Blister history of Catalina 310

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Last hauled my 2003 Catalina C310 four years ago had just three or four small blisters. Wonder about your boats
regarding age and blister history. Don't think would be worth it to haul just to see if had a bunch now. Am in fresh water.
Idle question while locked down.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I have hull 218 circa 2003. Never had a blister. I bought the boat in 2006 and put 5 coats of interprotect 2000 barrier coat and 2 coats of Pettit trinidad on the bottom with a third coat on control surafces and water line in 2007. Been using trinadad (or trinadad SR) every two (and recently three years) since with no blisters. I sail in southern cheaspake bay (home base elizabeth river) in brackish water.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Hull #44 never had blisters, clean and check the bottom every year. The checks are for zinc replacements

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Hull #48 - Same. Never had blisters, haul the boat every year (located in the Northeast), and I have bottom cleaned and painted every year.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My boat was not hauled for 5+ years from PO, hauled this summer and had a lot of blisters requiring a full bottom job. Came out beautifully and I plan to haul every summer per my marina recommendations to clean and touch up as required. Those that follow this routine are getting 3-5 years out of a bottom and not requiring a full strip to gel coat.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
No blisters yet on hull #231, 2003 model. Exclusively salt water; five years in Florida and ten years in New England. She has original barrier coat and for the last five seasons has had hydracoat bottom paint with seasonal touchup and sanding and recoat as needed.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
My boat was not hauled for 5+ years from PO, hauled this summer and had a lot of blisters requiring a full bottom job. Came out beautifully and I plan to haul every summer per my marina recommendations to clean and touch up as required. Those that follow this routine are getting 3-5 years out of a bottom and not requiring a full strip to gel coat.
I've never had a full strip to gel coat in the 6 years I've had my 2001.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Are you talking blisters in your bottom paint or in your gelcoat. There is a difference. Blisters in the paint could be from improper application. In the gelcoat could be improper layup when made.

FWIW, Hull 185 has never had a blister. I only haul out every 3-4 years and use ablative paint on the Potomac in fresh water. Minimal sanding after pressure washing and then painting on.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I've never had a full strip to gel coat in the 6 years I've had my 2001.
Ray had a good point about blisters in paint vs blisters in gel coat. Paint "blisters" easy
to get rid of.

Clyde Thorington
C310 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We just hauled out a friend's Newport. Had blisters everywhere. He says they dry out and go away. Paint vs gelcoat blisters.
I don't have any. Knock on 'glas

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yes mine was mostly in the paint. They sanded all off and started fresh. Also they applied the products that work best in our lake so aa long as I haul and clean annually should be good. Looking it over there were some areas that went deep into gell coat.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Yes mine was mostly in the paint. They sanded all off and started fresh. Also they applied the products that work best in our lake so aa long as I haul and clean annually should be good. Looking it over there were some areas that went deep into gell coat.
Do you have any pictures?

This is curious because Catalina used vinylester on the hills. I have, however found on small exception to this. The fairing on the keel to hull joint appears to be regular epoxy. I had one blister here but really this isn't a big deal because under this layer is either lead keel or vinylester hull.

For the record, our hull has not been out of the water for longer than a week since 2013. We are due (actually over due) for a bottom job again.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
This page has a couple of posts with pictures. I'm sure it isn't real bad, the paint was coming up and in a few spots after sanding around the keel as I recall. It could be just as you said @JK_Boston_Catalina310.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Both posts are showing the wrap at the keel stub I mentioned. This should be a regular maintenance item every 10-15 years. Not a big deal and not true blistering like older hulls with non-vinylester get.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Both posts are showing the wrap at the keel stub I mentioned. This should be a regular maintenance item every 10-15 years. Not a big deal and not true blistering like older hulls with non-vinylester get.
Agree with JK here. About 10 years ago I had some of the gelcoat on the keel peeling off. I just scraped it off, ground it down and applied some new epoxy and filler and then painted over. No big deal (except don't mix too much epoxy at one time in a plastic container, it could melt it. Don't ask how I know. :yikes:). Usually when we talk blisters, that is where the water has penetrated the gelcoat and perhaps into the fiberglass as well. Catalina with their vinylester layer has eliminated most of that but the problem was really with process. In the early days of fiberglass boats, they did not realize that once you started laying down the hull you keep going until you stop. The key is as you lay each layer the previous layer should still be tacky so they fuse a little as that is what gives you the resistance to penetration. Pearson Yachts figured that out in the 70's.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Last hauled my 2003 Catalina C310 four years ago had just three or four small blisters. Wonder about your boats
regarding age and blister history. Don't think would be worth it to haul just to see if had a bunch now. Am in fresh water.
Idle question while locked down.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Called Catalina factory talked to Jerry Douglas. He said C310s had vinyl barrier coat so should
not have any gelcoat blisters maybe paint blisters but no gelcoat blisters. Guess if you ground
and rub off barrier coat another story?

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA