Block Island is open as of June 1

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We went to BI for the night yesterday. Yes, it's early but open. Most businesses are still closed due to the pre-season timing but they will open. Be aware the pumpout boat is only working weekends (for now). But they have lifted the quarantine restrictions and sailors can go ashore. Restaurants (those that opened early) are serving outdoors (only) or doing takeout business.

The overcast sky surprised us with a spectacular sunset. Temps were in the high 40s, and the water temps are chilling. It's still a bit too cold for my liking, so I took this shot from the portlight, inside.

BI sunset.jpeg

The beach was desolate, and the water clear.

Crescent Beach.jpeg

No fighting for moorings on June 1. Which one do you want? There were 2 other boats on moorings. There were 4 boats in the anchorage and a few other boats on private moorings. I decided to take the mooring rather than anchor because I knew we wouldn't be spending money ashore and wanted to make my contribution to the island. Champlins had two boats (a sailboat and the big tug that normally anchors all summer). Paynes and The Boat Basin had none.

Mooring field.jpeg

Downtown was nearly deserted. No ferries at the dock. (I think they're still only running a few a day until the season ramps up).
No people.jpeg

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We went to BI for the night yesterday. Yes, it's early but open. Most businesses are still closed due to the pre-season timing but they will open. Be aware the pumpout boat is only working weekends (for now). But they have lifted the quarantine restrictions and sailors can go ashore. Restaurants (those that opened early) are serving outdoors (only) or doing takeout business.

The overcast sky surprised us with a spectacular sunset. Temps were in the high 40s, and the water temps are chilling. It's still a bit too cold for my liking, so I took this shot from the portlight, inside.

View attachment 180249
The beach was desolate, and the water clear.

View attachment 180250

No fighting for moorings on June 1. Which one do you want? There were 2 other boats on moorings. There were 4 boats in the anchorage and a few other boats on private moorings. I decided to take the mooring rather than anchor because I knew we wouldn't be spending money ashore and wanted to make my contribution to the island. Champlins had two boats (a sailboat and the big tug that normally anchors all summer). Paynes and The Boat Basin had none.

View attachment 180251

Downtown was nearly deserted. No ferries at the dock. (I think they're still only running a few a day until the season ramps up).
View attachment 180252
Well that sounds great! We have been wondering what the sailing season was going to look like this year...... hope to bump into you in our eastward travels.

Greg

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Looks like you are approaching from the north before rounding 1BI. Love BI. Wondering how crowded all these destinations will be this season. Agree, it's a bit chilly before mid June.

Jun 14, 2010
Looks like you are approaching from the north before rounding 1BI. Love BI. Wondering how crowded all these destinations will be this season. Agree, it's a bit chilly before mid June.
We approached from Watch Hill Passage. That sunset picture was taken from a mooring in Salt Pond. We were in for the night when that shot was taken.
Here’s a view from near the Boat Basin looking out towards the private moorings and anchorage beyond near Breezy Point.
7576D47B-B6E2-4F72-8E60-058C929696F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Beautiful. The lack of crowds makes it like you have gone back in time as well as to a beautiful island.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
So we went back to BI, and it is busy. I'm shocked by the lack of "social distancing" going on. You'd think there's no Covid 19 anymore. We walked from the new public dinghy dock by Dead Eye Dick's into town and back, and I estimate that when walking or sitting close to others less than 5% of people are wearing masks, or wearing them properly. Probably 30-50% are carrying them in hand or wearing them improperly (below nose or chin). The majority had no mask in sight.
FOLKS, REOPENING DOES NOT MEAN THIS IS OVER! The next wave is coming, unfortunately. :huh:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
This seems to be a pattern. I understand good weather and getting out of the house but we are not out of this yet!
We almost decided not to launch this season but changed our mind and we're launching this Thursday. We'll spend the majority of our long weekend cruising at anchor but we do like visiting the Islands. Was curious if Aldo's is circling the harbor with fresh fish or morning pastries?