Boat dogs

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd rather play "grandparent" with dogs. Pet them, play with them, give them a treat but then let them go sailing with their human parent. Sorry JD, don't throw up!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Dogs love to sail! At least all of ours have; but they started on the boat as puppies. Same as kids - if you start them very young - you'll have sailors for life.

There's hassles with either (kids, dogs even partners at times,...) but they can add a lot to sailing.

Small is easier to handle getting on deck, into the dinghy, etc, but they're all good if you love dogs.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
I guess bottom line is... If it's a choice between my dog or the island...

I'll take my Dog..

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Hmm. I'm willing to be educated here, but is there such a thing as a 'federally registered emotional support dog'??

I'm NOT talking about ADA service dogs, which are trained for specific support tasks and are licenced. Squidd I'm sure your case is different. But everyone I know who has gone down this ESD route did it so that could pay a one-time fee to some web site, get a cheap plastic card, and now their dog flys free forever.
Maybe I could bring a note from my Dr.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Regarding dog shedding and rolling and smelling like a stable. Next time get a Poodle.
The two pictures below are from yesterday just after I broke the news to this guy about the choice I have for the next dog. I have the feeling he took the news OK however..
dog1.JPG
dog2.JPG

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we have an aussie. she loves her boat and her custom sun awning on the foredeck. she barks menacingly when drunk fishermen come too close to the transom and wiggles with joy when anyone of her 40 dock friends walks down the pier. she fiercely guards the marina from canada geese, to every one's joy and delight. but she does need walks at 2 am with human protection to keep her from chasing skunks and raccoons...

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
she fiercely guards the marina from canada geese, to every one's joy and delight.
Here's one-half of our dock patrol K9s, Ziggy, keeping the pelican poop somewhat at bay. Photo taken soon after she'd either fallen or jumped in, can't say which. Because of that incident, she's not allowed absolute free rein anymore.

image.jpeg

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
I sadly agree about friends with young kids, I had a couple with there kids on board running around treating it like a trampoline, they asked I thought we were going to leave the dock? I said are you kidding?