. Of course between the galley, lazeret, AC, etc. on the starboard side I wonder why. Suggestion, if yow are going to add lead two balance the boat make it useful lead. Increase your house batteries. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.