Boat Inspection Trip Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
thanks for the information. I will use it when my wife and I are shopping for boats. We have already looked at a few and this would have helped alot. I also like Don's idea of experienced people helping out looking at boats but not replacining a surveyor. Thanks again for posting this to the site. I hope you come back often and share your knowledge.
Wayne
It's always a good idea to have another set of eyes as well as a checklist as lists don't always cover the subtle things. I have a number of friends at SSYC, as well as my son, and who work for or with Harken and who would be happy to help someone as they all love looking at boats and certainly have the knowledge.

Aug 3, 2007
Catalina 22 Milwaukee WI
Thanks Don

When my wife and I start looking again and find something we like I will take you up on your offer.

Sep 25, 2008
Sunstar 28 Sidney, BC
Sailingdog, I have to say I found this thread very interesting and helpful as a boat owner. It gave me a lot of ideas of things I can do to better maintain my boat. It seems very useful to view one's own boat from the perspective of a buyer, even when not considering selling it.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Capt. Snorkle-

That's not a bad idea...to use the list above once a year or so and go over your own boat...

Apr 25, 2005
Macgregor Venture 25 My Backyard
Saildog,

I really liked the list of what to have and to look for. Do you have a checklist for opening and closing a boat? Or even what to look for and do prior to setting out on a trip whether a day or a week? It seems like when we take our boat out, we are always forgetting something that the other boat has on it, and it get frustrating and is somewhat embarassing.

Thanks,

Gregg

Oct 22, 2008
Gregg-

I do have a checklist for my boat, but it probably wouldn't apply to you for a few different reasons. First, my boat is a folding sport trimaran, and a fair bit of the checklist has to do with the unfolding and folding of the amas. However, if you're talking about a basic start of the season commissioning/end of the season de-commisioning list, I could probably put one together. :) Let me know via PM

Apr 25, 2005
You should have a PM as we speak. I really appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What's the other website? He's that good, I'd like to learn more....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
sd - Maine Sail wrote this on page one of this thread: "For those that don't know Sailing Dog, SD, Dog or Dawg he is a ver thorough contributing member to another forum I visit."

What other forum, I'd like to read more of your contributions.

Oct 22, 2008
I'm also on sailnet.com's forums, as well as the Telstar 28 owners forums and a couple others. :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
More Info On Moisture Meters

Seeing as the info in SD's post regarding moisture meters was my doing I feel it only appropriate to get a little more in-depth on the subject.

The link bellow will take you to more information about the use of the CT-33 moisture meter from Electrophysics in Canada.

Understanding The CT-33 Moisture Meter (LINK)

The article is not completely done yet, and I have more to add, but the meat and bones are up..

Please remember this is not to make you a competent surveyor or to replace using a surveyor. Owning a meter is a good idea for monitoring your current boat or for use when examining potential purchases.

For monitoring your current boat I suggest mapping out your deck and plotting the moisture levels on the map of your boats hull, deck or bulkheads. This is easy to do with graph paper and a tape measure. For instance, if last year you had a 22% reading 9 inches inboard of your gate stanchion and this year the reading is 27% you've likely got some leaks to attend to. Mapping the deck is a good idea when you sell the boat too as it can be presented to a buyer and lend credibility to you as a seller. If they see moisture levels remaining level over a two or three year period it may give them more comfort that it is stable..

Apr 25, 2005
Re: Boat Inspection Trip Tips, pt. 2

SAildog,

Thank you so much sor getting me started on the list. It loks like it is going to help me and my buddies out . If there is anything else you think of, please feel free to post it.

You are the best.

A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.