Bleeding the fuel lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Although the Universal manual says that the M25XPB is self-bleeding that isn't necessarily so. So after replacing the filter, I unscrewed the bleed bolt on the housing and then went to the Racor Filter and unscrewed the primer pump and pumped until I started seeing fuel. Then I closed that bolt and opened the bleed bolt on the secondary fuel pump that is mechanically attached to the engine and cranked the engine until fuel came out. Closed the bold and fired the engine up.

PaulJ, Pictures with labels are attached.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Our experience has been that the electric fuel pump can do the work. Once I tried using the pump on the Racor and I still have pain in my fingers from that! I find that once I change the secondary filter, i need to crack that bolt to bleed our M25, although a friend with an M25XP has tested his and the electric fuel pump does all the work.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
For what it is worth I have had good results with the self-priming of the MX25XPB. I changed the filter, then loosened the screw on top of the racor housing to allow air an escape, then pumped the plastic handle two or three times to get fuel into the glass. Closed it all up, turned the key and waited ten seconds or so and fired it right up.

Sep 29, 2008
Perhaps I need more patience

Maybe I have been hanging with PaulJ too much. :Liar:

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
grasshopper

Maybe I have been hanging with PaulJ too much. :Liar:
Grasshopper,
when you can take the pebble from my hand you will have mastered patience and be ready to start the engine using the self-priming feature...:)

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I replaced the existing fuel pump with a new one a while back and now that I think I know what I'm doing :yeah: let the fuel pump run and do the work when I change filters.

thanks Stu

paulj :troll:

Attachments

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I will be changing both the primary and racor filters this weekend. So if I understand correctly, all I do is change the filters then press the starter to get fuel flowing? There's no need to bleed air with the self priming fuel pump?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
If you read the manual you will find that with Universal diesels you can bleed the system with the enging just turning over (a manual bleed, so to speak). No kingston cock pump like on a yanmar, for instance. It is assumed you don't have an electric fuel pump because you didn't mention it.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Like my old Vovl Penta-open the bleed hole and pump until fuel comes out. But if I'm understanding the manual and this thread right all I need to do with the Universal after replacing the filters is activate the electric fuel pump with the preheat switch-no need to bleed air. Right all and thanks?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
CCHer

I will be changing both the primary and racor filters this weekend. So if I understand correctly, all I do is change the filters then press the starter to get fuel flowing? There's no need to bleed air with the self priming fuel pump?

So if I understand correctly, all I do is change the filters then turn the key to on, then go below and listen to the fuel pump, then go back and turn key some more count to 5 by ones then press the starter button to get fuel flowing

Then grasshopper you will be in the know.....how exciting huh

paulj :troll:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Seems like with the M25xpb, if you are just replacing filters, as long as you fill the filters with fuel before you install them, the engine will crank a little bit, and then start right up. If it doesn't start on the first try, it's important to close the raw water intake while you crank again, then open the intake whan she starts.

Sep 29, 2008
Got an electric fuel pump

If you read the manual you will find that with Universal diesels you can bleed the system with the enging just turning over (a manual bleed, so to speak). No kingston cock pump like on a yanmar, for instance. It is assumed you don't have an electric fuel pump because you didn't mention it.
Bill, I have the same engine as all the rest. I beleive the engine would self bleed if I gave it enough time, but as the old saying goes "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." I am actually OK doing a manual bleed just to make sure things are all right.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Just replaced my engine mounted fuel filter.
Remember setting the points on you old car using the remote ignition switch to kick the engine over until the cam in the distributor opened the points fully? I used that old remote ignition switch that was lying around and connected one of the clips to the positive lead (after I disconnected the shovel connector) of the fuel pump and the other to a +12 source in the breaker panel. Now I can run the fuel pump while opening the bleed valves and be present right at the engine to monitor the action. Another advantage is, by not using the key switch in the spring loaded position to activate the fuel pump, the glow coils in the engine are not energizing for prolonged periods of time. I'm sure these coils have a life span.

Nov 17, 2009
Catalina C-310 Falmouth
I found the quickest way to bleed the fuel line is to unscrew the line at one of the injectors and have some one crank the engine until fuel comes out. I recommend holding a piece of cloth or paper towel at the open end of the fuel line since the amount of fuel is very small and hard to see. As soon as the fuel shows up, connect and tighten the line. The engine will fire up as soon as you attach the fuel line to the injector.
If you are not in a hurry, just wait a while for gravity to work and the line will likely self bleed.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No,please don't do that. There is absolutely NO reason to crack an injector to bleed an M25 series engine. The M25 needs to manually crack the knurled knob, the M25XP is supposed to be self-bleeding but can be done manually.

The newer M25XPB engines have different wiring than the older M25 and M25XP engines, in that the glow plugs are activated by the key switch which is needed to run the electric fuel pump before the engine starts. Key switch, glow plug, fuel pump runs, glow plugs off to start engine, fuel pump STOPS until oil pressure comes up when engine runs. They changed the wiring with the newer engines. To read the details of this strange newer wiring arrangement, dig your way through this looong thread linked in Reply #1: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5945.0.html, which goes to: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3347.0.html It has a long discussion about how the new wiring works, and concludes with JUST this issue about bleeding.

As far as basic bleeding is concerned, try these:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2884.0.html

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5925.0.html and read the embedded links, especially in reply #5.

There is no need to open the vent on the Racor, either. Let the electric pump do the work. I end up filling the Racor with injector cleaner.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5558.0.html

Your boat, your choice.

Just don't make what is easy into a hard exercise. Please don't reinvent the wheel, either. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.