Jan 22, 2020
28.5 Hunter Navarre
I’m interested in purchasing a 1986 Hunter 28.5
The hull inspection shows some blisters
Is this a big deal? I’ve asked for more information, how extensive, how large
Thanks

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This implies you are trusting someone else to both look at and assess the extent or the problem.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I’m interested in purchasing a 1986 Hunter 28.5
The hull inspection shows some blisters
Is this a big deal? I’ve asked for more information, how extensive, how large
Thanks
Could be.

A few small blisters? Not a big deal.

A lot of small blisters? Yes.

One or two bigger blisters? Could be a big deal.

Lots of big blisters? Put on your walking shoes.

Blisters can be repaired. The question is how much time and money do you want to put into repairing them? It is all part of the price negotiation.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Blisters affect sailboats, like acne on a teenager, only more as they age. Why do you think expensive racing boats are kept out of the water unless they are about to train or race? I think avoidance. They want to preserve the hull integrity for as long as possible.

Water and Plastic hulls, are like greasy food and teenager hormone filled bodies.

Having accepted this as a compromise involved with boat ownership and keeping the boat in the water, I find David Pascoe helpful in understanding the issue of Boat Blisters and ways to deal with them.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
One persons blister problem is another persons entertainment. Of course we did buy this boat for $1000 and enjoy bringing boats back to life.
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1760.JPG

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I bought a 1986 Hunter 28.5 in 2003. A great boat that has lived up to all my expectations. That said, I would have walked away from buying this boat, or any boat, had I found any blisters on the hull when I inspected it prior to purchase. There are lots of boats on the market. Find one without problems at the outset and buy it.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
If you read his article on why boats blister you will see Dlochner's conclusion is blisters are a result of cheap resins that are water permeable and or shoddy construction. Variation in manufacturing processes over time in cost cutting efforts can result in a manufacturer producing runs of boats that don't blister while others do. But a boat that has been made with water permeable resins will never be blister free. May not be a big deal, your preference I suppose. I'd avoid it.

Not all boats blister, Marshalls for one don't- mines an '82 and has never had a single one, and I don't know any member of the catboat association with a Marshall that has had blisters. However they have all been built using the exact same method, by the same yard, with the same fiberglass materials and layup schedule since 1962.

Expensive racing boats are dry sailed (always hauled) to keep the bottoms as fair and growth free as possible, not to avoid blisters.

If that boats getting them, it will get more, and there's a reason it's getting them. I'd walk away personally, but it's up to you obviously.